What is so great about Trump and the Right?

Page 6 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Hyeokgeose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Dec 2017, 6:44 pm

GoSensGo wrote:
Left wing, right wing... both attached to the same sh***y bird.

Vote 3rd party.

Well, even despite that, there's some gems. I prefer to look at the character of individuals running, with some inclusion of their platform. For example, I looked at the candidates of the Libertarian Party, Grand Old Party, and Democrat, primaries. My favorite was Ben Carson because of his character -- even though I agreed most with Rand Paul in regards to policy. Carson: rags to riches, and a blessing of a human being. In my eyes, he would have destroyed every stereotype that the American left has set on Americans on the basis of their melanin. He just ended up being too soft-spoken, and too soft in general -- the media trampled him to death at the beginning, as they saw the threat he was. Oh, only if he had the strength that Trump has... yes, I will admit Trump has a lot of strength.

Aside from voting for the GOP in the 2016 presidential primaries, I voted for libertarian Stanton, albeit a clown, for senate.

"It’s not until they tell you you’re going to die soon that you realize how short life is. Time is the most valuable thing in life because it never comes back. And whether you spend it in the arms of a loved one or alone in a prison-cell, life is what you make of it. Dream big."
-Stefán Karl Stefánsson
10 July, 1975 - 21 August, 2018.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2017, 12:57 pm

ben carson seems to hate his own race, just like that other hypocrite on the supreme court. he is a retired neurosurgeon, and having worked in hospitals for most of my life, can tell you that neurosurgeons in general tend to be royal aholes.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2017, 11:40 am

auntblabby wrote:
ben carson seems to hate his own race, just like that other hypocrite on the supreme court. he is a retired neurosurgeon, and having worked in hospitals for most of my life, can tell you that neurosurgeons in general tend to be royal aholes.

He hates his own race? :roll:

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2017, 5:06 pm

^ I was tempted to say something as well but I couldn't think of an appropriate way in at it being that looks too hyperbolic to have even been meant seriously. Even if he meant them seriously I'm forced to just take it as an emotional rant and not argue with it.

If it were meant to be serious then things to unpack would include:
1) He's an Uncle Tom or race traitor for having graduated med school?
2) He's an Uncle Tom or race traitor to not have his entire read of politics be 90% social programs and maybe 10% anything else?

If that's how we're supposed to think of race and politics I'm afraid Richard Spencer would heartily condone that message. It's the 'problem' the Alt Right and white identitarians are here to remedy. I tend to just see it as a particular kind of problem that only certain kinds of people have and whether on the left or right they seem to have way more in common than they'd like to hear.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2017, 11:25 am

It's identitarians on both sides. They think people have to act a certain way based on their skin color.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2017, 1:11 pm

you both just don't get it, do you? it is plain the man is in favor of policies that would hurt a LOT of colored folk [opposition to affordable health care, opposition to affirmative action, opposition to laws restraining police brutality, et al].

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2017, 1:43 pm

You're right, I don't get it.

I think a more accurate description of the problem might involve evaluating his ideas and beliefs individually.

As for his personal character - I have a friend of the family who worked in the same hospital with him and no one she was aware of had a negative thing to say about his character. Really it was quite the contrary - ie. that he was quite well loved by the staff. Of course, then again, if most of those glowing reviews happen to be from white people loving a minstrel show we can maybe brush that under the carpet but regardless I'm not comfortable with people essentially labeling a person they politically disagree with a psychopath, sociopath, or just fundamentally inauthentic. These days as far as I can tell it's more than just just sloppy or ignorant, it's getting outright dangerous and to the extent that people are doing it on mass it's threatening the structure of our society. When I say structure I don't mean, or at least I don't 'think' I mean, institutional racism but rather being able to solve the real aches and pains that people are having without throwing the whole system up in the air, millions of people dead, and hoping that what regroups won't be a bloody tyranny.

My best advice perhaps - try watching how Bret Weinstein, Jonathan Haidt, or even Steven Pinker handle these issues.

As far as the political process goes in the US and across the west I'm really thinking there needs to be a standard working ethos and the end formation might be a better phrasing of the following:

Either practice Rapaport's Rules for constructive debate or be prepared to be treated like a non-participant until you're ready to update your public reasoning strategies to meet current cultural needs and requirements.

