Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Marine414
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Oct 2017, 9:35 pm

Hey everybody so today was the day i received my official diagnosis. So the Diagnosis that i received are social pragmatic communication disorder, Intellectual disability, and ADHD. Does the diagnosis
of social pragmatic communication disorder mean that i am not autistic. I think i am going to get a second opinion on the social pragmatic communication disorde. And does that mean that I'm NT.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2017, 2:05 am

It means they do not think you are autistic because while they think you have the social impairments neccessary to be diagnosed with autism but not the “Restricted, repetitive patterns of behavior, interests, or activities” needed for an autism diagnoses.

It does not make you NT.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Marine414

01 Nov 2017, 5:23 am

The psychologist said that she believes that i do have ASD but the reason why she didn't diagnose me with ASD is because she did not have enough development history to make the diagnosis. That is why i said i want to get a second opinion.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2017, 7:09 am

I would disagree on the "intellectual disability" aspect.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2017, 9:32 am

Marine414 wrote:
The psychologist said that she believes that i do have ASD but the reason why she didn't diagnose me with ASD is because she did not have enough development history to make the diagnosis.

That's really got to suck - you're essentially being told you probably have ASD but you can't get a diagnosis. Is it that she couldn't talk to your parents or anyone else who can talk about your development history?

Marine414

01 Nov 2017, 10:58 am

The problem is that they gave me a form for my Mom to fill out. And i think it was about developmental history. See she thinks there is nothing wrong with me but there is. I am going to see if the psychologist can call my Mom to get my developmental history and if that doesn't work then i am going to get a second opinion because the diagnosis of social pragmatic communication disorder is not covered by insurance companies and i can't get help.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2017, 11:12 am

Marine414 wrote:
The problem is that they gave me a form for my Mom to fill out. And i think it was about developmental history. See she thinks there is nothing wrong with me but there is. I am going to see if the psychologist can call my Mom to get my developmental history and if that doesn't work then i am going to get a second opinion because the diagnosis of social pragmatic communication disorder is not covered by insurance companies and i can't get help.

See if you can get any school records. The same thing happened with someone I know of. The parent didn't have much to offer. But the teacher comments in the growth and development forms they filled out about his behavior described autistic behavior very clearly and that was from several different teachers over a period of several years. Hopefully they had that system where you went to school and the records survived. Good luck.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2017, 11:16 am

Those diagnosis should be enough to get you benefits and accommodations should you need them. There are certain ASD specific accommodations that an ASD diagnosis would be helpful in getting.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman