What do you non-country fans think of this Country song?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Oct 2017, 2:19 pm

its so good, how can you not like it?

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Oct 2017, 2:44 pm

There's nothing wrong with it at all. In fact, I like it. But it's just like "Bohemian Rhapsody" or "Down Under" to me. Great to have at certain occasions, but I still wouldn't put it on my Ipod.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 2:52 pm

Not my thing.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 9:02 pm

Musically better than pop country but still not my cup of tea.

Last edited by Marknis on 15 Oct 2017, 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 9:10 pm

I've always liked it. My mom loved it. Takes me back to younger days :-)

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

traven
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 2:14 am

Nostalgia, that played for a longtime on the radio, didn't it? I only understood the headline, that was already kind of a sweet/sour ambiguety, listening twice, it's quite harvey-weinsteinish to me
oh you-know, in the seventees a bearded bloke of twice your age could insinuate openly you were 'frigid' for not wanting to be touched in sexual contextuality, and that were the 'normal' sort of guys.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 7:49 pm

Not really to my tastes. I heard my mom sing this song when I was a kid, but this is my first time hearing the correct words. :lol:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 12:03 pm

Funny thing, growing up I was jazz and classical oriented (my mom liked country, so I heard it, but I didn't really pay much attention - it was a sound that meant "home", though). Then I hit college and rock and funk got me good. Then I discovered Irish music and its relatives - I mean, reels, jigs, O'Carollan, the Chieftans, and so on. And all of a sudden it was like my ears were opened up and I started to "get" country music. Bluegrass, but also the old songs and new.

This one gives me chills - those high, lonesome harmonies are the whole point - hope you like it, rvacountrysinger, the banjo is yum.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 3:33 pm

Esmerelda Weatherwax wrote:
Funny thing, growing up I was jazz and classical oriented (my mom liked country, so I heard it, but I didn't really pay much attention - it was a sound that meant "home", though). Then I hit college and rock and funk got me good. Then I discovered Irish music and its relatives - I mean, reels, jigs, O'Carollan, the Chieftans, and so on. And all of a sudden it was like my ears were opened up and I started to "get" country music. Bluegrass, but also the old songs and new.

This one gives me chills - those high, lonesome harmonies are the whole point - hope you like it, rvacountrysinger, the banjo is yum.

Makes me think of Oh Brother, Where art Thou?

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 8:34 pm

^ just ixquicked that movie. Looks like it had a fantastic soundtrack.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 10:45 pm

Esmerelda Weatherwax wrote:
^ just ixquicked that movie. Looks like it had a fantastic soundtrack.

It's an absolutely hilarious movie, despite being one of the less well known Cohen Brothers films.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 11:07 am

Hah! I see your Oh Brother and I raise you Arizona:

had to doublecheck that this film was from the same guys, I saw it when it first came out, and I am old, I am old. But wow, Carter Burwell, just wow. (Edit in: Thank you hugely for reminding me of this. It's just as gorgeous now as I remember it being then. Who the hell can include a C&W version of the Ode to Joy as a break and make it work?)

RVA, did I hijack your thread? I'm sorry :oops: but I hope you like this one too. Um, thank you for starting it :oops:

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Oct 2017, 2:06 pm

I'm a Country fan, but that dosen't mean I love all Country songs or Country music genres... There are so many different styles in Country- people are surprised to learn its not "all the same". But.. I know an interesting story:

Someone offered a co-worker a Pop- Country music sampler CD full of "hits" and they said you'll love this. I mean you like Country music , right? And they replied" Yes, but that doesn't mean I like this KIND of Country music". The person looked puzzled, as if there was more than one "kind" of Country Music? Who knew?

That is basically what it goes like. And the assumption that we're all hillbilies or something. Non Country fans don't usually understand the nuances in Country, either . But Country fans "get it".

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 10:15 pm

rvacountrysinger wrote:
I'm a Country fan, but that dosen't mean I love all Country songs or Country music genres... There are so many different styles in Country- people are surprised to learn its not "all the same". But.. I know an interesting story:

Someone offered a co-worker a Pop- Country music sampler CD full of "hits" and they said you'll love this. I mean you like Country music , right? And they replied" Yes, but that doesn't mean I like this KIND of Country music". The person looked puzzled, as if there was more than one "kind" of Country Music? Who knew?

That is basically what it goes like. And the assumption that we're all hillbilies or something. Non Country fans don't usually understand the nuances in Country, either . But Country fans "get it".

That's common of most genres though. People who aren't fans of genres aren't usually familiar enough to understand how different styles and regional scenes create loads of subgenres and how some of them will have appeal and others won't. You share this observation with jazz fans about jazz, metal fans about metal, punk fans about punk, hip-hop fans about hip-hop, electronic music fans about electronic music, fans of the blues regarding blues, etc.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 12:35 am

funeralxempire wrote:
rvacountrysinger wrote:

That's common of most genres though. People who aren't fans of genres aren't usually familiar enough to understand how different styles and regional scenes create loads of subgenres and how some of them will have appeal and others won't. You share this observation with jazz fans about jazz, metal fans about metal, punk fans about punk, hip-hop fans about hip-hop, electronic music fans about electronic music, fans of the blues regarding blues, etc.

For the most part I am a trve metalhead.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 10:10 am

rvacountrysinger wrote:

Excellent point - and I love the subgenre illustrations from others below. Thank you!