Trump's pick for ambassador to NZ - please take him back USA

Page 3 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

B19
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Nov 2017, 4:10 am

Ok, you have made your point, can we get back on topic now please.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2017, 4:18 am

For what it's worth, I find it hardly surprising that a Trump-appointed ambassador would turn out to be a twit. It seems clear that Trump values loyalty far more than ability.

B19
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Nov 2017, 4:35 am

Well we can agree on that.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2017, 4:41 am

One other thing about nominating wealthy citizens for ambassadorships -- as I understand it, they are expected to entertain a lot and to pay for anything exceeding their entertainment budget out of their own pocket. Years ago, I read that the US ambassador in London can expect to spend at least a hundred thousand dollars a year out of his own pocket on entertainment.

The political appointee ambassadors are mainly just figureheads and the real diplomacy is carried out by the real diplomats at the embassy.

B19
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Dec 2017, 2:47 pm

Another USA unqualified Trump pick for ambassador appears to be acting in a very crass fashion:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americas/ ... s-own-lies

Given Trump's inclination to appoint undiplomatic lapdogs rather than diplomats, more reports from other countries seem likely in the future.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2017, 4:10 pm

B19 wrote:
Another USA unqualified Trump pick for ambassador appears to be acting in a very crass fashion:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americas/ ... s-own-lies

Given Trump's inclination to appoint undiplomatic lapdogs rather than diplomats, more reports from other countries seem likely in the future.

Just as I thought, No-Go-Zones are utter bullsh*t.

B19
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Dec 2017, 4:31 pm

The folly of electing a president with no critical thinking skills, no experience in the military, no experience in diplomacy, no experience in government, and a history of mendacity in the service of total self-serving interest is now fully apparent. This sad set of seeds sown are now in almost full sprout I fear, and the harvest may be a very bitter one for the USA, and for the world.

B19
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Jan 2018, 6:07 pm

Australia and South Korea - two allies of enormous importance to the USA, at least as I see it - and after more than a year, neither has been sent a USA ambassador of either kind (the Brown kind or the real kind).

If nothing else, this commentary piece from Australia offers hope of a diplomatic life to used car salesmen:

https://thewest.com.au/politics/us-down ... -s-1815393

MidnightMoon
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2018, 5:39 pm

Sorry. You're stuck with him, New Zealand.

Why yes, I am a conservative.

B19
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 Jan 2018, 5:53 pm

Not necessarily. Diplomats can and have been asked to leave, for a variety of reasons, and some have been ordered to. They can also be tried in criminal court here if their country agrees, as happened recently when a diplomat who stalked and raped a woman was convicted, and removed from New Zealand.

Had Brown gone as far with his offensive sexist behaviour in NZ as he did in Samoa, his embassy here would have been 'spoken to' and asked to convey certain messages to the State Department. This may have happened anyway, and Brown is probably on a final warning status, one more and he's gone.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2018, 4:37 am

I have always thought for about a month that Scott Brown is the next candidate likely to be Weistened. It seems like he that might be the kind of person who pushes those sorts of boundaries. After his victory in Massachusetts, he said that is daughters are attractive and "Both available" and has already been accused of sexual harassment by a Fox news anchor.

Sucks he is here in NZ.

B19
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Jan 2018, 4:41 am

My guess is that Trump never had any independent thought in the nature of "Who shall I send to New Zealand?" What happened, IMO, was that he said to Brown early in his run for the nomination "if you very publicly endorse me, I'll repay you down the line and if you want a cushy number, you can have it".

Trump came to New Zealand once, a long time ago. He was asked if he would be interested in the presidency, and replied that his past with women would rule that out. (Newshub have it on tape and showed it again recently).

When Trump won, Brown presented the bill and Trump paid it accordingly. However like most abusers, Brown shows an habitual tendency and he probably won't stop his inappropriate behaviour, though he may try to be more covert about it. The previous NZ govt would have turned a blind eye, but the current one won't...

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2018, 4:44 am

B19 wrote:
My guess is that Trump never had any independent thought in the nature of "Who shall I send to New Zealand?" What happened, IMO, was that he said to Brown early in his run for the nomination "if you very publicly endorse me, I'll repay you down the line and if you want a cushy number, you can have it".

Trump came to New Zealand once, a long time ago. He was asked if he would be interested in the presidency, and replied that his past with women would preclude that.

I was pretty shocked to see Scott Brown endorse Trump so early on. Here was someone I thought was an extremely moderate Senator who was very pro-choice. And suddenly he turns to the far right in his own party rather than someone like Rubio, Kasich or even Cruz.

He may have done it for political gain and likely did see the way the wind was already going.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2018, 4:47 am

We shouldn't jump to conclusions. Scott Brown could easily just be huge but innocent bufoon who does not understand how his behaviour impacts on others. But knowing the accusations and his conduct of behaviour I would be very wary of him.

B19
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Jan 2018, 4:51 am

Time will tell. Leopards and spots or turning over a new leaf? Past behaviour is generally a better predictor, though there are occasional exceptions.. (though very few in political life).

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2018, 4:59 am

B19 wrote:
Time will tell. Leopards and spots or turning over a new leaf? Past behaviour is generally a better predictor, though there are occasional exceptions.. (though very few in political life).
Maybe, its hard to tell though. There is a lawsuit ongoing from what I understand. We may very well see this man in our day to day lives which feels very odd.