Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

FiS
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Nov 2017, 8:39 am

Hi Everyone.

I'm not actually new here. I first came on WP back in 2011, a while after it had first occurred to me that I might be on the spectrum. It's been a journey of twists and turns, stops and starts since then, but a couple of weeks ago I finally got my diagnosis - DSM V - ASD.

I feel relieved to finally have a diagnosis, and that is the sense in which I mean 'mystery solved'. I don't think the NT world is going to stop being a mystery any time soon, but at least I am learning a new vocabulary to deal with that, and I hope I'll be able to advocate for myself better. I keep working on self-care.

I'm a woman in my 40s, and I live in the North West of England (UK). I work part-time, and volunteer with environmental and wildlife related causes. I like being out in nature, and being at home, where I read, cook (when I can get my energy together), and watch the sky from the window.

It feels good to say "I am autistic" after all this time, and I'm looking forward to joining in with discussions on here.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 8:59 am

Hello from Lincolnshire

I had my assessment about three months back. It was as if I had been wearing my hoodie back to front for 42 years and now I'm like Ahh! this way way round, yes much easier without that bit covering my face. Did that make any sense?
Even if it didn't welcome :D

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Nov 2017, 9:32 am

Welcome to the "real world"!
Finally, right?
I'm new to the diagnosis too, and it feels like I've been handed my manual.
Your hoodie-analogy makes a lot of sense to me Fluffysaurus. Although, literally as I take it, I relate that to how my life got easier by learning that I should really wear a hoodie more often. :P

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 10:11 am

Welcome from t'other side o'Pennines in sunny (I wish) Yorkshire, and a fellow nature lover and sky-watcher!
Glad that your diagnosis has given you some relief. Getting mine a couple of years ago has helped me to find better compromises with the non-autistic world, and has allowed me to properly immerse myself in places like this now that I don't worry that my ASD might just be a delusion. Hope you find the same.
Look forward to seeing you around.

fluffysaurus wrote:
It was as if I had been wearing my hoodie back to front

I'm afraid I might just have to steal that metaphor! :wink:

FiS
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Nov 2017, 11:52 am

fluffysaurus wrote:
Hello from Lincolnshire

I had my assessment about three months back. It was as if I had been wearing my hoodie back to front for 42 years and now I'm like Ahh! this way way round, yes much easier without that bit covering my face. Did that make any sense?
Even if it didn't welcome :D

Thanks for the welcome, and yes, that image of the back to front hoodie makes a lot sense. Think I'm going to treat myself to a couple of new hoodies now I know there's a special reason I like their softness around my head.

FiS
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Nov 2017, 11:54 am

Embla wrote:
Welcome to the "real world"!
Finally, right?
I'm new to the diagnosis too, and it feels like I've been handed my manual.
Your hoodie-analogy makes a lot of sense to me Fluffysaurus. Although, literally as I take it, I relate that to how my life got easier by learning that I should really wear a hoodie more often. :P

Yes! Finally! :lol: Thanks for the welcome.

FiS
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Nov 2017, 11:57 am

Trogluddite wrote:
Welcome from t'other side o'Pennines in sunny (I wish) Yorkshire, and a fellow nature lover and sky-watcher!
Glad that your diagnosis has given you some relief. Getting mine a couple of years ago has helped me to find better compromises with the non-autistic world, and has allowed me to properly immerse myself in places like this now that I don't worry that my ASD might just be a delusion. Hope you find the same.
Look forward to seeing you around.

fluffysaurus wrote:
It was as if I had been wearing my hoodie back to front

I'm afraid I might just have to steal that metaphor! :wink:

Ey up! Grey over here on the Red Rose side as well. It's good to hear that diagnosis has helped. I think something I'm hoping for is 'a better compromise with the non-autistic world'. Thanks for the welcome.

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2017, 4:15 am

FiS wrote:
Hi Everyone.

I'm not actually new here. I first came on WP back in 2011, a while after it had first occurred to me that I might be on the spectrum. It's been a journey of twists and turns, stops and starts since then, but a couple of weeks ago I finally got my diagnosis - DSM V - ASD.

I feel relieved to finally have a diagnosis, and that is the sense in which I mean 'mystery solved'. I don't think the NT world is going to stop being a mystery any time soon, but at least I am learning a new vocabulary to deal with that, and I hope I'll be able to advocate for myself better. I keep working on self-care.

I'm a woman in my 40s, and I live in the North West of England (UK). I work part-time, and volunteer with environmental and wildlife related causes. I like being out in nature, and being at home, where I read, cook (when I can get my energy together), and watch the sky from the window.

It feels good to say "I am autistic" after all this time, and I'm looking forward to joining in with discussions on here.

Well hello there Milady!

Welcome back to Wrong Planet and it's good that you're here again. I joined only a few months ago after receiving my DSM 5 ASD diagnosis. Or as my therapist likes to say more simply, Severe High-Functioning Asperger's Syndrome.

And although I was born in Alberta, Canada, my mother was born in Watford, England on May 7th 1936 and came to Canada in '39 as World War II broke out with all the rest of the women and children.

Yes it does feel good to say "I am Autistic" doesn't it? As if some kind of massive weight has suddenly been lifted from us? I would definitely have to agree with you there. It definitely relieves a great deal of stress and anxiety for me not to have to hide anymore that's for sure.

I hope you stick around! :D

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

LostGirI
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Nov 2017, 6:46 pm

Hello there,

I'm also in NW England. I'm glad your mystery has been solved. I only got diagnosed in the summer and I too felt a sense of relief.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 1:31 pm

Welcome back to Wrong Planet! :)

FiS
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Nov 2017, 5:20 pm

Thank you for the welcome everyone.

Yes, it will be good not to hide anymore, and I am in the process of working out what that means for me. I feel lucky to be having some post-diagnosis counselling.

Anxiety and depression have also been a feature of my journey, and are well-managed at present through a medication which works. I do wonder if getting to know myself again might help with that, but I'm not in a hurry to try coming off the first SSRI which has really felt like it works with me.

Yes, I'll be sticking around - am already finding so many threads relevant.

LostGirI
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Nov 2017, 5:41 pm

FiS wrote:
Thank you for the welcome everyone.

Yes, it will be good not to hide anymore, and I am in the process of working out what that means for me. I feel lucky to be having some post-diagnosis counselling.

Anxiety and depression have also been a feature of my journey, and are well-managed at present through a medication which works. I do wonder if getting to know myself again might help with that, but I'm not in a hurry to try coming off the first SSRI which has really felt like it works with me.

Yes, I'll be sticking around - am already finding so many threads relevant.

I've not been lucky enough to find medication that helps me yet. What is your medication if you don't mind me asking?