Starting a new hobby, making RPGs with RPGmaker

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Moronerd
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Oct 2017, 4:42 pm

Hi all. I've decided to give rpgmaker another shot. I usually give up on my projects a few hours into them, since I stagnate without some sort of feedback from people about what I'm working on, which isn't exactly a great way to be when undertaking a large project. But I decided to try and stick with it this time.

For anyone that plays around with that program, are there any tips you can share to make it more likely for me to bring my new project to completion. I'm keeping the project small in scope, for one thing, to improve my chances of finishing it. Just focusing on telling a story and making it vaguely immersive.

Blanknight
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Oct 2017, 9:49 am

Well what a coincidence, I also have started to use Rpg Maker again. I used it a lot when I was 10 ~ 12 years old, and even got into some projects but never really completed any of them. I mostly did it alone since I didn't liked being part of a group, so I didn't really had any accountability.

For sticking with your project, the advice I saw in a lot of boards was to find a group, but other than that I don't know. As I said, I didn't complete any projects myself haha

I would guess keeping the game tight and small would make it easier for you in the start, so later you could do bigger games.

What engine are you using? I mostly mess with Rpg Maker 2003, since I like the battle system and the 16-bit graphics. It also has a lot of resources. But I like using the newer ones as well, especially Rpg Maker MV. Though, for that one, I would have to learn JS and I don't really know a good way.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2017, 6:54 pm

Feedback is nice, but I wouldn't worry too much about making a full, complete game (unless you really have that much vision and dedication). A lot of what you're going to be making, like it or not, will end up being practice sketches for bigger and better things.

Moronerd

28 Oct 2017, 8:28 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Feedback is nice, but I wouldn't worry too much about making a full, complete game (unless you really have that much vision and dedication). A lot of what you're going to be making, like it or not, will end up being practice sketches for bigger and better things.

Yeah, I've mostly just done some unfinished projects where I'm simply messing around with the features/plugins and sometimes scripting my own quests. It's fun though.

I use RPGmaker MV, which has a lot of good points. Among other features, it has a lot of community-made plugins that are useable for even projects that you want to make commercial. Another one that's a favorite of mine is the character builder, where you put together elements to create a character's full art assets, Mr. Potatohead style. The only problem with it that I have is I don't care much for chibi characters.

As for learning javascript, if I'm not mistaken, I believe it's possible to make full games without it, just borrowing the plugins of different community programmers. I can understand the desire to learn every aspect of the tool, though, since it does use javascript language.