Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Oct 2017, 11:44 am

One of my coworkers is recommending I go on a keto diet. Does anybody know anything about those? Worthwhile? Waste of time? If so then what kinds of foods should I eat while on it?

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2017, 12:47 pm

Unless you're diabetic, or just enjoy eating that way, it's a complete waste of time.

The ketogenic diet is a high fat, moderate protein, low carbohydrate diet. Once the body stops recieving glucose, and has burned of remaining glucose stored in muscle cells, it will enter a state called 'ketosis', where the body will utilize fatty acids as it's primary fuel source, instead of glucose.

The ketogenic diet has no fat loss benefits if that's your question.

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2017, 1:06 pm

You'll want to work carbs back in eventually and therein lies the problem. Keto and similar super low carb diets can give you an irrational fear of carbs. Plus your body will likely retain water like crazy when you do eat something carby (1g water per 1g carb, though this might be bro science). Temporary, sure, but it can still do a lot of (psychological) damage.

Better to enjoy in moderation than to erase from your diet completely/pretty much.
I've never set out to do Keto but I ended up manipulating my diet to a point of eating circa 20g carbs a day (plus 17g fat, and around 50g protein). I'm now at around 50g/day (should probably be more, I'll get there), and I feel better physically and psychologically, as I have a bit more freedom in what I'm 'allowed' to eat.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2017, 1:14 pm

racheypie666 wrote:
You'll want to work carbs back in eventually and therein lies the problem. Keto and similar super low carb diets can give you an irrational fear of carbs. Plus your body will likely retain water like crazy when you do eat something carby (1g water per 1g carb, though this might be bro science). Temporary, sure, but it can still do a lot of (psychological) damage.

Better to enjoy in moderation than to erase from your diet completely/pretty much.
I've never set out to do Keto but I ended up manipulating my diet to a point of eating circa 20g carbs a day (plus 17g fat, and around 50g protein). I'm now at around 50g/day (should probably be more, I'll get there), and I feel better physically and psychologically, as I have a bit more freedom in what I'm 'allowed' to eat.

That's under 500 calories a day!

That's incredibly low and very unhealthy, even if you're obese and in a fat loss phase. No woman should ever go below 1200 calories a day.

I do agree with the your first point though, people trick themselves into thinking that carbs make them fat because of the water retention. It is physically impossible for the body to store fat if it doesn't have suffecient calories to do so.

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2017, 1:25 pm

Closet Genious wrote:
racheypie666 wrote:

That's incredibly low and very unhealthy, even if you're obese and in a fat loss phase. No woman should ever go below 1200 calories a day.

I do agree with the your first point though, people trick themselves into thinking that carbs make them fat because of the water retention. It is physically impossible for the body to store fat if it doesn't have suffecient calories to do so.

I know, I'm working on it.
Do as I say, not as I do lol. OP would be better off with a nice, balanced diet. Start lifting if you don't already, and maybe up your protein. Works wonders.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2017, 1:47 pm

racheypie666 wrote:
Closet Genious wrote:
racheypie666 wrote:

I know, I'm working on it.
Do as I say, not as I do lol. OP would be better off with a nice, balanced diet. Start lifting if you don't already, and maybe up your protein. Works wonders.

Good! I don't know whether you need to lose weight or what your specific context is, but please start by atleast upping your intake to 1200 asap. Your body will thank you for it, and unless you're in the 1% with thyroid issues, it's impossible for you to gain weight. Ideally you should end up eating 1700-2000 calories a day to maintain your weight.

I definitely agree with balanced diet and lifting. I always advocate to focus on a foundation of protein, fiber and vitamins, and then you'll have some room to eat the foods you enjoy.

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2017, 2:36 pm

^ My context is anorexia; autism doesn't help. I'm not doing too bad though. Would definitely advocate looking for sustainable diet changes as opposed to drastic, unsustainable ones. Not that keto is necessarily unsustainable, but you don't want to back yourself into a corner diet-wise, or give yourself a bad relationship with certain food groups. These sorts of things can be hard to undo, especially if you're the sort of person who likes setting rules and sticking to them.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2017, 3:04 pm

racheypie666 wrote:
^ My context is anorexia; autism doesn't help. I'm not doing too bad though. Would definitely advocate looking for sustainable diet changes as opposed to drastic, unsustainable ones. Not that keto is necessarily unsustainable, but you don't want to back yourself into a corner diet-wise, or give yourself a bad relationship with certain food groups. These sorts of things can be hard to undo, especially if you're the sort of person who likes setting rules and sticking to them.

I see. Luckily you're prioritizing protein, which is important when you're intake is so low.

I don't really know much about anorexia, so I don't know how to help. I can tell you that I like staying very lean too, but I know for certain that you can do it in a way that is much healthier for you both mentally and physically. Maybe the best approach would be to add in calories little by little, and see how your body resonds? Once you see that you won't gain fat by eating more, maybe you will get more comfortable with it.

