Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2017, 10:23 am

0regonGuy wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
B19 wrote:
School children in the USA seem to be taught what to do in the event of a killer-with-a-gun invading their school to kill them. The NZ children are taught to respect the power of the natural world, USA children to fear the evil acts of human beings. What impact does the latter have on a young, formative mind and soul? No wonder we don't understand each other very well at times, and seem to be on totally different wavelengths in discussions like this..

I think the police in the US don't advocate killing an intruder. It's the NRA and their supporters who advocate shooting an intruder or attacker. Of course you could count the number of crimes successfully stopped (because a member of the public carried a gun) on one hand...

When I was in school we never worried about active shooters,but there was just as many guns out there.No drills for shooters then.
We had tornado drills,so yeah we knew about Mother Nature and her wrath.We get tornados every year.
As for people stopping home invasions with a gun,happens regularly on the local news.We have a tweaker problem.
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states ... ading-home
They will crawl thru a doggie door to gain access.

Me too. Not only did we not have active shooter drills, but the school doors were all unlocked and unsecured. Anyone could enter the school at anytime, and nobody even worried about it.

Of course several things were different then. Ronald Reagan hadn't become president yet and shut down all the mental hospitals, and the guns were very different then. People had hunting rifles and shot guns. Handguns were pretty rare. and nobody had semi-automatic or automatic weapons, not even the police. Nobody could have killed 28 people in those days. It would have been physically impossible with the guns that were available at that time.

There were Vietnam era M-16s around,fully automatic.And a few old Thompson's
Both my kids went to a small rural school,people could still just walk on in till the day they graduated.People drove right up to the school door with trucks with guns in the rack,kids brought rifles in their trucks during hunting season so they could hit the woods when school let out.
Something is different about society,no idea what,can't really blame video games or tv violence.People just seem angrier.

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2017, 11:10 am

Yea, there where plenty of semi auto guns and pistols when I was a kid. Sure no ARs or Glocks but M16s, AKs, SKSs, 1911, high powers and more. There where full autos then as there are now. The difference I see today is that they are all locked up in safes rather than leaning in a corner or hanging in a truck window where nobody seemed to bother them for some reason.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2017, 6:25 pm

All the signs of psychopathy were there in plain sight:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/de ... 21c83e3f6f

And yet nobody seemed to question the right of this dangerous psychopath who was cruel to animals, infants, women, a vindictive stalker who resented any opposition to his rage-filled hateful actions and exhibited the hallmarks of a potential mass murderer - to own guns well suited to mass murder. He had expressed admiration of Dylan Roof's mass murder of church people in the past.

Admittedly hindsight is easier, but this piece of **** exhibited so many red flags for so long that he might as well have had a visible tattoo on his forehead: Have guns, feel entitled to kill bigtime.

The links between animal torturers and psychopathy are well established.
A January 2017 report from the Animal Legal Defense Fund found that some states still fail to mandate mental health evaluations or counseling for animal cruelty offenders or to require someone convicted of animal cruelty to give up their animals. Perhaps Texas is one of those states, I don't know. It's time to look at the underbelly of this mass killing, to all of information that was ignored, the whole of it, starting with the failure to register his conviction in the service, and all the other pieces of bystander observation that only now are being reported.

A peculiarity of the media coverage of this mass murderer compared to Paddock is that the media were all over themselves to link family background and relatives to Paddock for public consumption, compared to this mass murderer where there is a strange silence, the only mention I saw was that "he grew up in a million dollar house".

It's unusual for such a blanket of silence with mass killers and something has probably happened in the background to keep information suppressed, and the suppression must have had help from higher levels. It is certainly worth pondering.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2017, 8:35 pm

B19 wrote:
It's unusual for such a blanket of silence with mass killers and something has probably happened in the background to keep information suppressed, and the suppression must have had help from higher levels. It is certainly worth pondering.

