Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

EJC93
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Nov 2017, 6:28 am

Hi new friends!
I'm new here. A 24 year old girl from Sweden :)
I'm autistic (PDD-NOS). I was also diagnosed with OCD and social anxiety disorder at the age of 13.

I have always had an odd way of looking at the world. But ever since two years back I have started to feel that these thoughts I have and my way of looking at the world is getting hard to cope with.
I tried to explain it a hundred times to my doctor and therapist but they can't give me a 100% sure answer about what it is.
My doctor said "It could be obsessive thoughts, and it could be because autism can make people a bit paranoid about things".

Anyway, let me try to explain them. Hopefully some of you can relate! I feel like I'm going crazy.
Naturally I get fascinated with things. It can be basically anything that catches my attention!
Like bumblebees. Blood. Colours. Snow. Like anything. But it's not just a "normal interest" for me. Like I don't read about it to know everything about bumblebees and how they live. It's more like I have a special place or "bubble" in my brain where I lock the thing that I have decided is "perfect" to me. And I don't wanna talk about it or see a bumblebee that doesn't fit my perfect view of it. Because then it destroys it for me. Like I have to control it.

Or if I obsess about the moon. It's so fascinating and round and perfect! But then it bothers me that there are more shapes than round spheres. Like triangles and squares! It doesn't feel natural to me! So I get very uncomfortable.

My latest obsession is death. I think about it every day. What happens when I die? Will I just finally be free from my thougts and just "sleep forever"? Or will I still suffer from them after death? It kills me to not know for sure! I just want to know that when I die, I will be free from it all. To simply stop existing.

These thoughts are so intrusive and I feel trapped in my head. Like I'm not here in a way. I want it to stop so badly.

My doctor prescribed me Fluoxetine 40 mg for OCD. It's been almost 4 weeks and still no improvement.
Will I be stuck with this type of thinking for the rest of my life?

Can anyone relate?

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 3:40 pm

EJC93 wrote:

My doctor prescribed me Fluoxetine 40 mg for OCD. It's been almost 4 weeks and still no improvement.
Will I be stuck with this type of thinking for the rest of my life?

Can anyone relate?

Sometimes drugs can take a little longer than 4 weeks to have an affect , it depends on the person. It also might be the wrong drug or wrong dose for you , you should talk to your Dr about it.

I don't have the same thoughts as you but I do feel like my thinking will be stuck like this for the rest of my life - I can relate to that , it's a frustrating and scary place to be.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2017, 8:29 am

I've just started Prozac today 20mg and know it's going to take at least a month before I'm likely to get any beneficial effects. I thought I'd also point out that I was on Prozac 20 years ago and it made an almost immediate effect to my mood but then just stopped working but at the same time I was switched to a generic brand of Fluoxetine , I didn't think anything of it at the time but have read that sometimes a generic brand can have a different effect , I have specifically asked for Prozac this time to see if it makes a difference ( Then again the change in brand could just be an OCD thing in my mind ).

EJC93
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Nov 2017, 9:57 am

SaveFerris wrote:
I've just started Prozac today 20mg and know it's going to take at least a month before I'm likely to get any beneficial effects. I thought I'd also point out that I was on Prozac 20 years ago and it made an almost immediate effect to my mood but then just stopped working but at the same time I was switched to a generic brand of Fluoxetine , I didn't think anything of it at the time but have read that sometimes a generic brand can have a different effect , I have specifically asked for Prozac this time to see if it makes a difference ( Then again the change in brand could just be an OCD thing in my mind ).

I'm like that too! I don't like the idea of generic brand.. my mind tells me the Original one is always better. But the pharmasists say it's the same thing only cheaper. But I'm not entirely convinced..

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2017, 10:01 am

EJC93 wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:

I'm like that too! I don't like the idea of generic brand.. my mind tells me the Original one is always better. But the pharmasists say it's the same thing only cheaper. But I'm not entirely convinced..

I'm not sure if it's a placebo effect or not but have a read of this , in particular the comments after the article from Dr Chris ( 2nd comment )

https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2011/03 ... -a-downer/

EJC93
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Nov 2017, 10:07 am

SaveFerris wrote:
EJC93 wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:

I'm not sure if it's a placebo effect or not but have a read of this , in particular the comments after the article from Dr Chris ( 2nd comment )

https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2011/03 ... -a-downer/

Interesting :)