Page 1 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2017, 7:29 am

I'm also curious about how dyscalculia plays out in higher mathematics. When you get out of the realms of mental arithmetic and into conceptual math. Where it is theory, formula, concepts, and simple number crunching stops being the all. It would be safe to say that anyone with this problem never got there - because you've already been convinced by highschool math that "I can't do this, so there's no point trying."
And everyone likely agreed with you. I find this with physics - I always shied away from basic physics because of the number-based math inherent in it - and yet M theory in conceptual form makes perfect sense to me.

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2017, 11:20 am

I can get concepts pretty well. I feel like I might actually be able to do some of the higher maths. I'm a really visual thinker, and I think I fit the "folk engineer/physicist" description. I can sort of reverse engineer, whatever. But trying to come up with the numbers to describe it will probably be wildly inaccurate.
I am not awake yet today.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2017, 3:46 pm

elbowgrease wrote:
I do, I'm pretty sure anyway. Another thing I didn't have a name for until recently, dyscalculia.
I'm pretty much stuck at multiplication and division. Easy things I can divide, or at least get close. Better with multiplication, but not much. If I can write it on paper I can usually get the right answer multiplying. I can't even remember how to divide on paper.
I also have problems with clocks, I can read them but it takes a minute. Estimating distance is just impossible for me. Have a really difficult time trying to grasp music notation, too. I know what pitch is designated, but trying to translate it into time makes my head hurt. I have to figure out timing by ear.
It has always driven me crazy when people insist that music is math, and that being good at one means I must be able to do the other.

I've always had issues with reading music, when I used to learn piano I could never seem to learn the notes, and on top of that I couldn't remember where certain notes were on the piano in relation to one another, and it frustrated me to the point where I actually stormed out and quit...

There was so much homework in that class, labelling sheets of notes wasn't fun. In year 9 we had a music exam, originally I had been put on keyboard playing duty, but as the exam edged closer it was clear that wasn't a good choice, so instead I ended up taking on a singing role.

Our music room had a chart which labelled all of the music notes, and we were given sheet music for the keyboard parts. The teachers left it up to us to refer to the chart, only problem was...I found it hard to read the chart. It was hard for me to tell which line certain dots fell on, my visual processing is incredibly poor (at 14, nearly 15, I scored in the 1st percentile on visual processing tests, whereas in comparison my auditory memory and processing was estimated to be around the 70 to 75th percentile). So yeah...it's clear to see where some of my strengths and weaknesses lie...

I was tested on my rapid naming/ visual processing again at 16, and I scored about the same. :x

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2017, 5:50 pm

I can do pretty well naming pitches on the staff, but I have to be in practice for that. I do have a hard time seeing the staff sometimes, but I tend to think it has to do with the size of the print more than anything.

Another thing I thought of.
I have a really difficult time placing events from my life into the correct year. I'm pretty accurate referring to them by what grade I was in, when I was still in school. And I can usually place how old I was when something happened, but that one's less accurate. But I realized recently that some of my estimates of duration (relationships, jobs, residence) are not accurate at all. And I can't really say how long this thing or that one lasted.

Goldenhawk
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Dec 2017, 11:11 am

C2V wrote:
I'm also curious about how dyscalculia plays out in higher mathematics. When you get out of the realms of mental arithmetic and into conceptual math. Where it is theory, formula, concepts, and simple number crunching stops being the all. It would be safe to say that anyone with this problem never got there - because you've already been convinced by highschool math that "I can't do this, so there's no point trying."

Not true, I've studied higher maths and I have dyscalculia. I was diagnosed with dyscalculia when I was studying at university. No one at the time had a name for my problem: I was clearly very bright but, for some reason, doing the basics as I was taught was just not possible. I had issues with copying and reading the information correctly and then actually doing basic maths. So, I became obsessive with checking my work and copying, and would take hours to do the maths that it would take someone else 30-40 minutes. I also invented my own way to do them using my fingers to do basic calculations without a calculator, and visual memory techniques and pattern recognition to compensate just enough that I could scrape by and take the courses I needed to do - at this point it was calculus & physics which was required to do engineering.

