Having multiple personalities for different occasions

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Roo95
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Oct 2017, 7:44 pm

Hello. Does anyone else find that they have to live their life like this?
Basically I find that most of the time, I cant be myself around others in order to fit in so I have learned to act relatively normal and have different personalities I use for different social situations. These personalities are mainly behavior I have learned and scripted from other people from previous experience in social situations. For example at work and when visiting family, I have to act as NT as I can and I can be good at it, though I do slip up often and people can tell I have AS though many still don't know I have it. I am quite, polite, well mannered and I don't talk as monotone. I to act like this when visiting my dad as he was never supportive of my AS and would would punish me for any autistic behavior. While my 3 close friends I live with are the only people I can be myself around without being judged. I'm a typical stereotypical aspie around my close friends because I can be who I am without them judging me or calling me a ret*d. I'm pretty sure they think I should be in a mental asylum.
When my friends see how I act in front of other people they are always amazed and confused as to why I act so different in front of other people to when I'm with them and no one knows what personality is the real me. Its pretty frustrating after living with my parents for 21 years, having to put on these fake acts to advoid being mocked and punished by them for being weird and to think that they don't really know me at all. Anyone else relate to this?

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 7:57 pm

Yes, it’s like being a social chameleon or a changeling. In order to “pass” as nt, I mastered the art of mimicry. I could mirror like nobody’s business. Until I burned out & learned I was asd. Now I am mostly asocial.

Foreveranaspie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Oct 2017, 8:45 pm

Yep. I often get yelled at for it

B19
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 9:43 pm

I think that people generally have subdivisions in their personality, that the overall personality is made up of several sub personalities. It's different parts of a unitary whole, rather than "multiple personalities". For example, I show a different side of my personality when I am with close, trusted, long standing associates, and another when I am around strangers, and so on. That's within the normal everyday range of human behaviour, and personality is not one single entity that is utterly consistent at all times and in all situations.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 10:06 pm

Roo95 wrote:
Hello. Does anyone else find that they have to live their life like this?
Basically I find that most of the time, I cant be myself around others in order to fit in so I have learned to act relatively normal and have different personalities I use for different social situations. These personalities are mainly behavior I have learned and scripted from other people from previous experience in social situations. For example at work and when visiting family, I have to act as NT as I can and I can be good at it, though I do slip up often and people can tell I have AS though many still don't know I have it. I am quite, polite, well mannered and I don't talk as monotone. I to act like this when visiting my dad as he was never supportive of my AS and would would punish me for any autistic behavior. While my 3 close friends I live with are the only people I can be myself around without being judged. I'm a typical stereotypical aspie around my close friends because I can be who I am without them judging me or calling me a ret*d. I'm pretty sure they think I should be in a mental asylum.
When my friends see how I act in front of other people they are always amazed and confused as to why I act so different in front of other people to when I'm with them and no one knows what personality is the real me. Its pretty frustrating after living with my parents for 21 years, having to put on these fake acts to advoid being mocked and punished by them for being weird and to think that they don't really know me at all. Anyone else relate to this?
I have seperate personalities. I have one that is on the internet then on that is me irl. Someitmes they seem complete split apart. I don't really fake much irl.