Trump's pick for ambassador to NZ - please take him back USA

Page 2 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 15,876

28 Oct 2017, 4:36 pm

To be fair the position is largely ceremonial. Here in Oz we've had a suspected war criminal posted as a high commissioner to Australia
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-10-17/s ... es/3574946



B19
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jan 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 9,993
Location: New Zealand

28 Oct 2017, 4:51 pm

The issue with dodgy characters put into diplomatic positions which they are unsuited and unqualified for is that they have diplomatic immunity from criminal prosecution in their host countries. So it is a potentially ideal hunting ground for a sexual predator. They cannot be charged here for rape and other sexual offences unless the sending country's top officials agree - and of course Trump would never agree, as we know. So the only power we have is to ask the USA to take him back, or kick him out if diplomatic requests for a replacement fall on deaf ears.

CD, you may remember back in 2014, Edward Snowden revealed how important NZ was to the USA's spying programme. I assume Australia is too, though he was focusing on NZ at the time and the huge extent of data that the USA was getting from NZ which was crucial to them. However I don't think Trump would know this, nor care if someone tried to tell him; he thinks that the presidency can be run like a real estate business, and that is why his traditional 5 star allies have increasing contempt for him - that level of ignorance, laced with arrogance, in a USA president is unprecedented.



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 15,876

28 Oct 2017, 6:29 pm

B19 wrote:
The issue with dodgy characters put into diplomatic positions which they are unsuited and unqualified for is that they have diplomatic immunity from criminal prosecution in their host countries. So it is a potentially ideal hunting ground for a sexual predator. They cannot be charged here for rape and other sexual offences unless the sending country's top officials agree - and of course Trump would never agree, as we know.

Yes I recall Saudi Arabia and a few gulf state nations had rogue diplomats who used diplomatic immunity to get out of sticky situations

B19 wrote:
CD, you may remember back in 2014, Edward Snowden revealed how important NZ was to the USA's spying programme. I assume Australia is too, though he was focusing on NZ at the time and the huge extent of data that the USA was getting from NZ which was crucial to them. However I don't think Trump would know this, nor care if someone tried to tell him; he thinks that the presidency can be run like a real estate business, and that is why his traditional 5 star allies have increasing contempt for him - that level of ignorance, laced with arrogance, in a USA president is unprecedented.

I think both our countries are of strategic importance but our long term future is up in the air, there is grounds for building closer ties with our ASEAN neighbors



B19
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jan 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 9,993
Location: New Zealand

28 Oct 2017, 7:59 pm

Appointing Brown to a diplomatic post is only one of many examples of Trump's appalling judgments:

1) appointing as national security advisor someone who was secretly a paid agent of foreign powers (he received close to $700,000 from Turkey and Russia) and then keeping him on to receive top secret briefings even after learning the truth about him;

2) appointing his wedding planner to run a HUD office;

3) appointing a neurosurgeon with ZERO experience in housing to run HUD;

4) appointing a woman who never sent her kids to public schools nor ever ran one to head the Dept. of Education;

and these are just a few examples, not the whole caboodle. I could write screeds about Pruitt's unsuitability.

This is why countries like New Zealand who once admired and supported US presidents of both stripes can't stand a bar of Trump, a poll here demonstrated that 98% think he is an abomination as a president.



Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 41,613
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

28 Oct 2017, 9:29 pm

B19 wrote:
Appointing Brown to a diplomatic post is only one of many examples of Trump's appalling judgments:

1) appointing as national security advisor someone who was secretly a paid agent of foreign powers (he received close to $700,000 from Turkey and Russia) and then keeping him on to receive top secret briefings even after learning the truth about him;

2) appointing his wedding planner to run a HUD office;

3) appointing a neurosurgeon with ZERO experience in housing to run HUD;

4) appointing a woman who never sent her kids to public schools nor ever ran one to head the Dept. of Education;

and these are just a few examples, not the whole caboodle. I could write screeds about Pruitt's unsuitability.

This is why countries like New Zealand who once admired and supported US presidents of both stripes can't stand a bar of Trump, a poll here demonstrated that 98% think he is an abomination as a president.