Once I got there I found the theory and concepts were not an issue. It was logical, it made sense and it was beautiful. We were allowed to use calculators, so the strain of working with the numbers was better. The problem with reading the questions accurately, and describing the concepts mathematically, however, never went away, which regrettably meant that I failed the courses. The instructors could never quite figure it out. I completely understood exactly what I needed to do and could identify the formula needed to work with the numbers but actually working with the numbers and preforming the calculations was pretty close to impossible for me to do correctly.

Eventually, I was referred to disability services for testing and diagnosed with severe dyscalculia in addition to dyslexia, dyspraxia. Unfortunately it was too late to actually continue with my engineering degree as I had failed too many courses. Other people have succeeded in higher maths with dyscalculia, so not being able to do the basics doesn't necessarily mean you can't do the higher level stuff, it just makes it more challenging.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2017, 12:52 am

Goldenhawk wrote:
C2V wrote:

Not true, I've studied higher maths and I have dyscalculia. I was diagnosed with dyscalculia when I was studying at university. No one at the time had a name for my problem: I was clearly very bright but, for some reason, doing the basics as I was taught was just not possible. I had issues with copying and reading the information correctly and then actually doing basic maths. So, I became obsessive with checking my work and copying, and would take hours to do the maths that it would take someone else 30-40 minutes. I also invented my own way to do them using my fingers to do basic calculations without a calculator, and visual memory techniques and pattern recognition to compensate just enough that I could scrape by and take the courses I needed to do - at this point it was calculus & physics which was required to do engineering.

I was required to take calculus for my college and I had already taken the class in high school and got a C. My grade for the college was significantly lower on tests. I got a D on the midterm and 15 on the final. I was basically in my professor's office every day spending 4 hours on homework. After the midterm, I gave up and cheated on every single homework assignment and got a C-. If I didn't cheat, I would not have passed.
It would take me hours ever since I was a kid to do even basic algebra. I remember my Algebra B class in high school's "review" test on Algebra A and I failed.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2017, 1:06 am

Goldenhawk wrote:

Once I got there I found the theory and concepts were not an issue. It was logical, it made sense and it was beautiful. We were allowed to use calculators, so the strain of working with the numbers was better. The problem with reading the questions accurately, and describing the concepts mathematically, however, never went away, which regrettably meant that I failed the courses. The instructors could never quite figure it out. I completely understood exactly what I needed to do and could identify the formula needed to work with the numbers but actually working with the numbers and preforming the calculations was pretty close to impossible for me to do correctly.

Eventually, I was referred to disability services for testing and diagnosed with severe dyscalculia in addition to dyslexia, dyspraxia. Unfortunately it was too late to actually continue with my engineering degree as I had failed too many courses. Other people have succeeded in higher maths with dyscalculia, so not being able to do the basics doesn't necessarily mean you can't do the higher level stuff, it just makes it more challenging.

Ok so maybe you got to higher math, but you still failed higher math because of this problem. How is it you weren't dissuaded earlier in your education? Because I'm assuming this issue didn't just pop up out of nowhere. It's pretty ballsy to go on to study higher math at university when you already know you have a problem with math.
It's a shame though, this response - I was hoping that when one got into higher math, dyscalculia would be less of a barrier. Because I too find math to be beautiful and am very much interested in it - I'd love to do it even just as a hobby. But I simply never got past the number crunching section of it and thus, never learned more than that. And now as an adult, it seems too late. Plus it's humiliating that I can't do the simple math that a child could do, but am interested in the higher levels. The little I know of conceptual math and physics makes perfect sense.
What kinds of things did you study in physics?

Goldenhawk

04 Dec 2017, 6:06 pm

C2V wrote:
Ok so maybe you got to higher math, but you still failed higher math because of this problem. How is it you weren't dissuaded earlier in your education?

