Passive 35%  35%  [ 36 ]
Active but Odd 31%  31%  [ 32 ]
Over-Formal and Stilted 12%  12%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 102

JimSpark
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Oct 2017, 10:09 pm

I exhibit mostly Passive or Stilted characteristics. I voted Passive, as those seem to be those which most define my specific autism profile, and have been consistent throughout my life. As I get older, my Stilted characteristics have become less pronounced.

Passive: Gentle, suggestible, easily led. An introvert, need time to recuperate after socializing. Often react strongly when overstimulated, especially through anger and fear. Generous and friendly. Can quickly become distressed.

Stilted: Often appears neurotypical because I'm a good actor who has nearly perfected the art of passing. Very concerned with social propriety. Does not have insight to see my own emotional reactions. Earlier in life, I could usually hold meltdowns in until I got time to myself.

A little bit Active But Odd (memory/repetition), but virtually nothing Aloof.

LilZebra
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Oct 2017, 2:19 pm

I'm not sure I understand the question.

When I was a young boy in the early 1970s I had a few other boys my age in my neighbourhood. I made easy friends with them. When it came to school (Grades 1-3) I had some friends too. One in particular, Victor, watched ST:TOS. I used to watch Lost in Space, so we both had an interest in sci-fi. The other boys were interested in hockey.

When we moved to another nearby neighbourhood, I lost touch with the neighbourhood friends. Saw the school friends via Boy Scouts till start of Grade 7, then lost touch.

By then I really craved "tactile", but began feeling isolated. Had two sisters and no brothers.

These days I participate in a "Leisure Group" at our local mental health organization. We have various activities like play board games, watch movies, etc.

I have two housemates where I live -- one is Bipolar 2, the other is Schizo. Affective. Not an easy thing to get along with these men.

I had gaps of no friends at various times. Doesn't make me a 'loser', just no one with similar interests at the time. Eventually a new friend will come along at some point. Until then I am happy being (relatively alone).

So I don't know which one to pick really.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 2:27 pm

LilZebra wrote:
I'm not sure I understand the question.

When I was a young boy in the early 1970s I had a few other boys my age in my neighbourhood. I made easy friends with them. When it came to school (Grades 1-3) I had some friends too. One in particular, Victor, watched ST:TOS. I used to watch Lost in Space, so we both had an interest in sci-fi. The other boys were interested in hockey.

When we moved to another nearby neighbourhood, I lost touch with the neighbourhood friends. Saw the school friends via Boy Scouts till start of Grade 7, then lost touch.

By then I really craved "tactile", but began feeling isolated. Had two sisters and no brothers.

These days I participate in a "Leisure Group" at our local mental health organization. We have various activities like play board games, watch movies, etc.

I have two housemates where I live -- one is Bipolar 2, the other is Schizo. Affective. Not an easy thing to get along with these men.

I had gaps of no friends at various times. Doesn't make me a 'loser', just no one with similar interests at the time. Eventually a new friend will come along at some point. Until then I am happy being (relatively alone).

So I don't know which one to pick really.

Skilpadde found this online test https://www.onlineassessmenttool.com/which-lorna-wing-type-are-you/assessment-19139. It isn't scientific but seems pretty accurate. It has 10 questions and will give you percentages of what each thing you are. I voted aloof before taking the test. Then I took the test and my results were 90% Aloof and 10% Passive. So pick the subtype you have the highest percentage in your results.

Eliza_Day
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Oct 2017, 7:04 pm

I've been all of these subtypes at different stages in my life.

In early childhood I was "active but odd" and stood out from the crowd; this would often cause misunderstandings and eventually my personality changed to become "passive". I was just trying to go under the radar because I was made to feel that I was "wrong". Around this time I was being bullied, which stifled the real me even more.

Between adolescence and young adulthood l was "stilted" and gave up trying to be accepted by my peers, who didn't like me because I was too well behaved, so I gravitated towards adults because they were more tolerant and didn't mind my quirks. I wasn't interested in going out drinking and was afraid of boys and men so didn't want to be around them in case they tried to pressurise me into sex.

By the time I hit my late twenties my personality became "aloof" and I've been that way ever since.

I feel disappointed that I've allowed other people to affect my behaviour, and it seems as though my life has never really been my own.