The main point of Rapaport - if you can't explain your opponents views either just as well as your opponent, or even with their admission that you phrased their point better than they could have, you end up assailing a straw man or some projected phantom or boogeyman of your creation. I see it all day on my Facebook friends list with Trump where enough of my witchy pagan friends keep showing cartoons with increasingly distorted pictures drawn of him and it's as spooky as if he were a nightmare mirror to their own souls. Such behavior is I'm sure cathartic for the person doing it but it doesn't actually solve problems in any broader sense and, much more importantly, we can't build any sort of constructive national dialog or public policy on personal catharsis.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Last edited by techstepgenr8tion on 23 Dec 2017, 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2017, 2:00 pm

Why is it hypocritical for a wealthy person to look out for his own self interest? Doesn't it make sense that the wealthy would want tax breaks for the wealthy?

It makes more sense to me than tax breaks for the poor that don't pay much in taxes anyway. Especially when they lose much more in benefits from the government than they stand to gain from lower taxes. But, who am I to understand the poor? 8O

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2017, 2:40 pm

Right and left mean different things to different people, and certainly mean different things in different countries.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 8:06 am

auntblabby wrote:
you both just don't get it, do you? it is plain the man is in favor of policies that would hurt a LOT of colored folk [opposition to affordable health care, opposition to affirmative action, opposition to laws restraining police brutality, et al].

No, you don't get it. You're so biased that you believe the only reason he'd have these stances is because he's a race traitor. The 'affordable' health care act wasn't affordable for a lot of people because there was no market competition between companies. I think any level headed person is against giving token jobs out. It only makes things worse. Yeah, I'm sure he just wants police to beat people up :roll:

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 1:03 pm

My biggest problem with the ACA is that it's absolutely crushing the lower-middle and middle class. I know a lot of healthy people paying somewhere between a second car payment to two second car payments for even $5,000+ deductible healthcare insurance. Even for me, living at home, it's been $230+. Add to this families of four paying over $1,000 per month. We're already in a precarious place for work, the millennials are already buying far fewer homes, and through globalism the working class is already being shoved down into poverty. The main problem with the thrust of the above direction - when you have the middle class dissolving and the country is bifurcating increasingly into ultra-rich and poor you're in a position where things get undemocratic fast.

If anyone wants to do something to fix this they really need to focus on just why on earth we're shelling out this much for this little service. I've heard some people offer some ideas that our system just doesn't focus, at all, on preventative care the way it should. We also have some bizarre fetishes about how to handle end of life care where in a person's last few years they easily rack up a half million in costs at times, and a lot of this could be prevented with better operating practices. Either way I think we need some type of think tank or political action group really taking aim at reducing medical costs in the US because it's out of control. That doesn't mean I'd support current regime plans, even when Trump's house got something that Blue Cross Blue Shield sounded like they were ready to accept some a***hole jammed a poison pill in there allowing states to opt out. To that end I'm highly pessimistic that government will be able to resolve this, or at least without heavy-handed instruction from much brighter people than themselves.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 2:08 pm

If you are on Medicare and only have six months to live, you can opt for hospice care instead of those expensive "Hail Mary" medical options, and Medicare will pick up just about everything, including a bed in a hospice facility.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 2:20 pm

I'm immensely grateful that they give that option. We still have an urgent dilemma if a bunch of kids with $100k in student loans who'd be making $35k if they're ever able to get that entry-level position (which they need a year of experience to get) are stuck also paying $300 per month for $6,000 deductible catastrophic health insurance they never use. They'll live with their parents till their in their mid 40's at that rate. It's a great recipe for economic failure in so many sectors we depend on being functional and I think the consequences will make themselves clearer over the next few decades.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 10:32 pm

thinkinginpictures wrote:
I am a European, and I also noticed how alot of fellow europeans are going far-right and think this is THE greatest thing happening, to abolish everything called welfare and give everything to the military, the rich and lowering the burdens of the strongest while increasing the burdens on the weak.

Why is this so popular nowadays?

The right-wing is currently experiencing a surge of popularity because corporate "liberalism" has not really addressed the problem of Islamic terrorism ... and because most people know very little about Middle Eastern history.

The Truth: Extreme Islamic terrorist groups have become popular in the Middle East recently because the people of the Middle East fear Western imperialism. Western megacorps have been aiding militaristic politicians for decades. This helps them spread their global influence and gather resources.

Right-Wingers: "Islam is evil! They hate our freedoms! DEUS VULT!"

Corporate "Liberals": "The Muslims hate us because ... I don't know ... but I can totally fix it! You trust me right?"

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/