Just 98%? I would think some of our American Trumpanzees slipped over to take part in that poll!


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Sep 2017
Age: 65
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,749

28 Oct 2017, 9:53 pm

Orange Julius apparently thinks the way to cultivate allies is to give them repeated pokes in the eye with a sharp stick.

I am sorry. It is small consolation, but at least you are not also hosting Adulteress Ambassadress Callista Gingrich and her serial adulterer thrice-married spouse. Them, he foisted on the Pope!


_________________
"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!


B19
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jan 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 9,993
Location: New Zealand

28 Oct 2017, 10:03 pm

Julius C was no draft dodger, that's for sure! He'd be better than the orange barbarian anyday!



eric76
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Aug 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,660
Location: In the heart of the dust bowl

28 Oct 2017, 10:57 pm

B19 wrote:
Instead of choosing a diplomatic appointee (as has always happened in the past with the USA ambassadors to NZ, one of the USA's main allies) Trump sent a friend of his with no diplomatic track record, but he landed here with lots of PR about how great he was.

We don't want him Trump
You can have him back Trump
We can see why he's a friend of yours

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... ew-zealand

Even before he arrived here, kiwis made known their objections to this groper being landed on us:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politic ... ew-Zealand


I would be very surprised if the US usually sends Diplomatic personnel to New Zealand to be the ambassador. They only do that for the places that would be very difficult to get someone to go voluntarily if it weren't part of their job.

Out of curiosity a few months ago, I looked through the list of countries with career diplomats from the US as ambassadors. In the entire list, there were only one or two places that I would ever want to live or work. Conversely, I wouldn't mind living or working in just about every country in which the US ambassador was a political appointee.

For anyone with the political pull to become a US ambassador, New Zealand would probably be one of the better places to go.



B19
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jan 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 9,993
Location: New Zealand

31 Oct 2017, 3:52 am

PA means "political appointee" - here is the list of USA ambassadors showing the amateur PA's:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambassado ... ted_States



eric76
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Aug 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,660
Location: In the heart of the dust bowl

31 Oct 2017, 3:15 pm

B19 wrote:
PA means "political appointee" - here is the list of USA ambassadors showing the amateur PA's:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambassado ... ted_States


Are you saying that New Zealand should be considered to be a third world country?



B19
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jan 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 9,993
Location: New Zealand

31 Oct 2017, 3:22 pm

Not at all, I am saying that we don't want an amateur whose behaviour is offensive and inconsistent with a diplomatic posting, as in my opening post.



eric76
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Aug 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,660
Location: In the heart of the dust bowl

31 Oct 2017, 7:53 pm

B19 wrote:
Not at all, I am saying that we don't want an amateur whose behaviour is offensive and inconsistent with a diplomatic posting, as in my opening post.


I missed the part about behavior because I normally ignore links on posts unless there is some kind of summary indicating what the link is about. I figure if someone can't be bothered to give some kind of a summary of the link, then there is no reason for anyone else to even read them.



B19
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jan 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 9,993
Location: New Zealand

31 Oct 2017, 9:38 pm

Your choice.



eric76
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Aug 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,660
Location: In the heart of the dust bowl

01 Nov 2017, 3:34 am

B19 wrote:
Your choice.


Quotes from the link are fine as a substitute for a summary.

For example, see my response on http://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=355898&p=7717638#p7717638. I could have posted the link alone but felt doing that to be completely inadequate. So I provided quotes from the page to cover the main points needed. If someone wants to read more detail, then they can click the link. The link is there as a supplement to my point, not to make my point.

I think that makes for much better discussions than just posting links and expecting people to click on the link with no idea about what the link is even about.



B19
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jan 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 9,993
Location: New Zealand

01 Nov 2017, 4:05 am

A link to a link, and it wasn't relevant to the topic here.



eric76
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Aug 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,660
Location: In the heart of the dust bowl

01 Nov 2017, 4:06 am

B19 wrote:
A link to a link, and it wasn't relevant to the topic here.


But it was relevant to the point I was trying to make -- that a link devoid of context does nothing for a discussion.