Sensitive to heat and under sensitive to cold?

Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2017, 6:04 am

My case is also the inversed: Very sensitive to cold, and very accustomed to warm temperatures.

:| Not because from where I live. Natives here tend to like the cold and do not like the heat. I couldn't. They'd be smiling while I shiver at 27 C and colder -- while they're fanning and sweating, I'd be just 'meh' at 34 Cs and hotter. :lol: The usual temperatures are 36+ Cs at summer times, 26- Cs during windy and stormy seasons.

Cold temperature is my sensory sensitivity major offender -- still second from sensory processing that interferes with working/short term memory.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 5:14 am

^ Are you not a native? I thought you were a genuine pinay.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 6:21 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
^ Are you not a native? I thought you were a genuine pinay.

I'm a native. :lol: Who had been born and never left the country.
My temperature preferences from the rest is just different in reasons more ways than one. :| Filipinos likes the cold, to the point they'd underestimate the climate of winter. Me? I'd overestimate it.

It didn't helped that cold temperatures is the closest main sensory trigger I have, ASD wise.
Also it didn't helped that cold temperatures is also one of my nonallergic triggers of chronic sinusitis.
And, biological wise, I'm mainly vulnerable when I'm cold -- easily get sick, lower energy levels, etc. Worse, any form of desensitization from cold easily deconditions in my case -- meaning, I could never get close even just to 'get used' to the sensation of cold. :(

One overseas friend of mine joked that I'm banned from any northern country because I couldn't stand cold. :lol:

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

sunshinescj
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Nov 2017, 2:30 pm

I'm the opposite as well super sensitive to cold and can tolerate relatively intense heat. It's weird though, as a kid, I remember people always asking if I was cold or hot because I didn't really react to either normally.

nephets
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Nov 2017, 3:27 pm

I also cannot do heat and am always warm. It has to be really cold before I notice. In fact I don't mind being cold, although this doesn't often happen.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 3:42 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I'm the opposite. I'm too sensitive to the cold and I don't feel the heat so much.

During a heatwave, I get hot but I can bear it and function normally, as long as I've got a drink handy. One time I walked 3 miles on a very hot day, and I was hot and quite sweaty but I coped, and as soon as I got indoors I cooled down.

Cold temperatures are horrible. To me, the cold physically hurts, and no matter how wrapped up I am, it still takes me a while to feel warm. Plus my sinuses don't like cold air.

Me too - except I'm overly sensitive to humidity too, which usually comes with heat where I live. I hate feeling even remotely damp, like from humidity or sweat, but I'm oftentimes perfectly fine when other people are complaining about the heat. Cold causes me physical pain as well, and I too have a hard time warming up afterward.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2017, 6:41 pm

It seems that I don’t really feel heat OR cold that much. Everyone would be complaining about how hot or cold it is, and I would think, what are they complaining about? And then later I would notice that I’m sweating, or my fingers are colder than a metal chair.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2017, 10:10 am

I very sensitive to cold from the outside and heat from the inside.

I usually wear a lot of layers of clothes and take them off just to wear them again 2 minutes later. My friends laugh at me because my walks in 1-23*C are like this:
"Ughh, it's cold" (covers in a huge scarf, hugs the friend)... "It gotten hot." (moves away, takes of hat and gloves, unzips jacket)... "Actually it's cold again" (covers in whatever was taken off before)... "Actually it's hot" (takes off jacket to take off a sweater and puts on the jacket again, on bare arms), "Cold again" (takes off jacket, puts sweater, hat, scarf and gloves on)...

I am only fine when there is less than 0*C (it's easier to maintain body temperature and I don't need so many layers in minus temperatures, when air humidity is low and under 0*C water just freezes up, without sinking into clothes) and more than 24*C (so I don't need to cover myself with so many clothes - but I keep a light blouse nearby anyway, just in case I get cold).

Another problem starts when there is less than -15*C and my face freezes and more than 35*C when my clothes get soaked in hot sweat.

However I am more sensitive to cold than the heat. If I get to hot from the inside heat I can take off some clothes and I am fine, at least for the few minutes before I get cold again. :D
But if I am too cold there is not much I can do (assuming I didn't bring enough layers or they got all soaked from the humidity already). Therefore cold sometimes leads me to sensory meltdowns, which never happens with any heat.

BTW. I envy those of you who have warm winters (+15*C in winter? We often still get it in middle of May, late spring! And sometimes summers are also that cold, if they happen to be rainy.)