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 10:40 pm

50% Passive
30% Stilted
20% Aloof
0% Active, but Odd
(Lorna Wing Type)

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 10:37 am

I got 40% active but odd, 30% aloof, 20% passive, and 10% stilted

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 10:46 am

40% Stilted; 30% Active but Odd; 20% Passive; and 10% Aloof

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 12:27 pm

I seem to straddle across Lorna Wing's pigeon-holes, like I usually do with most tests that are grounded in more than a certain degree of reductionism. Everything in those 4 categories is, or has been, somewhat true of me, and to pick any one of them as my type would, I think, be pretty misleading. So I don't feel I can honestly vote.

The other test mentioned might be more wholistic, I hope to try that soon if I get the time.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 8:10 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
There is an interesting test here:
https://www.onlineassessmenttool.com/wh ... ment-19139

I just took it, and my result is:

60% Aloof
30% Passive
10% Active but odd

Before the test, I would have said "aloof, with a slight bit of passive mixed in", so it seems accurate. Unfortunately you need to make an account there in order to get the result.

Thanks, Skilpadde 8)
Glad to say the email address doesn't have to be real 8). They didn't ask me to create an account till I'd done the test, and then they acted as if they were going to make me do the test again, but then my results popped up. For users of NoScript, the only scripts necessary were onlineassessmentstool.com and the cloudfront one.

For most of the questions there wasn't an answer that felt particularly right for me, so again I was aware of reductionism and got the impression that the test wasn't measuring me very well.

Looking back at the original post's descriptions:

1. Aloof group, which is supposed to be the most common type. They often act indifferent to others, show little facial expression and might not enjoy light touch but respond to rough and tumble play. 10% score - possibly near the truth. The only element I see in myself is not enjoying light tough (because of my sensory issues). The "rough and tumble" seems aimed at children.

2. Passive group, which is the least common type. They accept social approaches but initiate few. They have the least problems in childhood but some develop behavior problems in adolescence. 30% score - again, possibly accurate, but my tendency to initiate social approaches was strong at first and tapered off as I got older, and it's hard to know where I was with behavioural problems, my primary caregiver had more of those than I ever did, and although I had more social behaviour problems in my teens, they might not have been any worse than any normal teenager goes through.

3. Active but odd group, who make active approaches but have no real understanding of how to interact socially. Tend to be very tactile. 0% score. I'd have expected it to be higher, as I started out pretty extravert and even in my 40s and 50s I was getting more and more adept at approaching potential partners, though it was a learned process. And my understanding of how to interact socially gradually improved over the decades.

4. Over-formal stilted group, often a pattern only seen in adolescence. Try very hard to behave right and well but have no true understanding of social rules. Tend to be very rigid about sticking to rules they learned.
(shortened & taken from The autism spectrum' Dr. Lorna Wing)
60% score. I'd have expected it to be lower. I'm not especially formal or stilted, and like I said I do understand a lot about "how to interact socially" - there's some truth in the result, but I have a strong informal, immediate side. I often take pains to seem like the people I'm with, but I also like to be an individual and show them something different to the norm. I can stick rigidly to rules I've learned, but I often catch myself doing that and I'm no stranger to bending or breaking them, either quietly or quite openly, if I don't like them.

All in all, I don't think my test scores have shown me anything. I doubt the validity of the subtypes, they seem pretty arbitrary.

bumbleme
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Oct 2017, 11:34 pm

Embla wrote:
Yeah.

50% passive

30% stilted

20% aloof

I got the same, but with stilted and aloof switched.

CubeComet
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Oct 2017, 6:15 am

50% Stilted.
40% Passive
10% Aloof
0% Active but odd.

Stilted was unexpected from the definition given. I expected them to be more formal, while I tend to have more of a gentleness and softspoken playfulness. Though, reading on it online, I do notice similarities. I used to have some intense fears of not being liked and still have a much more slight version of those fears today. I’d spend hours observing and analyzing others to learn to adapt well. And being an Aspie boosted what intense social anxiety I had as everyone else seemed to get things I didn’t.

It wasn’t that fun as you can imagine. But I’ve gradually relaxed to being calm about it most of the day.

