Crossed paths with two old friends this weekend

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

NYAspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Nov 2017, 10:22 am

In the run up to and during this holiday weekend here in the states, I had encounters with two friends of mine from my high school days: one at a wine tasting at a liquor store in my old hometown, the other just this morning while out grocery shopping. While I was happy during the former and surprised during the latter, there's one common thread here: while I discussed what I was going to do/did for Thanksgiving, I did not mention to any of them that my Mom had passed in the intervening months.

Was it good for me to leave this part out?

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2017, 10:45 am

If you shared contact information (e-mail addresses or phone numbers), you can always tell your friends the news about your mother when you choose to do so. Otherwise, you are under no obligation to describe your life to others in detail. If they find out about your mother, and contact you, you could always say that you are "still getting used to mom not being around."

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2017, 1:52 pm

I agree with the above. It's a fairly personal detail, and not something you're obligated to share. To me that sounds like the things that friends might share if they spent more time catching up on life, life changes, and other big topics than over a short chat about the holidays. A lot has probably happened since you last saw each other and it would take hours to share it all.

I don't think they're going to be upset they didn't hear it straight away, for sure.