Autistic model lobbies for support for hate crime victims

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 6:19 pm

Mum attacked as a teen says more needs to be done about disability hate crime after she was kicked and punched in the face The bullies also tried to drown her in a river nearby, says Sophie

Quote:
A model who was attacked by nine bullies when she was 15 says more needs to be done about disability hate crime.

Sophie Bole, who is now 21 and a mum, has told the BBC more needs to be done to support people.

The mum from Louth believes she was targeted because she had Aspergers.

She was attacked in Louth in February 2011 on her way to her boyfriend's house and the attack left her in and out of hospital for weeks after.

The 21-year-old, who lived in Market Rasen at the time, was left with a completely shattered nose, a large scar on her top lip and internal bruising and bleeding.

Sophie, who was known at the time as Sophie Russell, was out of school for almost a year and had to have facial reconstruction.

She told the BBC: "With having Aspergers, you tend to be quite intelligent. They did things i wasn't happy with and wouldn't participate in.

"It starts off with school. They need to realise if someone has a hidden disability, they need extra support - because I didn't.

"Schools really need to pick up on social interactions and see the signs that they're going to be in trouble.

"People need to know what it's all about and help those people. I stopped three cars [the night she was attacked] and they didn't help."

Sophie explained that she was bullied from the age of five for being "too intelligent" and getting her "work done quietly".

She says she was constantly bullied and struggled to make friends.

She told the BBC that she suffered "headbutts, kicks, punches to the face, uppercuts" and could feel her nose "smashing" as she was headbutted.

She also said they tried to drown her in a river nearby.

Her nine attackers were given a police caution for common assault, but no further charges were pressed.

The 21-year-old says she feels let down and angry that it is "going to happen to so many other people".

But the mum has now turned her life around and become a model.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 6:33 pm

There are numerous cases of people with disabilities getting bullied but the school and authorities don't seem to have the will to get involved or take action

I understand police are overstretched and consider bullying to be handled at the civil level rather than having to intervene everytime a person is bullied but getting punched or kicked is physical assault and so I am a little surprised these girl's attackers were let off with a warning?.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 6:43 am

Disability hate crimes have been going on for far too long. There are some people who wish that people with disabilities would just die, so they do everything that they think will speed up the process, whether it's physical, mental or emotional.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 8:12 am

Assault and attempted murder merit more than a warning regardless of the race, religion, or disability of the victim.

What a world.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 12:06 pm

Far too often the power of the criminal's parents play a role as well as the attitudes of they are good boys who just made a mistake or the victim must have done something to provoke them.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman