Page 4 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2017, 8:37 pm

Muggsy Bogues is 5 foot 3. And he had a long career in the NBA.

But....most players in the NBA are over 6 feet tall.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 9:05 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Muggsy Bogues is 5 foot 3. And he had a long career in the NBA.

But....most players in the NBA are over 6 feet tall.

I stand by what I say. That's awesome that Muggsy accomplished this but for every Muggsy how many of those who could not accomplish it who are his height. Like you said most players are over 6 feet tall. So, why would I go for something that in which the probability is high I won't achieve it. Wouldn't my energy be better spent elsewhere?

What this as*hole of a man is doing is deceiving his son by omission. He is not letting him fully understand who he is and letting him fully understand the world around him so his son can make an informed decision regarding his own future. Just so he doesn't constrain himself and just so he can beat the odds. So, he's going to keep him in this candyland version of reality in which everything is sanitized and bubble wrapped and be forced to go to these differing appointments without fully understanding why he's going.

No wonder he is extremely mouthy. I'd be mouthy as well.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 11:54 am

I'd have to "be there."

If I had a kid, I wouldn't set unrealistic expectations. If anything, I'd probably be too mellow about the kid's future. I'd think: "whatever makes him/her happy."

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 7:07 pm

cvam wrote:
The idea is not to keep the diagnosis from him forever, just like you don't discuss the birds and bees with an 8 year old NT kid, you don't want to burden the kid with a diagnosis that doesn't really have a cure. No one likes to think of themselves as different, there are some on the spectrum who want to be a part of social groups, just like some of them might want to be left alone with their interests.

If I were to venture a guess, my 12 year old has the emotional maturity of a 8 - 9 year old. I want to talk to him about this when I feel he has the ability to disassociate the diagnosis from how he feels about it.

This has probably all been addressed in the pages of posts I have not read yet, but:

The problem is he already knows he is different and in his own head he developing theories for it. Theories that are wrong and that are getting more and more cemented in his mind with every passing day. The longer you wait, the harder it will be to break the destructive assumptions.

It isn't hard to explain. You just say, "your brain works different" and that it isn't better or worse, just different.

I told my son was he was 7 with the emotional maturity of a 5 year old. It was a relief to him, and it allowed us to tackle strategies in an honest and effective manner.

Honesty and directness are very important to ASD children. He knows you are holding out on him and it is eroding his trust in you. We ask our kids to tackle all sorts of difficult and unpleasant tasks in the hopes of making their future brighter, and in order for them to stay devoted to the process they need to trust that what we are asking really is necessary. In case you haven't noticed, "because I said so" or "I'm the parent and know better" doesn't work very well with most ASD kids.

Next item.

It sounds to me like he is either disgraphic, hypermobile, or both. My son has these, and my short description is that his hands do not work properly. While it is a loss, knowing the problem helps him find work-arounds, like keyboarding. We were able to get a keyboard accommodation for his SATs, as well. Please look into this for OT on the issue could be helpful.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 7:17 pm

cvam wrote:
Again, I am not trying to fix/convert my aspie into NT. I know that he will always lack in empathy, dexterity, volume modulation and other physical skills. I want him to be the best he can and pursue his interests like science etc without his quirks hampering him too much.

trust me, there are a lot of things NTs want to do but will not do, even if it causes us discomfort. we learn what not do do by practice and observation of our surroundings. 80% of our day is routine, stuff that some aspies can learn to do, albeit with more effort and time.

If his quirks get in the way of his dreams, is it my job as a parent who has the diagnosis to:

1> Not get in the way of his quirks, because I know it helps him better deal with all the environmental stimulus.

2> Try and lessen the obviousness of his quirks so that he can achieve what he aspires to do, aspirations that he voices very openly and vocally.

as an NT, I see myself doing option 2, which is hard on both of us. since there is dearth of data and since the spectrum is so broad, I am not sure that option 1, even if recommended by other adult aspies, is the way to go..

I'd love to hear from high functioning aspie adults and parents of high functioning aspies as to what works best for my concerns:

leave him be and let him figure stuff out

offer 1 -2 hours per day therapy to help him deal better with the world around him.

As the parent to a high functioning Aspie who is now 20 and completely integrated into a version of "normal" life (college, work, girl friend, etc; actually living abroad fully on his own right now) I would suggest you discuss these options with your son.