Stubbornness mostly. I knew what I wanted to do and I refused to let anything, including my inability to do basic maths, get in my way of studying engineering. Basic maths was my personal hell, but I figured it was just something I would have to put up with, so I was determined to stick with it. This, of course, fell apart at university as my coping mechanisms were overwhelmed, and lacking a diagnosis, I didn't have a way of accessing any help or extra support at the time. But, failing those courses did lead to a diagnosis, so something positive came of it.

You can, with the appropriate help, actually go on to study higher maths, and actually succeed at it. There was an interview with Dr Emma King who has a degree in Cosmology from the University of Nottingham on Radio 4 that I listened to a while ago. She's also got dyscalculia - there is a video interview with her here: http://www.vega.org.uk/video/programme/301
At 5:58 is where she starts talking about her diagnosis and how dyscalculia affects her. My dyscalculia is more severe than hers but if you actually look at the higher level maths equations, it's just strings of letters and symbols. Those are much easier to work with than actual numbers.

If you are genuinely interested in it, go for it. It's never to late to study a subject on your own. Grab a few books and try it. You might be surprised at how well you get on with it!

C2V wrote:
What kinds of things did you study in physics?

It was a while ago, but most of the physics courses were looking at things like force, gravity, and comparing objects moving through the atmosphere with those in a vacuum. I also learned how to work with electronics and calculate voltage & resistance, etc. in series and parallel (blowing up resistors was fun!). Fluid dynamics was fun, as it was about resistance through tubes and was useful in understanding physiology. We also learned about lenses and light refraction. So lots of stuff really. Memorising the equations and doing the basic maths was difficult, but doing the practicals was really fun.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2017, 9:23 pm

Goldenhawk wrote:
You can, with the appropriate help, actually go on to study higher maths, and actually succeed at it. There was an interview with Dr Emma King who has a degree in Cosmology from the University of Nottingham on Radio 4 that I listened to a while ago. She's also got dyscalculia - there is a video interview with her here: http://www.vega.org.uk/video/programme/301
At 5:58 is where she starts talking about her diagnosis and how dyscalculia affects her. My dyscalculia is more severe than hers but if you actually look at the higher level maths equations, it's just strings of letters and symbols. Those are much easier to work with than actual numbers.

If you are genuinely interested in it, go for it. It's never to late to study a subject on your own. Grab a few books and try it. You might be surprised at how well you get on with it!

That's the kicker isn't it - appropriate help. I well remember what it was like people trying to teach me math all those years. It was horrible, I was SO frustrated and felt like an idiot. They inevitably got frustrated with my inabilities and started getting aggressive with me, eventually getting angry and giving up completely.
That interview is great though - I too would be more severe than that, as she could actually do those sums, just had difficulty, whereas I would not be able to do them - but it's interesting how she differentiates between "arithmetic" and "math." Because it's true - people think of math as all numbers, and you have to start by mastering the "basics" and if you can't do that, there's no way to do the higher forms because it is a cumulative discipline, and must be "built on" (which is what I always always told anyway). If you can't do the start, there's nothing to "build" on.
I find it all SO interesting though. I find all facets of natural sciences interesting (doesn't help that I love everything by Brian Cox :wink: ) and would like to learn the higher math. Can you even teach yourself these things, or do you need a teacher? Do you really need to master basic arithmetic to get there?
I do wish there was the support with numbers as there is with words for adult learning disabilities.

Glflegolas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Dec 2017, 3:32 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:

"Right answer, wrong question", was a common phrase I'd hear in my maths class.

Although my answers were technically correct, I would copy the question down incorrectly, and often accidentally create my own. If the question was say, 5*9 on a worksheet, then sometimes my brain would take numerical information from across the sheet, say 2+3, and combine the two, 5+3.

It's also common for my brain to read plus signs as minus, or times as plus (or vice versa).

