Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 4:38 am

So for a while I was a huge music snob. Eventually I got fed up with music. Recently I got a Spotify subscription and said screw it I'm going to binge on pop music. And I really did. It was pretty dated, but it was pop. I also got into generic trap and a bit of generic indie. Basically normal people music. Bu that didn't last long. I recently got hardcore into experimental folk music. Particularly throat singing. Why? Why? Why? Why? If someone is going to be obsessed with throat singing, it gotta be me! I'm the one who got into Finnish accordion music. This throat singing crap makes bjork and death grips look normal. I'm just not enjoying pop and hip-hop as much as I used to. But listening to death grips on the bus is still fun.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 5:05 am

I have long admired Bjork's creativity, but she is really getting out there in her last few albums.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 9:56 am

Throat singing is something that professional musicians in the West often admire because they can appreciate the technical aspects - and be amazed at how humans can sing like three notes at once.

But for most music listeners in the West...throat singing (from Cultures of the Asian Steppes like Tuva, Outer Mongolia, and Tibet) is an "acquired taste" at best. Harsh medicine to try to savor.

But if you're into it go for it.

We had a tape of authentic Tuvan (Tuva is a little country sandwiched between the Russian Republic and Outer Mongolia) throat singing that became an inside family joke. Its so bad that its good. Lets torture guests with it. Lol!

But one time while listening to it I tried to imagine it without the throat singing. Oddly it sounded a lot like Elizabethan English madrigals. I am not musicologist, but that's what it reminded of. Not a bad sound actually.

Some folks have suggested that Tuvan throat singing is similar to some American country singing that involves yodeling (Hank Williams Senior, Ernest Tubb, Eddie Arnold), and further that the lonesome high plains of the US are similar to the Asian Steppes (something about both settings makes a person wanna yodel).

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 11:53 am

VIDEODROME wrote:
I have long admired Bjork's creativity, but she is really getting out there in her last few albums.

I kind of find her most recent album boring. lol

naturalplastic wrote:
Throat singing is something that professional musicians in the West often admire because they can appreciate the technical aspects - and be amazed at how humans can sing like three notes at once.

But for most music listeners in the West...throat singing (from Cultures of the Asian Steppes like Tuva, Outer Mongolia, and Tibet) is an "acquired taste" at best. Harsh medicine to try to savor.

But if you're into it go for it.

We had a tape of authentic Tuvan (Tuva is a little country sandwiched between the Russian Republic and Outer Mongolia) throat singing that became an inside family joke. Its so bad that its good. Lets torture guests with it. Lol!

But one time while listening to it I tried to imagine it without the throat singing. Oddly it sounded a lot like Elizabethan English madrigals. I am not musicologist, but that's what it reminded of. Not a bad sound actually.

Some folks have suggested that Tuvan throat singing is similar to some American country singing that involves yodeling (Hank Williams Senior, Ernest Tubb, Eddie Arnold), and further that the lonesome high plains of the US are similar to the Asian Steppes (something about both settings makes a person wanna yodel).

I think I enjoy it for several reasons.
1. I'm a musician myself. I enjoy the technical aspect. While there's a lot of "drone" music out there I just find throat singing way more interesting sounding. With other drone music I feel like anyone could make it, so a lot of it might involve boring bedroom producers. Throat singing filters out a lot of the boring crap for me.

2. It fits in perfectly with the 14 year old rule. While I wasn't exactly obsessed with throat singing as a teen, a few Bjork songs I enjoyed incorporated it. A folk band I listened to as a teen also included throat singing in one album. So it is part of my musical landscape.

3. I've been harassed lately. I just want to feel like I'm left alone. Throat singing really accomplishes that well.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2017, 12:13 pm

I didn’t know you were a musician, Devil Kisses.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2017, 12:56 pm

^She has been the WP foremost authority on accordion music, and polkas, for years!

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 12:49 pm

"Normal-person music" both bores me to tears and grates on my ears. I think it's the production values, though. Something about the sound most producers strive for. I spend a lot of time at open mics, and quite often people sing covers of recent hits and I go "That's a pretty good song, actually!"

I grew up on classical music, then got heavily into the the whole "world music" thing when I left home. Throat-singing, klezmer, ragas... I miss the record section in Borders, which was great for discovering music from places I'd never heard of. There's a few more mainstream singers and bands I like, but nowadays I mainly listen to really, really obscure classical music.

MidnightMoon
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2017, 12:59 am

I've been listening to thrash metal for about two years now. It's weird, because I never was all that interested in it until someone told me to listen to "A Tout Le Monde" by Megadeth. I listened, and it was all over for me. From there, it went to Metallica, to Iron Maiden...now I'm starting to get a bit into Anthrax as well.

Why yes, I am a conservative.