What do you think about illegal immigration and workers

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

GoSensGo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Nov 2017, 12:00 pm

I have genuine sympathy for a lot of illegal immigrants, who are great people just looking for an opportunity to provide for themselves and their families.

But countries have borders for a reason, and to me there's no way to justify trying to circumvent the legal immigrants channels put in place by that country. It's disrespectful to said country and to the many people who choose to immigrate legally.

That's one of the biggest lies Trump's detractors have perpetrated against him from the start: that he's anti-immigration. Immigration and illegal immigration are two different things and are not interchangeable.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 5:26 pm

I understand that Trump only wants to stop illegal immigration, not legal immigration. But if has immigration laws had gone through some immigrants would have been illegal that would otherwise have been legal.

I agree that people should immigrate legally through the proper channels but if has immigration laws had gone through, those channels would no longer be available for some people.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 4:22 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
I understand that Trump only wants to stop illegal immigration, not legal immigration. But if has immigration laws had gone through some immigrants would have been illegal that would otherwise have been legal.

I agree that people should immigrate legally through the proper channels but if has immigration laws had gone through, those channels would no longer be available for some people.

From what I read from your profile are you from Australia?

I always wonder why people always want to immigrate to countries that no longer want to receive immigrants. For example, I am a Pole, many Poles dream of immigration to the United States, despite the fact that this country does not have more immigrants anymore. (I think they are Wernher Von Braun, Niels Bohr, Edward Teller, or Elon Musk :mrgreen: ) And i think that is similar situation in you country, Australia :D

As for me i would want one day i love my country and hate moving away from my home, but i would once visit good old U S and A and for tourism purpose to visit Grand Canyon, or Roswell :lol: and place where American tested their first A-Bomb, but place that it would be must have form me is KSC Kennedy Space Center in Florida and Johnson Space Center in Houston, and George C. Marshall Space Flight Center (MSFC) in Alabama, and that all for USA :mrgreen:

As for you country i would love to visit Australia to dive on Great Barrier Reef even trough i'm never did scuba diving and go to Australia mainland to watch you famous, your famous Australian endemic flora and fauna, which is nowhere else in the world, then I could already come back to Poland feeling fulfilled.

Both USA and Australia was once "Wild" countries that accepted any migrant/refuges in any quantity and quality,
Quote:
Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me:
I lift my lamp beside the golden door
:D
but that times are end, because both countries labour market is already saturated enough :(

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 5:39 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:
Both USA and Australia was once "Wild" countries that accepted any migrant/refuges in any quantity and quality,

I don't know about the USA but Australia was never like that. Yes we gave people free land in the 19th century. We didn't give just anyone free land though. Unfortunately the main restriction was ethnicity.

In the 19th century there was a lot of anti-chinese sentiment because they had a tendency to send their earnings back home rather than spend their earnings within the local economy.

This eventually lead to the white Australia policy, which didn't end until 1973. Well into the 20th century there were virtually no restrictions on British people coming in. In order to solve our labour shortage, they could just hop onto the £10 steamer with their family and they'd be given a factory job and be allocated a cheaply made rental house in a particularly hot and dry part of the country. Air conditioning wasn't common in those days so some of the Brits had difficulty acclimatising.