My teachers were never concerned though, they just found it funny. One teacher I had would mock me, sometimes I would even get in trouble for it. Which I thought was unfair because it wasn't like I was purposefully trying to write the question down wrong.

She told me that I needed to focus on the board more, due to this I would often recheck my work before she came over to make sure I hadn't gotten any of the questions wrong, because if I did then she would grab the paper and complain at me whilst the rest of the class fell into silence. I hated it.

My issues were always in plain sight, but the people around me just either assumed I was an idiot, that I didn't try, or both.

I mainly struggle with arithmetic, and when I found out that a lot of what I was dealing with fell under dyscalculia symptoms, suddenly it made sense.

School was frustrating to me, because sometimes I would get good at a particular method in maths, and the next day I would just forget it as if I had my memory wiped. It left many of my maths teachers puzzled. "But, you were really good at this last lesson, how have you forgotten?". So to remind myself, I would usually read over the notes from last lesson, and try to practice, but often to no avail.

Mental maths felt impossible, and I'll admit that I often secretly wrote notes on my hand trying to work out equations during mental maths tests.

Mainly because I often lost where I was whilst trying to visualise equations, to the point where I get midway through working out a question, and have to start at the beginning because I couldn't remember where I was with working it out.

Sometimes I would cry in frustration whilst doing maths homework. I hated how I was trying so hard, yet my teachers sometimes accused me of not trying hard enough. :(

Holy mackerel. Every single point (and I mean it, quite literally) you raised there is something I've experienced. Especially mixing up +/- signs... that still happens all the time (the same happens with letters too, but more rarely). Well, as a famous YouTuber once said, there are three kinds of people in the world, those that can count, and those that can't! (Bonus if you know who said that)

Myers-Briggs personality: The Commander
Asperger's Quiz: 79/111, both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits present. AQ score: 23 Raads-r score: here

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2017, 5:29 am

I was diagnosed with severe dyscalculia early on; they had me seeing shrinks when I was about 5 years old. Oddly enough, I could read on a college level. LD, combined with the viciously brutal bullying from other kids which I was subjected to, led my current therapist to suggest testing for ASD. No one ever suggested Asperger's until now; they just assumed that I was just an as*hole with poor social skills.

The Musings Of The Lost
Toucan
Toucan

28 Dec 2017, 10:03 am

I can solve math problems fairly well, but I often have trouble understanding and comprehending it,

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2018, 8:27 pm

Is that the same thing as "mathematics disorder"? I have that but if I had been diagnosed as a child, life would have been a lot easier.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2018, 8:59 pm

MagicMeerkat wrote:
Is that the same thing as "mathematics disorder"? I have that but if I had been diagnosed as a child, life would have been a lot easier.

Yes, it is also sometimes referred to as "Numerical dyslexia".

LittleCoyoteKat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2018, 2:47 am

I'd like to get my Dyscalculia confirmed but I wouldn't even know how to go about it, and I'm sure it costs money which I don't really have right now.

I hate math. I hate that I can't understand it at all, I hate that my parents spent hundreds upon hundreds of dollars during my childhood on all these different programs and aids and yadda yadda that was "guaranteed to work!" and all of it failed. I hate that it's like trying to grab a polished steel rod with butter coating my hands. It's so FRUSTRATINGLY impossible.

Though I did have a really good laugh once. I failed the math portion of my CAHSEE in grand fashion (I felt SO utterly defeated because I'd tried the hardest I'd ever tried, graffiti-ing a piece of paper with horribly done "calculations"), and as we were allowed 2 more tries I just went ahead and did it over but guessed EVERY SINGLE ANSWER. I passed. With an "Average" score. I literally sat there, went "That looks like it's probably in the ballpark I guess." and got most of them right.
I've never been more simultaneously infuriated and amused in my life.

I am a Bookwyrm.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2018, 11:02 pm

I was only able to get as far as basic fractions and even that I did badly. By now I have probably forgotten how it works.