Sensitive to heat and under sensitive to cold?

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Roo95
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Nov 2017, 10:15 am

Hello. Does anyone else have this problem too? I know many aspies do have sensory issues but I don't hear mutch about people that have issues with temperature and not shure if it's common or not.
I am extremely sensitive to heat and under sensitive to cold temperature. I do get cold but it takes alot, and even then i can still put up with it easy. I wear a t shirt all year round, even in winter when it's -10 and im fine walking round outside like that. When I was younger, I would argue with my parents when I was going out in winter because I'd refuse to wear a coat which they thought its dangerous not to. At work all my colleagues call me stupid and crazy as even when it's snowing and icy I'll still be in a t shirt while everyone else is wearing coats and scarves. Only part of me that gets really cold are my fingers. They say they feel cold looking at me in my t shirt. I often joke around with my friends and call them p*****s when were out and they are wearing coats and gloves.

My heat sensitivity has caused me many issues throughout my life. Going on family holidays to hot countries like Turkey and the USA was never easy and only bearable as long as there was a pool to cool off in. I have severe issues in winter as everywhere I go, heating is on. At work, in the warehouse I work in, the heating is turned on and even then everyone is still wearing coats indoors and they are fine, and im there in my t shirt struggling to work because it's way too hot for me and even then people ask me how I'm still not cold. Shopping becomes unbearable also when they have heating. Everyone else I know copes fine with the heat and they like it but it's unbearable to me.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 10:38 am

I'm the opposite. I'm too sensitive to the cold and I don't feel the heat so much.

During a heatwave, I get hot but I can bear it and function normally, as long as I've got a drink handy. One time I walked 3 miles on a very hot day, and I was hot and quite sweaty but I coped, and as soon as I got indoors I cooled down.

Cold temperatures are horrible. To me, the cold physically hurts, and no matter how wrapped up I am, it still takes me a while to feel warm. Plus my sinuses don't like cold air.

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Nov 2017, 10:41 am

I have huge problems with heat. There's always a week or two in the summer when it goes up to 25-30 degrees, and while everyone else loves it, I just don't know what to do with myself. It's like I stop functioning completely. I can only be active in the middle of the night, but just barely since I'm sleep deprived, because I can't sleep when it's hot and bright. I pretty much spend those summer weeks laying down. Unless I need to go to work of course, and when I do, it's not pretty. A few times I've just spent the whole day crying.
And yeah, going into a hot place when it's cold outside really messes me up. I always get funny looks when I start undressing for a five-minute bus ride.

I think I used to be less sensitive to cold, but that went away. I'm not sure about that. It might just be because I'm used to living in places without heating. Since I moved to Denmark I get cold more often, even though it's actually a bit hotter here than where I came from. I think it's because it's a more humid climate.

I prefer cold over heat any day. Because you can always put more clothes on, but the amount you can take off is limited.

Last edited by Embla on 22 Nov 2017, 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 10:44 am

I can do okay in the heat...but I get irritable, and have trouble sleeping.

I was quite sensitive to cold as a kid, and am getting more sensitive as I get older.

Sabetheli
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Nov 2017, 11:42 am

I am opposite as well. Cold is painful and shuts me right down. On the other hand, when I shower I only use the hot water, no cold. I like the feeling of the little heat prickles on my skin. I have to shower before bed in order to raise my temperature enough to sleep. I wear a hoodie all year round, even in the summer (I feel naked without it).

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 11:47 am

Although I prefer being hot, I still cannot sleep unless I'm cold or cool. Even on a hot summer night, if my body temperature cools down it means I will sleep well, and on a cold winters night I know I won't sleep well if I am hot before bed.

ScarletIbis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Nov 2017, 12:04 pm

I am also opposite. I am usually sensitive to the cold and I can handle the heat very well. I wear jeans all year around even through the 9 months of summer where I live (that is just a joke that goes around with the locals, we say that because it still gets to like 30 degrees (86) in October). Most of the time everyone is wearing athletic shorts up to Halloween and even occasionally afterwards. I wear jeans even when it is 40 degrees (104) outside, and I only get mildly bothered by the heat. I have been super sensitive to cold since I was a born (according to my parents) and I had to be kept warm a lot. I too get comments about my lack of sensitivity to my local extreme of temperature. I NEVER wear shorts, ever (but this isn’t because I am cold)

Feel free to message me if you want

Please understand that everything I write should be read with a grain of salt because I frequently adjust my views based on new information (just read a description of INTP that should explain better than I)

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 1:23 pm

I'm the same way, Roo95. I will often go out without a coat in the snow or in a light jacket when the temperatures are below freezing. In the summer, I put the AC in my room up really high and will barely go outside, unless it is to go swimming :lol:

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 1:41 pm

I burn up very easily. I love sunshine, but anything much over 20C and I just flake out - no sleep, no energy, no concentration, and usually very restless and agitated.

I'm not quite "t-shirt in the snow" hardy, but I tolerate the cold easily. I seem to generate a lot of body-heat from the slightest exercise, so if I go out in winter gear, I'm sweating by the time I get to the end of the street.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 1:42 pm

I'm hardly ever comfortable with the temperature, it's either too hot, too cold, or both. Nearest to ideal is about 22C if there are no draughts, 24C if there's air conditioning moving the air around the room. If I had to choose between being too hot and too cold, it would be a close call but I'd rather be a tad chilly than feel overheated. I hate it when my hands and feet feel cold, I'm even reluctant to approach the frozen food section in the supermarket because of the sensation on the back of my hands. But the sensations of overheating feel worse, it's like nausea, and I can't sleep that way. If I'm cold I can just get an extra blanket.

Reducto
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Nov 2017, 5:04 pm

I'm the same way. I like it much colder than most people. Above 75 degrees F I sweat, get irritable, and cannot concentrate. It's 80-85 right now where I am in Florida and my co-workers are all talking about how great the weather is and how they want to go to the beach. I just want to stay in a nice dark air conditioned room.

I don't know if Autism has anything to do with it, maybe everyone has their own comfort zone and we just have a harder time tuning out the unpleasantness when we're outside that zone.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 5:15 pm

I'm pretty much the same. I hate 40 degree days. Even 30 degree days are hard for me.

In winter I wear a t-shirt and listen to everyone complain about how cold it is. I say to them, "it doesn't get cold in Australia, try going to Northern Europe or Wisconsin and then you'll know what cold is". They don't listen.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 5:18 pm

Adelaide is usually about 15 Celsius for a maximum in winter, anyway, I believe. I suppose 7 Celsius at night could be considered "cool." I'd take that winter climate any day!

I'd go out in short-sleeves if it was 15 Celsius.

It rarely gets to 15 Celsius from about late November to early March here in NYC.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 5:21 pm

I know right? I don't get how people can be wearing 5 layers and still say they're too cold when it's 15 degrees. I would only expect that if it was minus 15 degrees.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 5:24 pm

I guess it's a matter of acclimation.

When it went down to 21 Celsius for a maximum in Jamaica one year, people were wearing wool hats LOL. The minimum was about 18 that day. That made front page news there.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 8:23 pm

Roo95 wrote:
At work all my colleagues call me stupid and crazy as even when it's snowing and icy I'll still be in a t shirt while everyone else is wearing coats and scarves.

Some guy shouted "You're going to die dressed like that" at me today as I was in a t shirt in the pouring rain.

I also don't fair well in the heat and appear to not feel the cold as much as others.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard