How do you feel about the city or town you live in?

Page 1 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 2:09 pm

drwho222 wrote:
BirdInFlight wrote:
I hate my city. Everything about it is actually like a tailor-made "autist's nightmare."

The population is 10 million -- need I say more? Lol.

R u in NYC or London?
I'm in London. :(

The only people who really think wonderful things about London are --- people who don't actually live here, lol.

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 2:31 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
drwho222 wrote:
BirdInFlight wrote:
I hate my city. Everything about it is actually like a tailor-made "autist's nightmare."

R u in NYC or London?

The only people who really think wonderful things about London are --- people who don't actually live here, lol.

England is a crazy country. London would be so much better if we didn't have it as the polticial capital, the financial? Capital and the entertainment capital all rollee in one. Imagine NYC, Washington D.C. and Los Angeles all together - that would be just as nuts.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 2:35 pm

Fifasy -- I never thought about it that way, but what you say is true: it has all the main "stuff" in one city and that's one of the reasons why it's such "overload."

Plus, just too many people. People people people and all the resources are not enough. Not even places to live, not enough space for anyone to be, it's chaos all the time.

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 2:36 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
drwho222 wrote:
BirdInFlight wrote:

R u in NYC or London?

Come on. I live in what was a rough and tumble frontier town 150 years ago that got big and rich simply because of its geographical location. A location that now traps and dooms our city. London has a real history, you have the British museum (I love natural history museums and would give anything to spend a week exploring it), the Doctor warps in all the time (LOL) I don't think he has EVER been to Chicago.

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 2:37 pm

fifasy wrote:
BirdInFlight wrote:
drwho222 wrote:
BirdInFlight wrote:

R u in NYC or London?

England is a crazy country. London would be so much better if we didn't have it as the polticial capital, the financial? Capital and the entertainment capital all rollee in one. Imagine NYC, Washington D.C. and Los Angeles all together - that would be just as nuts.

Well I don't think you have much else in the way of big cities do you? Your whole nation is the size of a small US state.

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 2:40 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
Fifasy -- I never thought about it that way, but what you say is true: it has all the main "stuff" in one city and that's one of the reasons why it's such "overload."

Plus, just too many people. People people people and all the resources are not enough. Not even places to live, not enough space for anyone to be, it's chaos all the time.

Sounds like NYC to me.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 2:42 pm

There's a big difference between the cultural attractions and benefits of a city, and the daily experience of having to live in it.

The museums are great, but do they help me in the housing crisis? In my sensory overload every day when I leave my home?

All that stuff is there, but my daily life isn't about the British Museum or anything else. My daily life is about how my rent is becoming unaffordable. My food is expensive. I live with constant noise.

See, this is the difference between VISITING a place and enjoying all the "good stuff" but then being able to go home to a quieter existence, and living somewhere more comfortable for daily life. Vacationing is different from daily reality.

All those things about London do not mean a hill of beans when you actually live here. And I say that as a person who is actually into history, and yes I've been to all the places. But my DAILY life is another matter.

Only outsiders chastize Londoners for being unhappy with London, but it's because they are only thinking of that good stuff and not experiencing the ordinary bad stuff, which is the greater part of my daily life.

When you live in London you're living, not being a tourist. It's hard, noisy, expensive, loud and rough here.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 2:46 pm

There’s a reason the group Live! Considers their hometown, York, PA, to be, as they called in their song, “Sh!t town.” Any wonder the live 35 miles due east, in Lancaster, PA? (Even though they bought a decrepit warehouse close to the old hellhole known as the former York County Prison, rehabbed it into offices, a recording studio, and named the place “Think Loud.”)

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 2:46 pm

Hard, noisy, expensive, loud and rough. Living in Chicago I can relate 100%. One thing that I dislike very much--at night it really does not get dark at all. The light pollution is so bad that you have a constant dim light even at night. Is it the same in London?

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 2:55 pm

Yep, light pollution! You can never really see meteor showers when you hear about one being visible.

