Father of Autistic Child Deported From U.S.

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 1:31 am

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/father-autistic-child-deported-u-s-n812216

Quote:
The father of a child with severe autism has been deported to his native Bangladesh following a plea for more time to stay in the United States to arrange for his daughter’s care.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) confirmed to NBC News Wednesday that Mohammed Ambia was removed from the U.S. on Oct. 11.

The 57-year-old, of Queens, New York, had requested his deportation be delayed after being taken into custody in September. That detainment came during a regular visit with immigration officials in Lower Manhattan, according to his attorney, Lorenz Wolffers.

Ambia, the main caregiver of 15-year-old Faeeza, hoped for more time to make arrangements for her. But the local ICE office in New York denied a request for a stay of removal, Wolffers told NBC News.

Ambia’s two other children, both in college, are now left to care for Faeeza, who has severe autism.

“Obviously, this is a very, very difficult situation for the family,” Wolffers said.

Ambia had overstayed a visitor’s visa he used to enter the U.S., where he lived since the early-to-mid ’90s. A judge also sentenced Ambia in 2006 to 12 months probation after being convicted of trying to obtain a fake ID to visit his cancer-stricken father in Bangladesh, according to Wolffers

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 7:24 pm

While I still think he shouldn't have been deported, I still think his child's autism is irrelevant to the case.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 5:24 pm

This is just heartless.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 6:25 pm

A difficult case...law, ethics and morality collide

Ragnahawk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Oct 2017, 6:41 pm

Import him back to U.S. :x

I've migrated over to autismforums. PM me for anything, although I'm better contacted over at autismforums.

Omniel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Oct 2017, 10:34 pm

Not heartless at all. He's had 15 years to arrange for care for his kid, but he didn't. Time for consequences.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2017, 12:18 am

Omniel wrote:
Not heartless at all. He's had 15 years to arrange for care for his kid, but he didn't. Time for consequences.

Probably because he never thought he'd be deported. Still heartless.

Ragnahawk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Oct 2017, 2:19 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Omniel wrote:

Just how many years do people have to live. (100 maybe) This world is a pile of *************************

I've migrated over to autismforums. PM me for anything, although I'm better contacted over at autismforums.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2017, 2:41 pm

Ragnahawk wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Omniel wrote:

Just how many years do people have to live. (100 maybe) This world is a pile of *************************

You can say that again!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2017, 3:43 pm

How cold do people have to be to destroy the lives of other people? :(

Ragnahawk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Oct 2017, 10:53 am

"Too many zeroes, not enough heroes." My mantra.