Considering a new career path, is it worth pursuing?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

RubyWings91
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Nov 2017, 7:39 pm

Alright, I don't know if this belongs more in the Work and Finding a Job Section or the School and College Life section of this Forum but here are my questions:

Does someone with extremely mild AS stand a good chance of getting a career if they get the proper degrees in fields related to helping/working with other people with Disabilities, such as counseling or psychology? If so, what would probably be the best fields to invest in to get such a position?

Two years ago, I earned a Bachelor's Degree in Conservation Biology. Since then, I have gotten no positions in that field. There are relatively few jobs available and among those that are, I have been repetitively passed up for people with greater experience.

During this time, as I have developed another interest, psychology and more specifically, mental disabilities. It's an interest that has always been there, spurred by my having mild AS, but after some experiences during and after college, it has intensified. I've been toying with the idea of going back to College for a degree that would allow me to work with others with disabilities in a helpful manner.

This summer, I took up a seasonal position as a Direct Care Counselor at a summer camp for people with disabilities, enjoyed it and did well. I felt that I was able to connect with the other campers extremely well, even compared to other counselors. In the report that my supervisors gave, one of the reasons they expressed for my success is that I liked to learn about the campers that I worked with.

Now, I am about to be interviewed for another position that would have me working directly with people who have developmental disabilities. If I get it, that will be a second position within that field. On top of this work experience, my Associates Degree was in Liberal Arts, Math and Science, which means that I already have 2 years of schooling out of the way that I would need in this career field. I figure that these, combined with my interest, would lead me to believe that it might be worth it to just pursue such a degree.

I don't believe that the educational aspect of it would cause me much difficulty. Still, I know from this site that there are often social barriers to someone who has even a mild disability in these fields. At this point, I am only thinking about it as an option but it is one that is becoming increasingly appealing and I would like to know the reality as others have experienced it. Is this a path worth considering?

Stardust Parade
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Nov 2017, 11:35 pm

Since you said you enjoy working with people who have disabilities, have you considered being a social worker? Or a teacher or some sort for people with disabilities?

RubyWings91
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Nov 2017, 9:53 pm

I'm not really sure what I want to do exactly. Part of the reason I posted this here was to help start get some ideas of what type of jobs might be available. I'll definitely look into those types of positions to see if I'd be interested. Thanks for the suggestions.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 10:11 pm

Teaching jobs often pay a lot more than one would guess from the annual salary. The benefits are often considerable. You may still get defined benefits in retirement. Which has all but disappeared in the private sector. And, if you want, you may be able to put a lot of money in a tax deferred 403b account. You need to look at the total benefits package, not just the annual pay.

Private schools have a lot of flexibility in hiring requirements. Teachers like working for private schools because they can concentrate on teaching.

RubyWings91
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Nov 2017, 8:39 pm

thanks