Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2017, 8:03 pm

For as long as I can remember I have the strange urge to press my fingertips and toes really hard against a surface. It’s like I’m scratching a hard to define itch and it can be really distracting. It’s not soothing or sore and there’s no reason for it other than a weird feeling in my fingertips and toes. Is this a stim? Do other people do this?

I also have the same kind of thing with my throat. It’s a kind of sqweaking noise I make that sounds a bit like a gerbil and I also do that for the same reason - to scratch the “itch”.

Does that sound like stimming or have I been living with mildly annoying tics my whole life?

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2017, 8:37 pm

Sounds very much like a stim. I'm not sure whether I do it or not, but I can certainly say that a lot of my stims do seem to be about pressure or even very mild pain (pinching myself, squeezing thumb against finger, even biting my hand hand or arm)

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2017, 8:47 pm

MindBlind wrote:
For as long as I can remember I have the strange urge to press my fingertips and toes really hard against a surface. It’s like I’m scratching a hard to define itch and it can be really distracting. It’s not soothing or sore and there’s no reason for it other than a weird feeling in my fingertips and toes. Is this a stim? Do other people do this?

I do something a little similar , when sitting down I tend to bend my foot so my ankle touches the floor. Is it a stim? I have no idea sorry as I don't have a Dx.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Masakados
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Nov 2017, 9:02 pm

I've done that for as long as I can remember. I never even realized it was probably a stim.

thebelgradebelief
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Nov 2017, 10:41 pm

I also do this, I didn't even think about it until I read your post. I can also relate to the odd noise making. I would imagine these are both stims.

High school student with Autism and ADHD.
Diagnosed 3/22/18.

Special Interest: The Beatles

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 11:54 am

thebelgradebelief wrote:
I also do this, I didn't even think about it until I read your post. I can also relate to the odd noise making. I would imagine these are both stims.

Well that’s a revelation. Been diagnosed since childhood and it never occurred to me that these things I do are stims.

Is it normal to find your own stims annoying, though? I mean, they don’t make my life awful but I do feel frustrated when I can’t satisfy that “itch”.

There’s a whole lot about stimming I don’t know, I guess.

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Nov 2017, 1:01 pm

I do it, but I usually press down my nails instead of the finger tips. Not the edge of them, but the flat side. It's strangely satisfying.

Masakados
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Nov 2017, 1:07 pm

Embla wrote:
I do it, but I usually press down my nails instead of the finger tips. Not the edge of them, but the flat side. It's strangely satisfying.

When I press my fingertips down I can feel the nail press into the finger. It sounds strange but it's extremely satisfying to me.