But as I did, noticing social patterns was still . . . interesting. Hey, I sure can terrible at it sometimes, but I do like learning about many things I’m terrible at it. What oddly began with a fear that I hated and resisted became something like a fascinating study - with similar feelings about it as my interest in reading about hard sciences and other hobbies I do alone. It became a game and even when I’m alone, I’d go online to observe different online communities and try to consciously pick up their culture and unwritten beliefs. I’d watch and read different pieces of fiction. I’d always read the reviews and comments because people kept picking stuff up I didn’t get. I used to get bullied all the time but as time passed, I’ve seen less and less.

I still come off as odd in certain ways though. No matter how much I practice, I can’t make eye contact. I really hate going even a few seconds without stimming so I don’t bother changing that. I’m still pretty introverted and overwhelmed easily but I don’t force myself to go out when I’m tired socially. All that observing whether in real life or online can drain me out more easily than other people eventually. I especially have this bad habit of not realizing when I’m interrupting or distracting people. I find that I have this “left brain stage”where I get bored by all my study of people and go find hobbies without people involved.

Eh. Oh well. I guess I both like and hate it. I’ll adapt to an extent for this interest but it’ll be only up to a point.

I don’t really mind much anymore though. . . what’s beyond that point.

And that’s that.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 3:03 pm

livingwithautism wrote:
1. Aloof group, which is supposed to be the most common type. They often act indifferent to others, show little facial expression and might not enjoy light touch but resond to rough and tumble play.
2. Passive group, which is the least common type. They accept social approaches but initiate few. They have the least problems in childhood but some develope behavior problems in adolescence.
3. Active but odd group, who make active approaches but have no real understanding of how to interact socially. Tend to be very tactile.
4. Over-formal stilted group, often a pattern only seen in adolescence. Try very hard to behave right and well but have no true understanding of social rules. Tend to be very ridgid about sticking to rules they learned.
(shortened & taken from The autism spectrum' Dr. Lorna Wing)

Which type are you, and how has it affected you?

2 and 4

Ragnahawk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Oct 2017, 3:33 pm

Yeah no. This is very basic. I have qualities of some, but they have anti qualities as well. Which makes no sense. :roll: :nerdy:

I am INTP. The thinking process I use. Combine that with my autistic quirks and I display traits outside of my personality type. For example, an insistence on sameness, structure is a quality that a sensing person could be confused with. I am also a man of possibilities with the same thing. I am very active in interacting but it's due to my desire to understand people. I do not like physical confrontation.

I've migrated over to autismforums. PM me for anything, although I'm better contacted over at autismforums.

shilohmm
Raven
Raven

23 Oct 2017, 5:01 pm

livingwithautism wrote:
Which type are you, and how has it affected you?

My survey scores were:

50% Passive
30% Aloof
20% Stilted
0% Active but Odd

I'm wondering if some of these descriptions are more accurate for youngsters than for adults. When I was little I liked rough and tumble play, but that hasn't been the case for many years now. I'm definitely a perseverative thinker and introvert (Passive). I've been described as aloof right regularly, but I don't think of myself as "deeply sensory and incredibly in tune with [my] environment." (Aloof). I take social propriety seriously for survival reasons, but I don't know that I'm more concerned about it that average for someone on the spectrum; OTOH, I certainly struggled with not having much "insight to see [my] own emotional reactions" when I was younger (both Stilted qualities).

I've definitely been called 'odd' over the years, but looking at the descriptions I'm not surprised I didn't get any 'active but odd' points.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 5:24 pm

I'd say over formal and stilted, if I had to pick a category.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2017, 8:04 am

https://www.onlineassessmenttool.com/in ... anguage=en

Here's me (40% passive, 40% aloof, 20% stilted, 0% active but odd). Which I don't agree with. I'd say 75% passive, 25% active but odd. I don't speak up in social interactions, even with my own household, very often. Mostly I say things like "I'll be happy to" and "Sure" and "Good idea!" and go-along-to-get-along type stuff like that. I come HERE to be opinionated and outspoken and say exactly what I think and feel. Which I guess makes me a troll, IDK.

Sometimes, I want to be heard. I have questions, I have opinions, I have something I need to say. And when I do, I usually say something weird. I have some really good friends that I keep for years and years and years (usually until they crack from not dealing with their issues and end up doing something I can't tolerate, like calling me at work to cuss me out for being at work instead of at their service or staging a suicide attempt, trying to seduce my husband, and then trying to accuse him of trying to take advantage of them-- yes, I stood there and watched both of those things happen). I don't have "social friends" or "acquaintances" or whatever the nice people are calling them these days.