The guy himself for lack of a better word was "interesting" instead of the usual "he kept to himself but I never thought him capable"

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

0regonGuy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2017, 8:40 pm

Misslizard wrote:
0regonGuy wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
B19 wrote:
School children in the USA seem to be taught what to do in the event of a killer-with-a-gun invading their school to kill them. The NZ children are taught to respect the power of the natural world, USA children to fear the evil acts of human beings. What impact does the latter have on a young, formative mind and soul? No wonder we don't understand each other very well at times, and seem to be on totally different wavelengths in discussions like this..

I think the police in the US don't advocate killing an intruder. It's the NRA and their supporters who advocate shooting an intruder or attacker. Of course you could count the number of crimes successfully stopped (because a member of the public carried a gun) on one hand...

When I was in school we never worried about active shooters,but there was just as many guns out there.No drills for shooters then.
We had tornado drills,so yeah we knew about Mother Nature and her wrath.We get tornados every year.
As for people stopping home invasions with a gun,happens regularly on the local news.We have a tweaker problem.
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states ... ading-home
They will crawl thru a doggie door to gain access.

Me too. Not only did we not have active shooter drills, but the school doors were all unlocked and unsecured. Anyone could enter the school at anytime, and nobody even worried about it.

Of course several things were different then. Ronald Reagan hadn't become president yet and shut down all the mental hospitals, and the guns were very different then. People had hunting rifles and shot guns. Handguns were pretty rare. and nobody had semi-automatic or automatic weapons, not even the police. Nobody could have killed 28 people in those days. It would have been physically impossible with the guns that were available at that time.

There were Vietnam era M-16s around,fully automatic.And a few old Thompson's
Both my kids went to a small rural school,people could still just walk on in till the day they graduated.People drove right up to the school door with trucks with guns in the rack,kids brought rifles in their trucks during hunting season so they could hit the woods when school let out.
Something is different about society,no idea what,can't really blame video games or tv violence.People just seem angrier.

Yeah, the military had them for fighting overseas, but not the police, and certainly no private citizens had them. The only weapons the police had in those days were 38 specials and shotguns. When Charles Whitman went on his shooting rampage, he did it with a Remington 700 6-mm bolt-action hunting rifle. The police didn't even have anything that could return fire, at that distance. If you told people in those days that some day American citizens would own automatic weapons, they would have looked at you like you were crazy.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2017, 10:48 pm

/\The police didn't till the eighties.Then they became outgunned by gangs,so they acquired them.Civilians did own them then,till 1986.All fully automatic weapons purchased before then are legal.They were grandfathered in.A family friend had an M-16,I was a teenager then.We liked to target practice with it.

0regonGuy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 7:04 am

Misslizard wrote:
/\The police didn't till the eighties.Then they became outgunned by gangs,so they acquired them.Civilians did own them then,till 1986.All fully automatic weapons purchased before then are legal.They were grandfathered in.A family friend had an M-16,I was a teenager then.We liked to target practice with it.

The National Firearms Act of 1934 made it impossible for most Americans to own them. That act was in effect until the late 1960s. People did not own those type of weapons in those days.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 11:10 am

0regonGuy wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

The National Firearms Act of 1934 made it impossible for most Americans to own them. That act was in effect until the late 1960s. People did not own those type of weapons in those days.

It made restrictions but was not a complete ban.
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter ... omatic-we/
Police started having access to them in 1981.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militar ... encies_Act

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 1:50 pm

1911s and browning high powers have been popular guns for 100 years. The high power holds 15 rounds of 9mm.

Full auto M16s where around before and after the 1986 regulations and semi auto m16 became popular eventually becoming the AR15.

You could also get full auto tommy guns, BAR rifles, AK47 and more before 1986. You can still get them now but they are very expensive because there is a limited supply.

Who knows why so many police carried 38 revolvers. They have always been known to be somewhat lacking in effectiveness. They have also had many other options available.

0regonGuy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2017, 12:20 am

jonny23 wrote:
1911s and browning high powers have been popular guns for 100 years. The high power holds 15 rounds of 9mm.

