Different types of test used to diagnose adults for Autism

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Marine414
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Oct 2017, 10:26 am

So yesterday I had the test done for Autism, the first test was to test my attention and processing speed. It was on the computer i had to press a button every time i saw this black box on top of this little white box that test was 30 minutes. The next to test were the ones with the blocks and the shapes which i found to be some what difficult for me. The next test was a memory test where i had to repeat words and numbers back to the psychologist some were easy but alot of it was hard especially when i had to repeat them backwards. The last test was a 600 question personally test that took me 3 hours to do and the psychologist said most people complete it in a hour and a half. I get the results on 31st of this month. My question is why did she not do the story test. Can anyone that has gone though the testing for adult autism tell me what test did they have you take.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 10:34 am

What you described seems more like an ADHD test. Perhaps your diagnostician wanted to "rule out" ADHD to focus on possible autism instead.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Marine414

14 Oct 2017, 11:55 am

She said it was for Autism, and the personality test was to see how many autistic traits i have.
If i dont agree with the diagnosis i will be getting a second opinion.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 7:16 pm

Marine414 wrote:
My question is why did she not do the story test. Can anyone that has gone though the testing for adult autism tell me what test did they have you take.

Maybe the fact that you actually had testing for "adult autism" is the reason why you didn't get the story test. In my opinion the story test (and most of the ADOS, in fact) is not suitable for many adults.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 7:21 pm

IQ Test
ADOS-2
Adaptive functioning and execitive functioning assessments
Modified ADI-R

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 7:31 pm

starkid wrote:
In my opinion the story test (and most of the ADOS, in fact) is not suitable for many adults.

I've deliberately tried to not read about any test for fear of influencing them in some way but unfortunately it crops up here sometimes so difficult to avoid.
From the limited knowledge I've read here about the tests it appears to me that I would ace the test ( as in not show any ASD traits )

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 8:55 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
What you described seems more like an ADHD test. Perhaps your diagnostician wanted to "rule out" ADHD to focus on possible autism instead.

Yes that computer test sounds like an ADHD test.

Marine414

14 Oct 2017, 11:12 pm

To livingwithautism, where those the test that i took or that you took?

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 12:13 am

Those were the tests I took, when my diagnostic information was updated. I already had an autism diagnosis beforehand.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 1:06 am

Adult Aspergers Assesment
Behavior Rating of Executive Function
Social Responsivenss Scale, Second Edition

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Days
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Oct 2017, 3:22 pm

I was diagnosed at age 19 (a few months ago actually). They used the ADI-R, which is a semi-structured interview with my mother. They asked her various questions about how I was as a child through to my current age at the time. In order for the diagnosis of ASD I had to get so many points in each of the sections. As soon as they had finished with the interview my mother run to inform me they said I have aspergers, then a couple of weeks later I recieved the official report with my official diagnosis of ASD explaining my scoring.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 4:59 pm

That sounds completely different from my test; I don't think I had anything like what you had, except for a written test that might loosely be called a personality test, but mine was I think 380 questions.

My test that I did as an adult involved looking at a book about flying frogs and then telling the story, looking at cards and telling a story, making a story with objects, talking to the psychologist, and the psychologist interviewing my parents.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 5:49 pm

Would be interesting for members to develop a Wrong Planet test for diagnostic criteria.

candleghost

15 Oct 2017, 6:01 pm

Marine414 wrote:
So yesterday I had the test done for Autism, the first test was to test my attention and processing speed. It was on the computer i had to press a button every time i saw this black box on top of this little white box that test was 30 minutes. The next to test were the ones with the blocks and the shapes which i found to be some what difficult for me. The next test was a memory test where i had to repeat words and numbers back to the psychologist some were easy but alot of it was hard especially when i had to repeat them backwards. The last test was a 600 question personally test that took me 3 hours to do and the psychologist said most people complete it in a hour and a half. I get the results on 31st of this month. My question is why did she not do the story test. Can anyone that has gone though the testing for adult autism tell me what test did they have you take.

How did you find a person to do the test for adult autism? I see that you're in Milwaukee and I'm in Madison but nobody here seems to be able to do it. I've asked my psychiatrist and he said there is no test for adults (obviously untrue) and since there's no medicine for autism, he doesn't acknowledge it. My regular health doctor doesn't know of anyone in the clinic who tests for it and my therapist doesn't either.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 6:23 pm

candleghost wrote:
How did you find a person to do the test for adult autism? I see that you're in Milwaukee and I'm in Madison but nobody here seems to be able to do it. I've asked my psychiatrist and he said there is no test for adults (obviously untrue) and since there's no medicine for autism, he doesn't acknowledge it. My regular health doctor doesn't know of anyone in the clinic who tests for it and my therapist doesn't either.

Most psychologists won't do adult ASD tests. In my city, there are about 2.5 million people and I think only 3 psychologists who administer adult ASD tests.

If you're not in a big city, you probably have to be prepared to travel to get a test done.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 7:00 pm

They didn't give me any puzzles to solve at all. I just did the AQ questionnaire as a pre-screening, and the rest of it was all question-and-answer things, both written and verbal, with some input from my (then) wife, since my parents were dead by then and there wasn't anybody else handy who knew me particularly well - again, all question-and-answer. It's quite possible the clinical psychologist who conducted the proceedings was looking out for oddities in my communication style - there was something in the final diagnostic report describing my style of eye contact and smiling, suggesting there was something atypical about those, and a remark about my being a lot stronger at written communication than verbal, though it didn't say my verbal communication skills were below average. The diagnostic criteria used were the ICD-10 ones. I'd have liked a few puzzles, but that approach presupposes I would have done my best to solve them......I would have done, but the clinical psychologist couldn't have known that, so from their point of view maybe it would have been of limited value.