How do you feel about the city or town you live in?

Page 4 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2017, 2:05 am

BirdInFlight wrote:
Fifasy -- I never thought about it that way, but what you say is true: it has all the main "stuff" in one city and that's one of the reasons why it's such "overload."

Plus, just too many people. People people people and all the resources are not enough. Not even places to live, not enough space for anyone to be, it's chaos all the time.

Are people in London more friendly though, once you actually get a chance to talk to them in their busy day (such as in a class or social club)?

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2017, 4:36 am

I've been here 11 years - a personal record, but only because I'm not renting now. I was apprehensive about the gold-fish bowl aspect of small towns (pop. 1k) but interested in having an affordable, secure electronic cottage just a short walk from a dozen stores. I slowly got over the jitters and met more people, feeling more and more at home for about eight years, but then realized I'd never really fit in, and might easily be abused.
My favourite nature trail has been ruined, and money wasted on a hopeless replacement. Last year, I endured a hellish construction project next door, and it has diverted a seasonal stream across my property. Months of work to fix that on my own seem easier than trying to get justice. Stores have been closing, too, and the in-town prices getting worse. If you didn't go to high school here, you don't rate as human.

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2017, 8:42 am

Dear_one wrote:
I've been here 11 years - a personal record, but only because I'm not renting now. I was apprehensive about the gold-fish bowl aspect of small towns (pop. 1k) but interested in having an affordable, secure electronic cottage just a short walk from a dozen stores. I slowly got over the jitters and met more people, feeling more and more at home for about eight years, but then realized I'd never really fit in, and might easily be abused.
My favourite nature trail has been ruined, and money wasted on a hopeless replacement. Last year, I endured a hellish construction project next door, and it has diverted a seasonal stream across my property. Months of work to fix that on my own seem easier than trying to get justice. Stores have been closing, too, and the in-town prices getting worse. If you didn't go to high school here, you don't rate as human.

From my point of view you've done well to stick it out 11 years. The longest I've ever lived in one place is 14 years and after about 9 years the experience of being there went rapidly downhill.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2017, 9:27 am

fifasy wrote:
From my point of view you've done well to stick it out 11 years. The longest I've ever lived in one place is 14 years and after about 9 years the experience of being there went rapidly downhill.

Well, moving house takes years out of my life, and it's a gamble anyway. I maintain a workshop, which complicates things immensely. Usually, if I feel like moving, I don't know where, and when I choose a place it is due to ignorance of the local history, etc. The longer I stay, the more stores I boycott until there's almost no where to go.
I also live on the 'net, and my social life there was ruined by Facebook and Twitter. Now, I'm torn between moving off-grid to avoid people, or back to a city for some face time with a compatible group, if any.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2017, 2:46 pm

Red Lion, PA hasn’t changed much, except for the shootings that took place at the Junior High School almost 15 years ago. The residents of this burg are still the same smug self-absorbed jackasses they were living here when I was growing up in nearby Windsor. If you didn’t live within the Confines of Red Lion Borough, you weren’t worth sh!t, and were worse than sewer scum. Although my mailing address is Red Lion, the actually political boundary says I live in York Township, which is slightly better than Red Lion, although not by much.