A meetup group seems like a good idea

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Clakker
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Nov 2017, 7:25 pm

Zed90230 wrote:
I did a search on meetup dot com for aspie dating groups, and guess what, there are none. I sense an opportunity.

I think there's a general consensus that online dating is dying because there are just too many ways that dishonest and insincere people can join those sites and mess around, so a meetup group is the answer for those of us who are more serious. Many of the sites themselves are dishonest.

Unlike online dating sites, meetup groups don't have to worry much about trolls showing up in person, because trolls don't like getting beaten up any more than the rest of us do.

A nice perk about forming an aspies' meetup group is that we wouldn't have to deal with NTs' silly guessing games, deciphering their nonverbal flirt cues, or decoding their roundabout lingo. We could just say outright to that guy or girl that we think they're attractive.

And we wouldn't have to worry about Big Dating Corp elbowing their way in to swallow our group up, because NTs think of us as "defective goods"... to them, taking over our meetup group would be like trying to annex a leper colony. Being marginal CAN have its advantages.

I'd be willing to start such a group and host it myself.

I had a similar idea and even thought of a catchy name for an ASD social networking group.
Off World MeetUp, <YourCity> but I wasn't able to get it going. I paid MeetUp for one year and then cancelled the account. You're free to use the name if you want to.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2017, 7:33 pm

It takes more planning, but it is usually possible to come up with interesting hikes in urban areas. For instance, Boston has it's 2.5 mile Freedom Trail.

http://www.thefreedomtrail.org/

A fall hike at just the right time in my neighborhood could showcase trees with unusually beautiful fall foliage. In the Spring, there are flowering trees that put on quite a show, though not every year.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2017, 7:34 pm

nick007 wrote:
Sabreclaw wrote:
An aspie dating group would be dominated by men, which would make it a waste of time for the men and put a lot of attention on the women which could easily make them uncomfortable, so it'll suck for everyone. Better off just doing a casual meetup than a dating-oriented one.
Aspergers is diagnosed 4x more in men than women, Some Aspie women have an easier time with dating NT guys than Aspie guys dating NT women, & also from what I've seen on this forum there's plenty of Aspie women who have a negative opinion of Aspie guys & would rather be alone than date one.

Jeez Louise. That's terrible. I'm way too old to do the dating thing now, but I always went for geeky guys - like a magnet. I had two really serious long term relationships and I'm certain that, both times, we were both HFA. Couldn't communicate otherwise!

Good luck. If something starts up that isn't necessarily date-focused in my vicinity, I'd try to join in.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!