Page 2 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 71,560
Location: Queens, NYC

13 Nov 2017, 6:09 am

For certain toothaches, painkillers don't do a damn thing.

The only cure is either a root canal or an extraction.

You should have gone to the dentist. Aren't they free in the U.K.?



bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Mar 2016
Gender: Female
Posts: 589
Location: Australia

13 Nov 2017, 6:29 am

Daniel89 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
I'm the classic "book smart yet little common sense" sort of guy.

Though I've gotten less book smart, and I've acquired a little bit of common sense, over the years.

I'm not so sure that I'm happy that I'm less book smart, though.

I still suck as far as decorating a house and fixing things are concerned.


I too feel like I have become less intelligent. The common sense thing applies to me too, last year I had really bad tooth ache and totally forgot painkillers were even a thing so was in agony for days.


This is me too. I get migraines and forget to do anything about them. It's not until my Husband points out that I'm walking around squinting and being grumpy that I even realize I'm having one :roll:


_________________
I have a piece of paper that says ASD Level 2 so it must be true.


bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Mar 2016
Gender: Female
Posts: 589
Location: Australia

13 Nov 2017, 7:05 am

xatrix26 wrote:
I would say that I am on the whole. My IQ is been tested at 150 and my memory has been classified as autobiographical, highly accurate and quite extensive. It's a curse really. You can't forget even those traumatic events that you would LIKE to forget.

I look at NTs as if they're nothing but unsophisticated meatheads with their heads firmly implanted inside of themselves. Needless to say, as I've said in these forums many times that NTs bother me in more ways than one.


I was told by the psychologist who tested my HFA son that an IQ score would be totally meaningless because his abilities ranged from the top .002% to the bottom 6%. My NT son's abilities fall within a fairly narrow band and he has an IQ of 160. I don't think either of them are superior, they are just different and the NT one has always felt he is the dumb one because he compares himself to his brothers splinter skills. I wish he wouldn't. When I tell him he's smart too he says of course I say that because I'm his Mum so I have to. He certainly isn't a meathead. He is one of the nicest, kindest and most caring people you could ever meet. He just has no faith in himself.


_________________
I have a piece of paper that says ASD Level 2 so it must be true.


Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Oct 2017
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,592

13 Nov 2017, 7:25 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
For certain toothaches, painkillers don't do a damn thing.

The only cure is either a root canal or an extraction.

You should have gone to the dentist. Aren't they free in the U.K.?


Yeah the dentist is free but you generally have to wait at least a couple of days.



Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Mar 2017
Age: 57
Gender: Male
Posts: 809

13 Nov 2017, 9:47 am

I was a child prodigy and still frequently amaze people, so yes in terms of purely intellectual matters.

In terms of day-to-day life and interactions, I'm often inept, at least by most people's standards. (Though they're often inept by mine.).


_________________
"Donkeys live a long time. None of you has ever seen a dead donkey."


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 71,560
Location: Queens, NYC

13 Nov 2017, 10:29 am

^^^ I would have put myself on that waiting list right away! (or as you say, "straight away.")

I had to endure a whole week of a toothache. Sleepless nights. Emergency room visits in a hospital located in a VERY bad area.

Until I had sense enough to find a dentist who took my insurance.



ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 63
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,256
Location: Long Island, New York

13 Nov 2017, 10:38 am

bunnyb wrote:
I was told by the psychologist who tested my HFA son that an IQ score would be totally meaningless because his abilities ranged from the top .002% to the bottom 6%.


That right there describes what being autistic is often about. That is why functioning labels are also often meaningless.


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 71,560
Location: Queens, NYC

13 Nov 2017, 10:43 am

I'm smarter than the average bear...... :P



xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Oct 2017
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 614
Location: Canada

13 Nov 2017, 10:54 am

bunnyb wrote:
xatrix26 wrote:
I would say that I am on the whole. My IQ is been tested at 150 and my memory has been classified as autobiographical, highly accurate and quite extensive. It's a curse really. You can't forget even those traumatic events that you would LIKE to forget.

I look at NTs as if they're nothing but unsophisticated meatheads with their heads firmly implanted inside of themselves. Needless to say, as I've said in these forums many times that NTs bother me in more ways than one.