Oddly enough(or maybe not odd), for an anorexic person, you seem to have a good grasp of the psycological aspects of dieting. For an unrational person, you're quite rational :). I don't think keto is necessarily bad, but let's be honest, over the course of a life time it will get pretty hard to sustain. And the thing I don't like about it is that you set up a bunch of rules for yourself that are largely irrelevent, which leads to feeling bad everytime you break them. I was actually a bit stuck in keto myself for a while, until I found proper counter evidence, and talked to fitness models who were leaner than me, who ate a truckload of carbs everyday lol.

That's about 1 year ago, and I've made more progress in the gym with carbs, and I actually find it easier to lean down also.

herpawearo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Jun 2020, 3:29 am

Guys, I want to share a weight loss program that you can find on this site [url]. My brother always had an overweight problem and he found this program that helped him lose 16 kg on 4 Monday, the results are visible and he is very satisfied. He never managed to lose weight with other methods of loss but with this program, he did. Impressive is the fact that he did not actually change his menu but was helped to calculate the kilocalories per day and understood how much he needs to consume to lose weight.

Last edited by B19 on 16 Jun 2020, 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.: spam

UnaDavidson
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Sep 2021, 10:09 am

Eating clean" implies no grains, no refined carbs, and no sugary drinks.

Deep Heat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Sep 2021, 11:48 pm

The thread I posted about the 'The Danger of veganism' was really about diet dogma and nutrition and how there's very little understanding these days on proper nutritional guidelines for the general public. If you care to read my last post in that thread, I thought I didn't do to bad a job of summing up the issues with diet dogma. I'm starting to learn recently through the principles of metabolic typing espoused by Bill Wolcott, that genetics will determine what an individual should eat for optimal health, which has nothing to do with philosophy or religion and food quality should be your number one priority. I'll add some more links if anyone is interested.

Ketogenic Diets and The Sheeple
https://chekinstitute.com/blog/ketogeni ... e-sheeple/

Doing Away with the Dogma. What Diet Is Right for You?
https://chekinstitute.com/blog/what-die ... t-for-you/

What is the best Diet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ4cRRrAqEM

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2021, 10:50 am

Deep Heat wrote:
The thread I posted about the 'The Danger of veganism' was really about diet dogma and nutrition and how there's very little understanding these days on proper nutritional guidelines for the general public. If you care to read my last post in that thread, I thought I didn't do to bad a job of summing up the issues with diet dogma. I'm starting to learn recently through the principles of metabolic typing espoused by Bill Wolcott, that genetics will determine what an individual should eat for optimal health, which has nothing to do with philosophy or religion and food quality should be your number one priority. I'll add some more links if anyone is interested.

Ketogenic Diets and The Sheeple
https://chekinstitute.com/blog/ketogeni ... e-sheeple/

Doing Away with the Dogma. What Diet Is Right for You?
https://chekinstitute.com/blog/what-die ... t-for-you/

What is the best Diet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ4cRRrAqEM

Metabolic typing is pseudoscientific scam.

Deep Heat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Sep 2021, 6:12 pm

So you think peoples ancestral background has no bearing on what someone should choose to eat? Holistic Health expert Paul Chek, explains it very simply in this article, on primal pattern diet typing, which he personally uses in his own clinical practice.

Primal Pattern Diet Typing
https://chekinstitute.com/wp-content/up ... g_2014.pdf

There's a longer explanation by Bill Wolcott himself. The first 5-10 pages should be enough for you to get the idea on what the system is based on.
Why Metabolic typing
https://www.synergisticseurope.com/wp-c ... typing.pdf

If you could at least read the first article that I have cited and explain what you think is wrong with this approach, then I would be glad to know your opinion on the flaws of this system, before you state what you personally believe is a better method to be used in a clinical setting.

enz
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2021, 6:48 pm

I’ve lost weight doing intermittent fasting which is far less restrictive than keto. No milk in my coffee and no food till 12pm and eating non processed healthy foods

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 3:19 am

enz wrote:
I’ve lost weight doing intermittent fasting which is far less restrictive than keto. No milk in my coffee and no food till 12pm and eating non processed healthy foods

Technically fasting is keto. You can replace "no food" with "no carbs" and in terms of weight loss it would have the same effect.

neilinmich
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Sep 2021, 6:33 am

I was on the Atkins low carb diet for 1 year. I lost 100 lbs. Looking back, I think the main benefit was getting me off of processed foods, and simple/refined carbs. I actually ate more vegetables on low carb than I ate off-diet. The best thing from it was that I learned that the carb cravings would stop after a while. After 100 lbs of loss I started adding back carbs one at a time. Some "healthy" foods brought back the cravings again, like grapes, mango, 100% whole wheat bread. I'm pretty sure I'm addicted to sugar (and wheat) for life.
Now I'm on a low-carb Mediterranean diet. I eat a lot of different food, but I avoid the higher carb items to prevent cravings. I lost another 40 lbs with that. Now I'm at a healthy weight. I don't eat processed food. I cook/prepare all my own food.
I think my autism made it easier for me to stick to a diet. It became a special interest and I got gratification from it. Autism made it easier to learn about nutrition and sticking to a diet.

Looking back, I wish I had started with the Mediterranean diet. It's harder to learn and perform because it takes more cooking and prep than Atkins. And it's a bigger "lifestye" change. But now that I've learned it, I think I feel better/healthier. But that maybe just because I've lost so much weight.