Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2017, 1:37 pm

Does anyone agree that the 1980s had a 1940s feel too it?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2017, 1:43 pm

Well....no.

I don't see it..

But feel free to expound.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2017, 1:48 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Well....no.

I don't see it..

But feel free to expound.

People say that the 1980s was most like the 1960s.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2017, 4:44 pm

Each decade seems to have its own uniqueness.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2017, 7:46 pm

In the 1980's everything was bright and flashy and neon-colored. But in the 1940's everything was in black and white. That's because the world itself was black and white back then. :lol:

But seriously, the 80's was really different from the 40's. In the 40's there had been a world war going on for almost half the decade, and things like Velcro, Tupperware, and the Slinky had just been invented. Instead of TV people would listen to radio shows, which were like TV except there weren't any pictures. The Golden Age of Animation had reached its peak, and swing was the most popular music at the time. It was perfectly okay and acceptable to wear fur and smoke in public, and there were places where black people were banned. Ronald Reagan was still an actor. There was no Pac-Man or video games. Popular 40's toys included Army Men and Silly Putty. In the 80's we had My Little Pony and Transformers. In the 80's if you liked something it was "hip" in the 80's it was "cool", "radical", or "rad" for short. In the 40's being "lame" meant you had an injured leg, and being "gay" meant you were really happy. :D

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2017, 8:31 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
In the 1980's everything was bright and flashy and neon-colored. But in the 1940's everything was in black and white. That's because the world itself was black and white back then. :lol:

But seriously, the 80's was really different from the 40's. In the 40's there had been a world war going on for almost half the decade, and things like Velcro, Tupperware, and the Slinky had just been invented. Instead of TV people would listen to radio shows, which were like TV except there weren't any pictures. The Golden Age of Animation had reached its peak, and swing was the most popular music at the time. It was perfectly okay and acceptable to wear fur and smoke in public, and there were places where black people were banned. Ronald Reagan was still an actor. There was no Pac-Man or video games. Popular 40's toys included Army Men and Silly Putty. In the 80's we had My Little Pony and Transformers. In the 80's if you liked something it was "hip" in the 80's it was "cool", "radical", or "rad" for short. In the 40's being "lame" meant you had an injured leg, and being "gay" meant you were really happy. :D

Best way to describe those decades. Very accurate.

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on November 12, 2017)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2017, 9:01 pm

I think the 1980s were more like a combination of the 1950s and the 1960s than anything else. The Kinks were very popular in the 80s. There were also lots of documentaries on the bands and the music of the 60s British Invasion. Young me grew their hair longer than they do now. Young men had their hair very short in the 1940s. There were lots of new songs on the radio that sounded like they were recorded in the 50s and 60s. There were also movies about people who made it big in the 50s and the 60s. Black and white TV shows were also popular. If either Elvis Presley or The Beatles weren't your favourite in the 80s, there was something seriously wrong with you. The Monkees was also a very popular TV show in the 80s. People either tight-rolled their jeans or let them flare out in the 80s, which is something people did in the 60s. The 90s were even more similar to the 60s now that I think about it.

Stardust Parade
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Nov 2017, 4:04 pm

Apart from the shoulder pads that were popular in women's dresses/blouses, no not really.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 5:40 pm

Nostalgia skips a decade.

Movies that depicted the 1930's as an era first came out in the Fifties.

The Fifties decade itself began to appear in movies and in TV sitcoms in the 70's.

The Eighties revived interest in Sixties Motown, and in other oldies music of the Sixties.

In the Nineties half of the Top 40 pop and rap hits were either covers of Seventies disco hits, or heavily sampled Seventies disco hits.

There was a time lag with the Forties however. The Forties were heavily dominated by the War. The first non War movie to depict the Forties that I can remember was oddly enough "Who Killed Roger Rabbit?" which was in the late Nineties. It was a sendup of both the Bogey type Film Noir movies of the Forties and a send up of the manic cartoons of the same era. "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid" came out about that time as well. The Nineties saw a revival of "Jumpin' Jive Music": the dance music that came after the Big Band Swing era (1930 to 1945), and before Elvis put rocknroll on the map in 1955. The music of Louis Jordan, Amos Milburn, and Louis Prima, inspired Nineties acts like Brian Seltzer, the Cherry Poppin Daddies, Zoot Suit Riot, to create a modern rock version of the sound of the boogie woogie jump jazz era.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 10:00 pm

Been watching Who Framed Roger Rabbit? I think the 80s were more like the 50s. And nowadays is like the 80s and the 50s. Part of the 30 year cycle.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 10:01 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
In the Nineties half of the Top 40 pop and rap hits were either covers of Seventies disco hits, or heavily sampled Seventies disco hits.

I really miss the 70s nostalgia of the 90s. We shall never see it again.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 11:24 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

you're nostalgic about the 90's nostalgia for the 70's????? :lol:

I'm actually also kinda nostalgic about both the 70's and the 90's nostalgia for the 70's.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 11:46 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

you're nostalgic about the 90's nostalgia for the 70's????? :lol:

I'm actually also kinda nostalgic about both the 70's and the 90's nostalgia for the 70's.

Yes :'( It reminds of my youth. I remember when bell bottoms briefly came back in style and faded just as quickly.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 12:03 am

...I suppose there were big shoulder pads, especially on women (Joan Crawford, Joan Collins) in the 40s and 80s. You mean that? 8O 8)

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!