Page 5 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2017, 12:22 am

I don't know. I don't know how smart the average NT is.

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2017, 4:27 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I don't know. I don't know how smart the average NT is.

They're quite disappointing mate. Add to that mix the usual arrogance and ignorance and you've got one irritating individual.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2017, 11:02 am

Based on earning a PhD in synthetic chemistry at a large university, I would have to say yes to the original question.

Does it make me feel happier than a NT? No. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. There are many things I wish I did not know about at all. It has taken me a long time to figure out a means to forget those things on purpose.

Does it make me a better person than an NT? No. I have to be careful on what I can create with my mind. I have a Dr. Frankenstein side that sometimes works it way loose from my control when I am bullied. For this, I am no saint, more like a monster. Unfortunately, that is the hand of fate I was dealt with. As my late father used to say "Life is what you make of it from what you have been given to work with".

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2017, 11:16 am

My sister and I are both reasonably intelligent. She is NT. I am most likely not . She is a respected principal with Gensler. I have never worked . She has quite a few friends. I have none.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2017, 11:39 am

One thing that annoys me if people only see our strengths so have high expectations of us but ignore our weaknesses.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2017, 11:49 am

At comparable levels I wonder who does more with their intelligence,or is it very much even Stevens?

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2017, 2:44 pm

firemonkey wrote:
At comparable levels I wonder who does more with their intelligence,or is it very much even Stevens?

The answer depends greatly upon the people themselves. But, there is something that can favor one side. Aspies do have a tenancy to hyper-focus on a subject matter for long periods of time, an ability that few NTs have mastered. Some NTs can do it, but usually they are restricted to short bursts before losing focus on the subject. (I saw that happen many times in grad school while studying for cume exams.) Those that can use that skill to an advantage in their work have more of a chance of using their intelligence correctly than those who cannot.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2017, 4:38 pm

QuantumChemist wrote:
firemonkey wrote:

The answer depends greatly upon the people themselves. But, there is something that can favor one side. Aspies do have a tenancy to hyper-focus on a subject matter for long periods of time, an ability that few NTs have mastered. Some NTs can do it, but usually they are restricted to short bursts before losing focus on the subject. (I saw that happen many times in grad school while studying for cume exams.) Those that can use that skill to an advantage in their work have more of a chance of using their intelligence correctly than those who cannot.

Then again unless an Aspie can get into employment where such isn't of major importance their EQ and social skills deficits will have a detrimental effect on job progression. Ergo they won't do as well as their intelligence might indicate.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2017, 6:07 pm

firemonkey wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:
firemonkey wrote:

Then again unless an Aspie can get into employment where such isn't of major importance their EQ and social skills deficits will have a detrimental effect on job progression. Ergo they won't do as well as their intelligence might indicate.

True, that does greatly depend on what type of career that they are going into. If it is in a job that requires a ton of socialization, the advantage goes to the NTs hands down. We have all seen people kiss their way up the ladder (brown-nosing), whether or not the person is actually fit for the advancement. I deal with it in higher education every day. It is the least fun part of my job.

If the job does not involve much socialization (more isolation), the advantage goes to the NDs. Usually those type of jobs do not involve as much brown-nosing and that blocks some NTs from wanting to work in those areas. It can be a challenge to find a job like that anymore though. The key is to be able to get one's foot in the door on a job, any job, to get experience on the resume.

ZachGoodwin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2017, 6:08 pm

No.