I'm always shocked when I see one of those distant satellite pictures of the British Isles at night, how much the London region is this really giant splash of artificial light, the city is so lit up at night and it covers such a large area, while other city's bright spots are small and contained.

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 3:03 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
Yep, light pollution! You can never really see meteor showers when you hear about one being visible.

I'm always shocked when I see one of those distant satellite pictures of the British Isles at night, how much the London region is this really giant splash of artificial light, the city is so lit up at night and it covers such a large area, while other city's bright spots are small and contained.

I hear you. Bring up that map and look at the West coast of Lake Michigan. That giant bright patch that goes along the shore is Chicago and its associated area.

AlanMooresBeard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Oct 2017, 3:15 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
There's a big difference between the cultural attractions and benefits of a city, and the daily experience of having to live in it.

The museums are great, but do they help me in the housing crisis? In my sensory overload every day when I leave my home?

All that stuff is there, but my daily life isn't about the British Museum or anything else. My daily life is about how my rent is becoming unaffordable. My food is expensive. I live with constant noise.

See, this is the difference between VISITING a place and enjoying all the "good stuff" but then being able to go home to a quieter existence, and living somewhere more comfortable for daily life. Vacationing is different from daily reality.

All those things about London do not mean a hill of beans when you actually live here. And I say that as a person who is actually into history, and yes I've been to all the places. But my DAILY life is another matter.

Only outsiders chastize Londoners for being unhappy with London, but it's because they are only thinking of that good stuff and not experiencing the ordinary bad stuff, which is the greater part of my daily life.

When you live in London you're living, not being a tourist. It's hard, noisy, expensive, loud and rough here.

Have you always lived in London? I've lived in the capital my entire life and while I agree with you that there are too many people living here, I don't find myself hating the city because it's overcrowded. I don't know what part of the city that you live in but I'm in SW London which is generally a fairly affluent and pleasant part of the capital. I'm also lucky enough to only be a mile or so from places like Westminster and Chelsea so it's very easy for me to get into the centre of town. Yes, it can be noisy and I live right in the middle of an area that's seeing massive redevelopment so there are construction workers outside almost every day working on various projects. Fortunately, I happen to have pretty good soundproofing in my home so this isn't too much of a problem. I do wish more could be done to improve air quality and increase the amount of homes available to buy or rent but overall I would say that there are more positives than negatives to living in London.

AlanMooresBeard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Oct 2017, 3:21 pm

drwho222 wrote:
Well I don't think you have much else in the way of big cities do you? Your whole nation is the size of a small US state.

The only other city in the UK with a population of more than 1 million is Birmingham. The next biggest city would be Leeds which has a population comparable to that of Seattle.

byakuugan
Raven
Raven

25 Oct 2017, 3:36 pm

There are a lot of drug dealers and prostitutes here, and a large portion of the police officers are also pimps and drug dealers. My only hope for this town is extra surveillance.

thewheel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Oct 2017, 3:37 pm

AlanMooresBeard wrote:
drwho222 wrote:

The only other city in the UK with a population of more than 1 million is Birmingham. The next biggest city would be Leeds which has a population comparable to that of Seattle.

That's only a city limits definition, and city limits are arbitrary and archaic, going by city limits strictly speaking the City of London has a population of a few thousand...

Both the West Midlands and Greater Manchester conurbations have a bit over 2.5 Million inhabitants.

Last edited by thewheel on 25 Oct 2017, 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlanMooresBeard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Oct 2017, 3:44 pm

thewheel wrote:
AlanMooresBeard wrote:
drwho222 wrote:

That's only a city limits definition, going by city limits strictly speaking London has a population of a few thousand...

Both the West Midlands and Greater Manchester conurbations have a bit over 2.5 Million inhabitants.

That is true but I prefer city limit definitions anyway. I define London as being all 32 London boroughs plus the City of London which gives you a population of 8 million or so.