Girls can earn the rank of Eagle Scout!

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 2:39 pm

The changed the rules so that girls can not only join the Boy Scouts, but they can earn the prestigious rank of Eagle Scout!

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 8:06 pm

I joined the Girl Scouts decades ago.

It's good, but why should they get a cookie? They still promote homophobia by rejecting gay troop leaders. They've finally come into the 1990s!

Alright. I've been irritated with BSA for a while. Having girls join may help change the culture. And, if those girls want to become Eagle Scouts, good for them.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 2:31 am

about GD'ed time AFAIC.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 3:01 am

Perhaps now I will buy their popcorn. I don't have a problem with male only spaces in certain instances, particularly where privacy, safety, and mental health are concerned, but I always thought that scouting should be co-ed...at least when I was younger, because the Girl Scouts didn't engage in activities I was interested in, while the Boy Scouts did, but I was prohibited from joining and I did not understand why I should be excluded just because I was a girl and it was something that I thought about from time to time over the years.

It was one of the first of many things I was excluded from because I was female.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 7:59 am

This won’t be good for the Girl Scouts....

Saying this, it’s only fair that girls get the opportunity to become Eagle Scouts.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 10:01 am

When will non-binary, agender, genderfluid people get to be eagle scouts or get their own scouting organization?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 11:01 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

Saying this, it’s only fair that girls get the opportunity to become Eagle Scouts.

I was in girl scouts for a time as a kid and it sucked, I thought it would be stuff like camping and going into nature and learning skills for that so like boy scouts for girls....nope girls get to sit inside and make stupid little crafts and gossip with each other. In retrospect though even though boyscouts has more hands on learning of actual useful things...it's still kind of an unpleasant culture it seems both my brothers spent some time in it and neither one of them really liked it. Also I have looked through the boyscout handbooks and also seems they kind of push religion, there is some like chant they have to stand and say that involves some kind of loyalty to god or something and yeah their history of how they treat homosexuals doesn't look very good either. But yeah just my opinion on that.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 5:03 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
When will non-binary, agender, genderfluid people get to be eagle scouts or get their own scouting organization?

We're still ironing-out the details........

But I can tell you that our uniforms are FABULOUS!

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 8:44 pm

why can't the boy and girl scouts just merge?

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 8:58 pm

"a day late, a dollar short".

right now i am 34 years old.

it was not til earlier this year, 2017, that joe maldonado became the first transgender boy in the Boy Scouts.

how about Boy Scouts include minors of all genders. boys, girls, gender nonconforming. as well as people of all ages. under 18. over 18.

quite frankly i am a bit curious, about what it's like to be in Boy Scouts.

when i was young, i never got a chance. it could've been that my precious lil "parents" did not wanna waste their time & $$ taking me to Boy Scout meetings. or it could've been religion. but quite frankly, i get the impression that an activity was just one more thing to worry about......

anyways whatever.........

oh well whatever.

maybe i ought to be glad nobody exterminated me. thus far.

34 years ain't young anyways. plenty of 34 year olds are doctors, lawyers, scientists, engineers. any job. military officer. plenty of 34 year olds have biological teenage children, mortgages, own homes.

you have to live in the present, not the past.

which i have yet to succeed at doing.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 12:31 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I was in girl scouts for a time as a kid and it sucked, I thought it would be stuff like camping and going into nature and learning skills for that so like boy scouts for girls....nope girls get to sit inside and make stupid little crafts and gossip with each other.

That's exactly why I didn't care to join the Girl Scouts.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 8:01 am

Is there an equivalent Boy Scouts for prospects over 18?

Not cisgender

34 year old

And ain't got no $$

No financial discrimination :cry:

No sex discrimination

No gender discrimination

No homophobia

No transphobia

No age discrimination

Because I feel so left out

Department of Rehabilitation had the nerve to diagnose me with 6 out of 10 personality disorders

Given a choice, maybe nobody will decide to be my precious lil "friend"

Ever again

:cry: :oops:

And if and when someone does, there is something seriously wrong. He is totally judgmental. He makes comments about the size of my breasts. He refers to himself as "people", "we", or "most people". :cry: she had the nerve to tell me that she would tell me everything i do that she doesn't :skull: like :skull: and she expected me to change, immediately, permanently, profound, and cheerfully. While she was not willing to change the slightest thing for me.

Having precious lil "friends" is like walking on eggshells.....

They act so morally innocent and superior

Like they have never done anything wrong before

And when I had one friend, and they had 100, it was like they had the monopoly

:D

Gender Non Conforming Over Eighteen Scouts. :lol:

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 9:50 am

auntblabby wrote:

Politics of merging two sets of officers leading two separate organizations are almost impossible.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 6:49 pm

If cisgender girls can join Boy Scouts, and cisgender boys can't join Girl Scouts, ain't that (drumroll please)........

"Discrimination"?

:mrgreen:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 1:09 am

BTDT wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Politics of merging two sets of officers leading two separate organizations are almost impossible.

if east Germany could merge with west Germany....