One thing I know about mine: if he hasn't bought into a goal, it isn't going to happen. He needs to know why he has to learn something, exactly how learning it will help him achieve his goals, and exactly how the process being offered will help. I still remember him trying to talk me out of why he needed to learn to read; we fought that battle off and on for months. Nearly every milestone was like that: taking months for him to realize his crazy work-around ideas weren't really going to cut it. That was part of his process. Once he buys in you could not imagine a harder worker, but he has to buy in.

If your child is anything like mine, you MUST make him a partner in all decisions affecting his life. He needs to develop trust that you understand him as he is, and that you know what he can (and cannot) accomplish, so that when the going is tough and he wants to give up, he will believe you when you say, "it's important and I know you can do it." Sometimes you will need to slow things down and give him a break. Sometimes he will magically be ready for a skill you thought might never happen. This is heads down, focus on your child, KNOW your child, and COMMUNICATE with your child work.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 7:35 pm

cvam wrote:
Thanks all for the great inputs/ advise

One of those who responded was saying that aspie quirks don't need fixing, the focus should be on nurturing/improving the strengths that your aspie has.

This is more complex, as your aspie grows up, he is aware that he is different, he is not necessarily aware that his quirks are listed in the DSM. My aspie thinks of himself as "science boy", though I think his approach to things fit a legal career more. He loves to talk politics, public policy etc. his positions are based on rules and order, so his opinions skew right, which is fine with me, even though I am more left leaning.

I don't think talking about a diagnosis/ label is helpful at this point, since he thinks of himself as different, and labels classify people into "good" different vs "bad" different. I point out areas that need work, so that it helps him in his goal of being "science man" . We talk of Tesla vs Edison, and how soft skills sometimes trumps raw genius, to further my point regarding team work, empathy, social skills, manners etc.

My big failing is maintaining my cool. He does not assess risk well. that means jumping around playing Thor/optimus inside the house, where he could potentially hurt himself/ others. this leads me to call him names. We do have a lot of talks regarding safety/ consequences etc. He is also getting mouthy, like other pre teen NTs, but he obviously has no sense of hierarchy, which triggers a response from me, after a while of him yelling at me.

My observation is that it takes consistency over a long period of time, 6 months to a year, before you see a change in 1 unwanted behavior. Maintaining patience over such a long period is tough..

So, if anyone has a shortcut/trick to making an aspie GET your point of view , that would be great to know..

Nope, sorry, no short cuts.

But you can give yourself a break or a class of wine or a regular massage or whatever it takes to disassociate enough to be able to keep your cool.

Reminding yourself that it will all pay off someday helps, too. Remember what you are being patient FOR. Gosh it was great when I realized one day we were through the worst of it and my son really was going to be OK!

Before that it was nearly every minute of every day focusing on his needs and how the heck to help him understand what I needed him to understand.

You are right, you do have to keep your cool.

I also encourage you to reconsider how you have your home set up. ASD boys need to MOVE and pace and stim, etc to self-calm. My son was always wrapped into some fantasy world and talking to some imaginary mate while he was "pacing." Once I figured out that he NEEDED to do this and that he had far fewer melt-downs if I didn't try to reign it in, we were all happier. I got rid of everything breakable or dangerous and just let him do what he was going to do, up and over the furniture and everything. Many ASD families do the same. It will lower your blood pressure. Seriously. You can get new furniture in 5 years; its cheaper than therapy.

I continue to encourage you to re-think sharing the diagnosis. If he is a science kid, he will "get" it. It seriously will explain so much.

My son leaned communist at that age, btw; part of the rigid, locked in thinking. Thankfully that particular world view didn't stick.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 7:46 pm

eikonabridge wrote:
A few days ago my daughter watched a video on YouTube where autism was listed as a mental illness. She thought that it was funny. I did not pay much attention to it. It was only yesterday that she asked me in a more puzzled tone: "Why is autism a mental illness?"

I am just wondering, how other parents address that question?

I mean, if you Google on Internet on parents that have talked about autism to their children, they'll mentioned things like Albert Einstein and paint a picture that autism is not a bad thing. Yet at the same time these parents do agree that autism is a mental illness. (And some parents would describe how they felt an urge to cry when they had to tell their children about autism.) So, they are basically telling their children: "You are defective, but it's not too bad."

Huh?

I don't know what other people tell their children. I had zero problem telling everything to my daughter. I mean, come on. She is fully developed and fully successful. So am I. So, if you tell me that autism is a mental illness, I think you are out of your mind. It's no surprise that she thought it was a joke. I still think it is a joke.

So I told her: I don't think it is a mental illness. I reminded her about the letter I wrote to her on her 8th birthday, where I mentioned many people out there don't understand autism. I told her, some children are lucky, like you and your brother, because your Daddy understands you guys. Other children are not lucky, because their parents and and their teachers don't understand autism, so those children never really get a chance to develop. That was all.