Full auto M16s where around before and after the 1986 regulations and semi auto m16 became popular eventually becoming the AR15.

You could also get full auto tommy guns, BAR rifles, AK47 and more before 1986. You can still get them now but they are very expensive because there is a limited supply.

Who knows why so many police carried 38 revolvers. They have always been known to be somewhat lacking in effectiveness. They have also had many other options available.

They carried 38s because they were more then adequate for the time. It was only after gun nuts started arming themselves with automatic/semi-automatic weapons that the police were forced to upgrade their own weapons. Which made things much more dangerous for al involved.

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2017, 6:08 am

38 was never adequate. That's been proven time and again for many years by the military and police.

0regonGuy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2017, 10:00 pm

jonny23 wrote:
38 was never adequate. That's been proven time and again for many years by the military and police.

It did the job for 90 years until civilians started upgrading to semiautomatics/automatics. If it wasn't for the proliferation of automatic weapons police would still be carrying 38 specials.

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 8:08 am

If that where true then why did 90% of police in the country switch over instead of just the places with gang problems.

Reasons the police chose revolvers:
-Reliability (many early autos where prone to jamming, especially when not maintained regularly)
-Cost (Autos where much more expensive)
-Simplicity (Revolvers are faster to learn and simpler to operate)
-Safer (Many considered the cocked and locked or double actions to be more prone to accidental discharge)
-Longevity (Revolvers last forever with virtually no maintenance)
-Amadextrius
-Tradition (Police used six guns for a long time. Many police saw themselves as the Lawman of the old west)

The move to semi-auto guns started in the 70’s but really took off in the 80's when the glock was introduced. It has a consistent trigger pull with a safety integrated into the trigger. It's simple manual of arms, extreme reliability and relative low cost where as much to do with the change over as the round capacity and ammunition type.

Just because the police use the 38 for so long doesn't mean it was adequate. Cars where not required to have seat belts until 1959 that does not mean they had adequate safety standards for the 46 years before that.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 11:10 am

1959? Try 1983!

It wasn't until 1968 that cars were even required to be fitted for seat belts.

I was shocked to find that out!

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 2:30 pm

You are correct! I don't know where I got '59 from...

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 1:27 pm

Cops did not pursue assault charge against Texas church shooter

Quote:
eriff’s deputies admitted they did not pursue a sexual assault investigation that, in the end, may have prevented a Texas gunman from legally obtaining the firearm he used to slaughter dozens at a church in November.

Nearly four years before Devin Kelley gunned down 25 people, including a pregnant woman, at Firth Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs, a woman accused him of pinning her down and forcing her to perform oral sex, according to records released on Friday.

The unidentified victim reported the incident to the Comal County Sheriff’s office in June 2013 — just three days after the alleged assault occurred. In a handwritten statement to authorities, the woman claimed she’d gone to “hang out” with Kelley, but that he kept trying to kiss her despite the fact she repeatedly turned away.

“At some point he had me sit on the bed with him and he forced me to lay down,” she wrote. “Devin then sat on my chest with my arms restricted underneath.”

Then he tried to force her into oral sex, according to documents.

The Sheriff’s Office never filed charges against Kelley, despite the two-page statement detailing the sexual assault. The case was labeled inactive after authorities struggled to get in touch with the victim and it remained that way — even after authorities were called to Kelley’s home a year later to separately investigate a domestic complaint lodged against him.

"This was an error on the part of the sheriff's office," Reynolds said.

Kelley at that point should have been arrested, Comal County Sheriff Mark Reynolds said. But the department lacked a case-tracking database that would’ve alerted authorities responding to the domestic disturbance that he was the subject of a sexual assault investigation.

Reynolds, who became sheriff last year, is now creating such a database.

The newly released documents also include a statement from Kelley’s ex-wife, Tessa Brennaman. She spoke with the victim a day after the alleged attack, explaining to her how Kelley abused her over the course of their one-year marriage.

“Devin would frequently choke, slap, kick and water-board her and one time even held a gun against her head,” according to the documents.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman