Autism may be mercury poisoning after all...

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Ragnahawk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Oct 2017, 12:55 pm

Looking wrote:
I might be dogmatic etc as well. I just don’t believe all this anti-vaccine stuff. All that scaremongering about MMR led to lots of children paying a high price because they never had the jab.
I believe that genetics caused my autism but I really don’t care too much. Too much money is wasted looking for causes which would be better spent on improving life for autistics. After all, we are not ill. Personally, I’d like to see more money spent on public education programmes to change negative attitudes to us, much like attitudes to things like smoking and speeding etc were changed (in the U.K.). Then again more money could be spent on educating autistic kids...the list could be endless.

I plan on it. If I ever am put in the position to. Which won't be for some time.

I've migrated over to autismforums. PM me for anything, although I'm better contacted over at autismforums.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 1:03 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
What you have to ask yourself, who's the stronger to cause this bias? The anti mercury in vaccines people or the mega-rich pharmaceutical companies?

Actually getting rid of vaccines would increase profits in the medical industry because more people would have to seek treatment for the diseases that vaccines prevent. Plus, vaccines make up negligible profits compared to all money made by pharmaceutical companies.

If anything they would be secretly supporting the anti-vaccine people because if they successfully got vaccines banned then more people would pay money for the treatment of the diseases that vaccines prevent and it wouldn't technically be their fault when people start realizing why vaccines are important.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

B19
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 3:27 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
B19 wrote:
Publishing bias is real, in that studies finding no association are less often published or publicised. (Much less often). So there are other factors that affect even reviews like the one you posted, OP, because the negative evidence is not included. Neither of the links to the full text went anywhere for me, so could you post the full text please.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Publication_bias

https://ac.els-cdn.com/S0946672X1630093 ... 5ec5865a49

What you have to ask yourself, who's the stronger to cause this bias? The anti mercury in vaccines people or the mega-rich pharmaceutical companies?

A motivating factor (perhaps subconscious in some, conscious in others) for this belief in the vaccine believers may be the hope promoted by self interest of a future damages claim against the pharmas for settlements in the millions. Some may be sincerely misguided, others solely motivated by the hope of enrichment.

Five generations of AS in my family. Only the last two generations of those five were vaccinated with the prime suspects. Not all are on the spectrum, though most are. So we conclude that there was a lot of genetic transmission going on.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 4:23 pm

nephets wrote:
This garbage again. Not a single reputable scientist believes this nonsense. Dr. Wakefield was struck off for lying about it. Vaccines causing autism is up there with belief in Unicorns. I come from a long line of people with autistic traits and so will almost everyone on this forum. My autistic ancestors lived in times when there were no vaccines (and no they weren't involved in Mercury production). People are now diagnosed, because of medical understanding of the condition. That explains the 'increase'.

There's no Dr. Wakefield in this study.

...and:

http://adventuresinautism.blogspot.com/ ... -link.html

There's a 'cult-like' groups of aspies who are like "NO, there's no link, because I am born special like this, it was disapproved. End of Story!" (But this not how scientific research works) - honestly some of those are as narrow-minded as the radical anti-vaxxes people.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 5:21 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
There's a 'cult-like' groups of aspies who are like "NO, there's no link, because I am born special like this, it was disapproved. End of Story!" (But this not how scientific research works) - honestly some of those are as narrow-minded as the radical anti-vaxxes people.

Then there are idiots on both sides, but to use that to conclude weather vaccines cause autism would be an ad hominem fallacy. Research overwhelmingly shows that vaccines do not cause autism and as I have already explained there is more money to be made in banning vaccines then in keeping them.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

Looking
Raven
Raven

12 Oct 2017, 2:44 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
nephets wrote:
This garbage again. Not a single reputable scientist believes this nonsense. Dr. Wakefield was struck off for lying about it. Vaccines causing autism is up there with belief in Unicorns. I come from a long line of people with autistic traits and so will almost everyone on this forum. My autistic ancestors lived in times when there were no vaccines (and no they weren't involved in Mercury production). People are now diagnosed, because of medical understanding of the condition. That explains the 'increase'.

There's no Dr. Wakefield in this study.

...and:

http://adventuresinautism.blogspot.com/ ... -link.html

There really is no link, it really was disproved. That much is the result of scientific study. We are as we are and it’s almost certainly because of our genes. I am beginning to suspect that you are playing games with us, trying to “wind us up”.