I was told by the psychologist who tested my HFA son that an IQ score would be totally meaningless because his abilities ranged from the top .002% to the bottom 6%. My NT son's abilities fall within a fairly narrow band and he has an IQ of 160. I don't think either of them are superior, they are just different and the NT one has always felt he is the dumb one because he compares himself to his brothers splinter skills. I wish he wouldn't. When I tell him he's smart too he says of course I say that because I'm his Mum so I have to. He certainly isn't a meathead. He is one of the nicest, kindest and most caring people you could ever meet. He just has no faith in himself.


HF Autistics on the whole can achieve higher scores on intelligence rated exams so the term "meaningless" is a bit uncharitable and completely inaccurate. Wherever intelligence is measured HFAs can exceed that of NTs in more ways than one. To say that we all have weaknesses is also accurate, but, NTs cannot compete on the same level on intelligence scoring tests as HFAs. Whatever psychologist talked to you sounds like the new breed of shrink, dismissive, mental midget, easily threatened, and a typical NT meathead.

It is a shame that you took my post personally because it certainly wasn't directed at anyone close to you. I don't know you. How could I? Hmmmm... Are you a spy for the NT race? Perhaps you stumbled upon the wrong forums here. A pity. Batting for the "other" side, the NTs, whilst in the Autistic forums won't get you any sympathy here, that's for sure.

These forums are supposed to be our sanctuary, not a place where we, real Autistics, who suffer on a daily basis at the hands of NTs, can vent our anger and frustration. Most of us have endured incredible tortures and humiliations because of NTs who found us to be a threat, and/or too weird to handle. My own anxiety and depression has skyrocketed because of impossible social situations in the workplace, because of meathead NTs.

So, my original assessment stands.


_________________
*** Severe High Functioning Autism - Asperger's Syndrome ***

ADHD, BiPolar, GAD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)


firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Mar 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,470
Location: Calne,England

13 Nov 2017, 10:55 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'm smarter than the average bear...... :P


Even Yogi ?


_________________
Support mental health research
Please support mental health research
http://www.mentalhealthresearchuk.org.uk/
http://mcpin.org/
https://www.mqmentalhealth.org/


Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 133 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 47 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 71,560
Location: Queens, NYC

13 Nov 2017, 10:57 am

I'd have to think about that......

He's certainly got me beat in the picnic basket department.....



Leahcar
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2016
Gender: Female
Posts: 240
Location: United Kingdom

13 Nov 2017, 11:40 am

I'm definitely not what you'd call an intellectual, I'm afraid
I'd say my mental capacity is about average for someone my age, but I am a little slow on the uptake, and I have very poor common sense.


_________________
I'm sailing across Spectrum Sea, in my little boat.
The waters of the port were choppy. After I set off, there was a long, massive storm.
Years later, however, the sea calmed. I'm still on tranquil sea, but I'll never reach the Neurotypical Beach.


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 71,560
Location: Queens, NYC

13 Nov 2017, 11:44 am

I appeared "intelligent" and a "walking encyclopedia" when I was a kid.

However, I possessed no critical thinking ability until I was in high school, at least.



Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Feb 2008
Age: 72
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,121
Location: Where the Great Plains meet the Northern Pines

13 Nov 2017, 11:53 am

I got sent to gr. 9 at age 12, and had a counsellor "expect more from my IQ" but nobody told me what it was. (probably 154) The teachers gave up on me because they were busy with the dummies and discipline problems, and thought I was lazy, not missing some basics.



ConfusedVoice
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Joined: 27 Oct 2017
Age: 37
Gender: Female
Posts: 27

13 Nov 2017, 12:09 pm

I've always been book smart (math particularly) and did better than many of my peers in school, however I do stupid things constantly. My husband is NT and way smarter than me, but that's what drew me to him.


_________________
Married with 2 children.

Diagnosed with severe ADHD and High Functioning Aspergers.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 154 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 55 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)


lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Jan 2010
Age: 46
Gender: Female
Posts: 9,762
Location: Lost on Earth, waddya think?

13 Nov 2017, 2:55 pm

When I was a kid in grade school I could read, write, and draw better than most other kids in the same class but I don't remember the teachers actually saying I was smarter because of it. Maybe it's because I had such a struggle with math.

And everyone knows only *smart* people are good at math . Any dim-witted person can be good at reading and writing, and drawing is an utterly worthless ability that will never get you anywhere in life. (severe sarcasm) :roll: