Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 5:49 pm

Sometimes it's a distraction...other times I find it entertaining. :D

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Jun 2007, 6:12 pm

Supposedly, Aspies don't have imagination. Here are a few things from my WP Scrapbook
that suggest otherwise.

Phssthpok
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jun 2007, 6:27 pm

From another thread...

Phssthpok wrote:
It doesn't really require a mental catalog of things to look for it actually works best when I'm not trying to imagine what a shape could be. When I look at some textures the patterns look like they are moving or even flowing along but if I focus on one point it doesn't actually move. Its hard to explain because its more like I have a perception of certain feature moving without them actually changing location in my field of view. The longer I do it the more I get into it and the larger and more intricate the pictures get.

I've noticed it with words too I may notice a word or phrase an inordinate number of times. Right now it seems like I hear the word "sheffield" far to often.

I think this may be normal but I can tell when a computer is stuck by listening to the hard drive it's very obvious to me when the same pattern of clicks happens over and over but no one else seems to be able to tell maybe they do and don't mention it though.

agentcyclosarin
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 6:49 pm

Contently.
Psychical patterns, strips in curtains, the lines in old televisions, the blinds, the grains in wood, the patterns in the carpet, my bedsheets, my ceiling, the list goes on forever.

The white lining around the response box of this very forum.

mental patterns, rethinking things over and over, mentally patterning shapes, idea's, equations, once again.. list goes on forever.

analytical patterns,
How ____ connects to ____ which makes ___ go ___ and in response _____ does ___ which ends in ___ with the end of either _____, ____, or ______. You get the point I'm sure.

I often can't sleep because of it too, I'll be thinking too much about my future, courses I may take, or psychological problems and patterns, ect. I'm okay with visual patterns when I sleep now because I can't sleep unless its total darkness but I used to see patterns even in the shift of air from dust molecules, from cracks of light, ect which is funny because my eye site is horrible.

Quote:
I've noticed it with words too I may notice a word or phrase an inordinate number of times.

I take patterns from how people react online, and therefor 'predict' what they are thinking and feeling through previous analysis and stuff. I had one girl get angry at me because she's in a bachelor of arts program for english but also taking psychology classes and I as a highschool dropout succeeded her in both subjects. She called me an over observant twat or something of the like.

TheMaTrIx
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Jun 2007, 4:02 am

I see patterns in all things, but it usually doesn't disturb me in what I'm supposed to be doing.
I'm fairly chaotic in placing things on a desk initially, but somehow, after sitting behind that desk for a while, everything on it will be either organized in a way that makes sense to me (might still look messy to most people) or on top of each other (I build towers out of everything)

The thing I have the most trouble with in this type of respect is that when I see a machine, computer program, building, etc, I nearly immediately space out and start imagining a representation of it, simulating how it works in my mind, this includes seeing and hearing it work without having seen it in action in reality, this helps me in diagnosing computer problems regularly.

This has been a great help when I do this on demand, but during some periods of time I simply space out and imagine how things work during the most inappropriate times, once even doing it while I was crossing a street and saw a tractor pass with at the back one of those machines with which they plant potatoes, I was left standing in the middle of the road being honked at by everyone.

Fodderstompf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jun 2007, 4:03 am

Sopho wrote:
I have a thing about counting as well, so when I see a pattern, I start counting things in it etc. It can be quite tiring.

Ohh yes, I do that too. Also I tend to seek the middle of the pattern.

Basement
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jun 2007, 4:13 am

I can start playing with words in my head, counting the number of letters, vowels etc, other times it might be the number of bricks in a wall or tiles...that kinda thing.

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2007, 4:16 am

I love patterns and some of the music I like is because of the pattern in the sounds; I often don't notice the words.

I was really fed up to find one of my fave songs with really great patterned music had very ugly words.

a1kemi
Raven
Raven

04 Jun 2007, 4:25 am

I can see basic funny cartoon characters in random patterns on material surfaces like carpet or a wet shower curtain. I've never taken the initiative to draw them though.