Page 53 of 56 [ 890 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2020, 8:38 am

DeepHour wrote:
One recollection I have about the Obama presidency is that he seemed constantly to be voicing his support for 'our Middle Class'. Can't remember him ever referring to working class Americans. Maybe there was (is?) a pretence that everyone in the USA is 'middle class' if they're not part of the elite or the 'excluded' groups such as the homeless? It was very fashionable in the UK a few years ago for some politicians and social commentators to claim 'We're all middle class now'. Yeah, right.....

many working class aspire to middle-class status the world over. but in america, we're the only nation where large swaths of working class folks see themselves as "temporarily embarrassed millionaires" to quote from john steinbeck. that is the rot which is causing the lions' share of our political dysfunction, working class folk boostering for the upper class in the hope that if they kiss enough upper-middle class, they too will be inducted into their hallowed ranks.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2020, 9:01 am

Autostraddle has gone full on abolitionist and is telling people not to call the police if they're physically attacked but to work on being nice instead.

On an LGBT site.

People can get attacked for being minorities. Or just bullied. Or because they're physically weaker. It doesn't mean you're a 'bad person', that just sounds like advocating bullying & survival of the fittest.

Call the police if you're physically attacked.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2020, 9:09 am

I feel annoyance with people who expect to be taken seriously when they can't get their alleged "facts" straight, can't show the sources of their alleged "facts", and who use improper spelling, punctuation, and/or grammar when presenting those alleged "facts".

Oh, and I feel annoyance with people who object to the use of the Oxford Comma.

:D

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2020, 9:18 am

The Daily Telegraph is one of the UK's three 'quality' newspapers, but it's quite staggering to see the number of people in its comments section who don't know the difference between 'there' and 'their', 'were' and 'where', 'lose' and 'loose' to give but a handful of examples.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2020, 9:24 am

DeepHour wrote:
The Daily Telegraph is one of the UK's three 'quality' newspapers, but it's quite staggering to see the number of people in its comments section who don't know the difference between 'there' and 'their', 'were' and 'where', 'lose' and 'loose' to give but a handful of examples.
• "Devastate" (to destroy completely) and "Decimate" (to destroy only 1/10).

• "Home" and "Hone" -- To "home" in on something is to move directly toward it, while to "hone" something is to polish or sharpen it.  "He honed in on the target" grates on my nerves like fingernails on a blackboard.

• "Bummer to bummer" -- I don't know if the traffic reporter is this stupid or she's just trying to be cute, but the correct term is "Bumper-to-bumper".

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2020, 10:12 am

Politics.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2020, 10:16 am

^^^2nded.

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2020, 10:36 am

Fnord wrote:
"Devastate" (to destroy completely) and "Decimate" (to destroy only 1/10).

Regarding the Incorrect Use of 'Decimate' (Merriam-Webster)

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2020, 10:41 am

auntblabby wrote:
^^^2nded.

Thirded.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2020, 10:41 am

I'm annoyed that members are insulting one another with words like "stupid, ignorant, Nazi", or making condescending posts to criticise other members' spelling, punctuation, or grammar. This is a support site, not one for belittling members with sweeping, overgeneralised presumptions about their character, their education, their political affiliation, or their support for genocide, murder, and hate crime.

Last I checked none of us condoned violence or racism, and we were free to disagree with others without gaslighting them ... or promoting ourselves as superior.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2020, 10:46 am

^^^ HERE HERE!! :wtg:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2020, 10:48 am

Syd wrote:
Fnord wrote:
"Devastate" (to destroy completely) and "Decimate" (to destroy only 1/10).
Regarding the Incorrect Use of 'Decimate' (Merriam-Webster)
This is one of the few times (perhaps the only time) that I disagree with the editorial staff of Merriam-Webster.  Decimate means to kill every tenth soldier and, by simple extension, to destroy only one-tenth of an item, location, or system.  Replacing "Devastate" with "Decimate" shows a distinct lack of knowledge or concern regarding the historical differences between these two words, so when a journalist misuses "Decimate", it is an accurate indication that he or she lacks journalistic depth and understanding, and will likely misuse other words and phrases, as well (i.e., "hone in" instead of "home in", et cetera).

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2020, 3:12 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I'm annoyed that members are insulting one another with words like "stupid, ignorant, Nazi", or making condescending posts to criticise other members' spelling, punctuation, or grammar. This is a support site, not one for belittling members with sweeping, overgeneralised presumptions about their character, their education, their political affiliation, or their support for genocide, murder, and hate crime.

Last I checked none of us condoned violence or racism, and we were free to disagree with others without gaslighting them ... or promoting ourselves as superior.

Seconded.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2020, 7:10 pm

The desktop computer that I often use to be here on Wrong Planet
sometimes crashing when I least expect it. :x

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2020, 12:44 am

sounds like windows 10 to me. :| a rule of thumb is that if the thing is running longer than 12 hours of steady work, you're running on fumes in terms of the exhaustion of system resources.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2020, 5:44 am

Someone on twitter (pretty sure a teenager) deliberately twisted what I said to make me look racist or for a joke.