John Travolta Does Not Want To Admit Son Has Autism

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

bizarre
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 10:04 pm

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06012007/go ... agesix.htm

June 1, 2007 -- JOHN Travolta, 53, and his wife, Kelly Preston, 44, just announced they want to try for their third child - even while they fall under increasing pressure to publicly acknowledge the disability of their son, Jett.

Travolta has either pretended there is nothing wrong with Jett, 15, or claimed his condition is Kawasaki syndrome, a disease characterized by high fever, skin rash and swelling of the lymph nodes.

But parents of autistic children say that Travolta should join Sylvester Stallone, Doug Flutie, Jenny McCarthy and Toni Braxton, who all have autistic kids, in raising awareness and research funds to cure the disease.

One magazine editor who has interviewed Travolta more than once says that the star's son is disabled - and yet he continues to behave as if nothing is wrong.

"Travolta sits there in interviews talking about how Jett loves to read or play sports, but it is clear that the boy can barely do either," the editor said.

Tim Kenny, the father of a 4-year-old autistic girl from Ocala, Fla., near the Travolta estate, told Mark Ebner of HollywoodInterrupted.com that he introduced the actor in February at a restaurant he manages "as one autistic child's father to another" but that Travolta was in denial.

"Scientology is keeping him from acknowledging his son's autism. They see it as a weakness," Kenny told Ebner.

According to the Church of Scientology, people with mental illnesses are "degraded" and capable of curing themselves by working harder on the church's teachings.

"It's fine with me if Travolta doesn't want to become the poster child for autistic parents, but every time the parent of an autistic child hears about someone else who is in this fight, it makes them feel better," said the editor who interviewed him.

"He could do so much good for autism awareness if he would just come forward."

Travolta's lawyer, Marty Singer, told Page Six: "The Travoltas are wonderful, loving parents, and their priority is their children. They have [taken] and they continue to take the best possible care of their children. To suggest anything to the contrary is very hurtful to a loving family and also would be false and defamatory."

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 10:09 pm

Looks like it's official: John Travolta is a wanker. I knew when I saw the title of this that somehow Scientology would be involved. They hate psychology, you see. And the fact that Travolta has an autistic son will definitely degrade their kudos in the hierarchy. Ha ha ha ha ha. Here's hoping, however, that they don't do anything stupid, vis-a-vis their son....

On sabbatical...

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 10:45 pm

There are a couple of problems with this story. I've read it posted on a blog and I've read elsewhere about Scientology and autism.

1)Nobody is really speaking from expertise about Travolta's son. He may be autistic but that doesn't mean he is not being helped or properly cared for. How does the interviewer know that this boy can't read or play? That's a big assumption or a big claim and one that insists that Travolta is lying.

2)Scientology doesn't deny autism. Autism isn't a mental illness. There are "autism doctors" that are supported and promoted by Scientology (not that I'm in agreement with either group).

3)Autism isn't necessarily a medical issue. Travolta has trunks of cash and can buy whatever and whomever he wants. If he's a decent parent, he is probably paying for proper and helpful care and education for his son. It's his perogative to keep quiet about it. Temple Grandin came from money and her parents hired governesses so that she had "special ed preschool" before it existed. She was sent to small, private boarding schools where she had specialized teaching. This was decades before special ed, ABA therapy or anything for the general public was available.

4)I wouldn't ask Travolta to join that group of celebrity parents. They are no role models with what they talk about on TV. It would be nice if his son were autistic and he is positive about it. Maybe that's why he is quiet. He doesn't want to be pressured into the Curebie Bandwagon.

bizarre
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2007, 10:20 am

I think it has more to do with the Scientology beliefs thou.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

04 Jun 2007, 10:55 am

KimJ wrote:
There are a couple of problems with this story. I've read it posted on a blog and I've read elsewhere about Scientology and autism.

1)Nobody is really speaking from expertise about Travolta's son. He may be autistic but that doesn't mean he is not being helped or properly cared for. How does the interviewer know that this boy can't read or play? That's a big assumption or a big claim and one that insists that Travolta is lying.

2)Scientology doesn't deny autism. Autism isn't a mental illness. There are "autism doctors" that are supported and promoted by Scientology (not that I'm in agreement with either group).

3)Autism isn't necessarily a medical issue. Travolta has trunks of cash and can buy whatever and whomever he wants. If he's a decent parent, he is probably paying for proper and helpful care and education for his son. It's his perogative to keep quiet about it. Temple Grandin came from money and her parents hired governesses so that she had "special ed preschool" before it existed. She was sent to small, private boarding schools where she had specialized teaching. This was decades before special ed, ABA therapy or anything for the general public was available.

4)I wouldn't ask Travolta to join that group of celebrity parents. They are no role models with what they talk about on TV. It would be nice if his son were autistic and he is positive about it. Maybe that's why he is quiet. He doesn't want to be pressured into the Curebie Bandwagon.

Yeah the same story was on Digg and the users their are very hostile to Scientology but they could see the illogic of the story and mostly sided with Travolta on this. You can be sure the kid is getting excellent care.

Mitch8817
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2007, 10:59 am

He should get his OTVIII buddy Tom to use his mind powers to cure the boy.

Imagine being brought up within the church of $cientology...yuck.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2007, 11:17 am

Scientology needs to be purged from the face of the earth.

Cultist ret*ds.

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2007, 6:38 pm

Scientology was created by a science fiction writer for chrissakes! It's kind of like a cult.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2007, 6:51 am

Quote:
There are "autism doctors" that are supported and promoted by Scientology

The only reason they have these is to hook the non-scientologist parents of autistic children when they are at a particularly difficult time in their life.