It's a mental difference, not illness. While society may like to pathologize differences, we don't have to. The ASD community is working to change the terminology and perception. That is what I told my child.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 11:52 am

^ Until I've done it my way and it's a disaster, I will not consider the alternatives. I think this is because the norm usually doesn't work for me. A problem just sits in front of me until I find my own way around it, usually my way works, weird, wonky, and time consuming, but works, sometimes it doesn't, but until I've tried it, I'm not trying anything else. :D Once I have done it my way and it hasn't worked I can completely focus on the alternatives.

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 7:21 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
I also encourage you to reconsider how you have your home set up. ASD boys need to MOVE and pace and stim, etc to self-calm. My son was always wrapped into some fantasy world and talking to some imaginary mate while he was "pacing." Once I figured out that he NEEDED to do this and that he had far fewer melt-downs if I didn't try to reign it in, we were all happier.

Yes, I totally agree. ASD boys need space. My son would pace for hours. We have a path in the garden that's about 15 meters long and he would pace up and down, up and down, over and over, having very animated conversations, complete with hand gestures and facial expressions, with an imaginary person. I worried when he left home that he wouldn't have a good pacing place but his apartment is next to a river with a walking path along it and with his earphones from his ipod, he looks like he is talking to someone hand free on a phone. Phew!
If he couldn't pace I think he would explode. I do not believe it's something he wants to do as much as he needs to. Finding a safe space for your son to work off the energy will help relax him.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 12:57 pm

bunnyb wrote:
Yes, I totally agree. ASD boys need space. My son would pace for hours. We have a path in the garden that's about 15 meters long and he would pace up and down, up and down, over and over, having very animated conversations, complete with hand gestures and facial expressions, with an imaginary person. I worried when he left home that he wouldn't have a good pacing place but his apartment is next to a river with a walking path along it and with his earphones from his ipod, he looks like he is talking to someone hand free on a phone. Phew!
If he couldn't pace I think he would explode. I do not believe it's something he wants to do as much as he needs to. Finding a safe space for your son to work off the energy will help relax him.
I used to do something similar at preschool. The outdoor playground had a small gazebo. I'd always sit there, pretending it's a secure bunker that no one can enter except me. As expected for an aspie kid, I paced back and forth in predetermined geometric patterns, and talked to myself, reciting poem-like stories about the bunker I was in. At times, kids tried to join me; a few even liked my "bunker" idea. Needless to say, that didn't get a good reaction out of me. After all, being alone in my bunker was the premise of my game.

Being an NT adult, the preschool teacher became "concerned", and told my parents. While they didn't punish me or even scold me, they did tell me to find other games to play. So I had to drop the gazebo-pacing. Well, not entirely; I still daydreamed the "bunker" stories in my head, although I lost interest over time. Lucky for me, I later found it within myself to join a few social games with other kids. I particularly liked role-playing games (imagine that!) where every player had a scripted role.

Last edited by Aspie1 on 07 Dec 2017, 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 1:16 pm

When i was 5 years old, I used to watch Romper Room.

Kids used to hop around with a horse-head stick.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 1:45 pm

^:D A hobby horse, I had one at home,. We weren't aloud to take things like that to school, prob for the best as I've never been a good sharer.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 2:29 pm

fluffysaurus wrote:
^:D A hobby horse, I had one at home,. We weren't aloud to take things like that to school, prob for the best as I've never been a good sharer.
My preschool had those. It was basically a plush horse's head on the end of a plastic rod. I saw kids playing with them, but I was never interested. The toy was too unrealistic for my tastes; I mean, you're still standing on your own feet, only holding a stick between your legs (that's what she said! :D). How's that like riding a horse? (Oh wait, I'm supposed to use my imagination. :)) If anything, I found mechanical riding horses to be more fun; at least I was actually riding something that looked like a real horse in its entirety.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2017, 6:48 am

Aspie1 wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:
My preschool had those. It was basically a plush horse's head on the end of a plastic rod. I saw kids playing with them, but I was never interested. The toy was too unrealistic for my tastes; I mean, you're still standing on your own feet, only holding a stick between your legs (that's what she said! :D). How's that like riding a horse? (Oh wait, I'm supposed to use my imagination. :)) If anything, I found mechanical riding horses to be more fun; at least I was actually riding something that looked like a real horse in its entirety.

I never got those either. Why would I run around with a depicted horse head? If I can imagine the body, I can imagine the head too. I preferred to ride a real horse.