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2017, 10:40 am

I'm over sensitive to cold and generally feel almost always cold. Used to be under sensitive to heat, until I moved to Czech Republic. When I get back to my hometown in Turkey during summers now I can't survive without the air conditioner anymore.

Roo95
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Dec 2017, 2:35 am

SaveFerris wrote:
Roo95 wrote:
At work all my colleagues call me stupid and crazy as even when it's snowing and icy I'll still be in a t shirt while everyone else is wearing coats and scarves.

Some guy shouted "You're going to die dressed like that" at me today as I was in a t shirt in the pouring rain.

I also don't fair well in the heat and appear to not feel the cold as much as others.

Haha what a thing to shout at someone. But I do think it may be dangerous as just because we don't feel cold it dosent mean that were not. I have never gotten ill from wearing a t shirt in cold but I'm shure it's a possibility when it gets right into winter. My parents did tell me its dangerous as I Might not know that hypothermia or whatever else is setting in

Roo95
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Dec 2017, 2:39 am

komamanga wrote:
I'm over sensitive to cold and generally feel almost always cold. Used to be under sensitive to heat, until I moved to Czech Republic. When I get back to my hometown in Turkey during summers now I can't survive without the air conditioner anymore.

I would be the same as you in a country like turkey. I have been there many times on family holidays to manavgat. Beautiful country but it was between 38 and 40 degrees. Even summers here in UK when it only gets up to 30 degrees is too hot for me

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2017, 3:51 am

Roo95 wrote:
Hello. Does anyone else have this problem too? I know many aspies do have sensory issues but I don't hear mutch about people that have issues with temperature and not shure if it's common or not.

This is an extreme problem for me as well. I can tolerate cold temperatures up to -45 Celsius but if it goes one degree above +20 Celsius than I'm a very irritable, cranky, I can't sleep, I sweat profusely and I get headaches.

Perhaps this is simply a matter of being acclimatized to very cold and snowy Canadian winters of which we are known for far and wide (besides hockey and Tim Hortons). But I would be willing to entertain the fact that Autism has something to do with it as well because as we all know the sensitivity of our senses is cranked up far too high for most of us to handle most of the time.

I think there is merit to the argument that temperature as well as sight, sound and touch are typical Autistic sensory issues that many of us have to deal with.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2017, 3:55 am

Roo95 wrote:
komamanga wrote:

I would be the same as you in a country like turkey. I have been there many times on family holidays to manavgat. Beautiful country but it was between 38 and 40 degrees. Even summers here in UK when it only gets up to 30 degrees is too hot for me

Yes, I'm from Izmir which is also one of the hottest cities there. I've seen even up to 48 degrees. It was living hell. But when I was a kid hot weather didn't bother me at all.

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2017, 8:24 am

I’m sensitive to both...most of the time. I tried the cold shower challenge for 5 days, and all of a sudden I was taking walks outside in 28 degree Fahrenheit weather and not batting an eyelash. Didn’t last long though. I like it to be sunny and perfect outside, not too hot, not too cold.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2017, 8:34 am

Sensitive to heat and under sensitive to cold described me well up to some years ago (except for my toes, that would too easily be cold). Now I start to feel the cold more too.

Temperature has always be the only sensory issue I have suffered. It wasn't until recently I understood that this too actually belonged to the category sensory issues. I thought I didn't really have any since I don't care about lights and only dislike the sounds of things I don't like psychologically. My food issues are mild and only temporary, I'm not suffering them the moment I don't have to eat the problem foods, so I thought mine were extremely mild or close to nonexistent until I realized that temperature was also a sensory issue.

I have always suffered heat, and my view of heat is colder temperatures than most people like. It makes me cranky and lethargic. I hate being sweaty.

But over the last years I have started suffering the cold too. Right now I'm sitting here wearing warm slippers and a fleece jacket, and still I am too cold. Maybe I'll put on some delicious hot cocoa (the only warm drink I like, and only when I'm cold).

Perfect indoors temperature for me when sitting still much of the time is 21 C. 20 is less makes my toes and fingers cold, above 22 makes me uncomfortably warm.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2017, 8:44 am

As an infant, I liked my bath water far cooler than mother expected, but more recently I had trouble with running it too hot. I didn't like heat until I had to help with the haying one year, and learned to sweat, and drink lots. My sister still can't handle heat, and never sweats.

When Magellan discovered Tierra del Fuego, his men were huddled around big campfires. The natives were farther back, almost naked, and wary of the heat. Similarly, the Tasmanians had forgotten how to make warm clothing after their land was cut off. It sounds as if your body is extremely cold-adapted, but unable to re-set. Do you eat a lot and still stay thin? Massage from a real healer might help.