HELP! Advice needed about termination of contract. Can they?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

LostGirI
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Oct 2017, 7:14 am

Hello,

I am off work sick at the moment and have been for the past six months. Last year I also had a lengthy period of sickness. I have ASD, general anxiety disorder and recurrent depressive disorder. I regularly keep in touch with management and occupational health and had my latest review this week. I have just been told that I need to have a case review meeting with workforce next week and two other managers from my department. My friend has been telling me for weeks that it sounds like occupational health are gearing up for saying I'm not fit to work and now that a meeting with HR/workforce has been requested only 2 days after my last review meeting that they are gearing up to terminate my employment. In my meeting with them last week they did report back that at the moment I'm not well enough to undertake any kind of work so redeployment is not an option for now. But that when I'm closer to returning to work they will consider it. Does it sound like they are trying to get rid of me? I am only newly diagnosed with these conditions.

So my question is - can they do this? Can they just get rid of me? Does anyone know? I have already told them that it is not right only giving me 6 days notice and that I only came in for a meeting this week. I also said the union rep is on annual leave so it does not give me time to prepare etc and that it doesn't seem fair 3 people against one, and it isn't going to help me get back to work any quicker. Does anyone know what my rights are? I hope my friend is wrong but I fear she isn't. HELP!

Marine414
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Oct 2017, 11:58 am

Are you doing that though FMLA.

LostGirI
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Oct 2017, 12:00 pm

Marine414 wrote:
Are you doing that though FMLA.

I don't understand what you mean. What is FMLA?

Marine414

20 Oct 2017, 1:16 pm

Sorry I just saw that you are in the U.K. in the USA we have the Federal Medical Leave Act look it up and see if the U.K. has a similar program.

mauloch_baal

20 Oct 2017, 2:48 pm

LostGirI wrote:
Hello,

I am off work sick at the moment and have been for the past six months. Last year I also had a lengthy period of sickness. I have ASD, general anxiety disorder and recurrent depressive disorder. I regularly keep in touch with management and occupational health and had my latest review this week. I have just been told that I need to have a case review meeting with workforce next week and two other managers from my department. My friend has been telling me for weeks that it sounds like occupational health are gearing up for saying I'm not fit to work and now that a meeting with HR/workforce has been requested only 2 days after my last review meeting that they are gearing up to terminate my employment. In my meeting with them last week they did report back that at the moment I'm not well enough to undertake any kind of work so redeployment is not an option for now. But that when I'm closer to returning to work they will consider it. Does it sound like they are trying to get rid of me? I am only newly diagnosed with these conditions.

So my question is - can they do this? Can they just get rid of me? Does anyone know? I have already told them that it is not right only giving me 6 days notice and that I only came in for a meeting this week. I also said the union rep is on annual leave so it does not give me time to prepare etc and that it doesn't seem fair 3 people against one, and it isn't going to help me get back to work any quicker. Does anyone know what my rights are? I hope my friend is wrong but I fear she isn't. HELP!

This does not answer your question and I hope it does not offend but try to look at it from their perspective, they need someone who can work if you are on medical leave that long then really you are not fulfilling the job role. I hope it turns out well for you, I hope you get better and I hope you keep your job but if they do let you go just try to understand from their side and remain positive. Best of luck. :heart:

LostGirI
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Oct 2017, 3:06 pm

Thanks mauloch x

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 3:26 pm

I don’t know about the UK or about anyone else in the British Commonwealth of Nations, but here in ‘Murrica, labor is treated by a side of beef. Ever since that fake cowboy (Reagan) was president, management has considered labor to be an expense that is to be eliminated AT ALL COSTS! Most states employment law says employment is at will, meaning management doesn’t have to give you a reason for termination, and you don’t have to give management a reason for quitting. However, once terminated, there is little or no support while looking for other employment. Even applying for SSDI or SSI is next to impossible, unless you fall into a category of compassionate disorder (for example, brain cancer). That type of award has a very strict and limited scope.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 3:26 pm

I don’t know about the UK or about anyone else in the British Commonwealth of Nations, but here in ‘Murrica, labor is treated by a side of beef. Ever since that fake cowboy (Reagan) was president, management has considered labor to be an expense that is to be eliminated AT ALL COSTS! Most states employment law says employment is at will, meaning management doesn’t have to give you a reason for termination, and you don’t have to give management a reason for quitting. However, once terminated, there is little or no support while looking for other employment. Even applying for SSDI or SSI is next to impossible, unless you fall into a category of compassionate disorder (for example, brain cancer). That type of award has a very strict and limited scope.