Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2017, 1:51 pm

This is for the US as I realize we have lots of foreign readers. I am in somewhat of a quandry; I like the republican views on defense but their views on social policies are behind the times. I like the democratic views on social policies because they seem to get that there are many different nationalities of people born into many different backgrounds and the US is part of the world, not an isolationist country. I don't care for most of their defense policies. I feel it is time to form a Free Thinkers party; a party that "cherry-picks" policies from both parties while ignoring the other policies. I feel there alot of Americans that also have the same views; instead of picking a political party because they like only certain views and just stomach the rest. Do you think it is time for a new political party?

GoSensGo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Nov 2017, 2:55 pm

If you consider yourself fiscally conservative but socially liberal, maybe check out the Libertarian party. I thought they were poised to gain a lot of ground until leader Gary Johnson had a meltdown on the campaign trail.

But in terms of a group that cherry picks philosophies... it sounds great but I think it would be hard to execute, given the fact that people in the party would no doubt disagree with each other about which views should be chosen. Even libertarians are constantly debating things.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2017, 1:23 am

...What was this meltdown that Gary Johnson had?

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

yelekam
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2017, 3:59 am

There are dozens of existing political parties in the United States.
Here are some links that list many of them.
https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmXoypizjW3WknFiJnKLwHCnL72vedxjQkDDP1mXWo6uco/wiki/List_of_political_parties_in_the_United_States.html
http://www.politics1.com/parties.htm
Perhaps you'll find one you're interested in. If not, you can always look for other people with similar political positions and try to form a political organization. Although the effort of building a political party can involve a significant amount of effort.

Hyeokgeose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Dec 2017, 12:09 pm

I wish I could agree with you on the social views held by the Democratic Party. As for the average Democrat voter, the older generation tends to cherish legitimate social freedoms. Now, as for the Party and younger Democrats, they tend to be socially tyrannical in the guise of tolerance and acceptance.

I see the philosophy you wish to pursue is that of liberty: fiscal and social freedom. Once upon a time, I would have recommended the Libertarian Party; but, the party ditched its principles and philosophies in favor of trying to grow the party by having a Johnson - Weld ticket (Weld was extremely questionable).

So, I agree: we do need a new party; but, at the same time, we don't. Why? We don't exactly have a "two party" system in the way people think we do: rather, the two party system is superficial, with the Grand Old Party being heavily divided into many factions. Freedom caucus, liberty caucus, neo-cons, libertarian-republicans, etc. I believe that the Grand Old Party can be shifted toward a libertarian ethos as the younger generation of Republicans tend to lean libertarian.

Personally, I would prefer another party. I want Congress to go back to the way it was pre-1860, in which it was divided by several parties, with those parties further divided. There was a lot of diversity under our old republican (I mean the technical term, not partisan) system in general. If we can do that, then oh boy, there would be lots of room for more parties; of course, that's given that we are able to recreate that old political landscape in addition. Oh, I can only dream.

"It’s not until they tell you you’re going to die soon that you realize how short life is. Time is the most valuable thing in life because it never comes back. And whether you spend it in the arms of a loved one or alone in a prison-cell, life is what you make of it. Dream big."
-Stefán Karl Stefánsson
10 July, 1975 - 21 August, 2018.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2017, 12:20 pm

Having been a Democrat who could work well with Republicans, I have learned enough about all political parties to realize that, while parties are legally able to exist, they should be prohibited in government. There should be no Democratic Caucus or Republican Caucus, no ranking members, and no “majority” or “minority” leaders.

Thomas Jefferson described it best when he wrote: “I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in any thing else where I was capable of thinking for myself. Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent. If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all. […] I am neither federalist nor antifederalist; that I am of neither party, nor yet a trimmer between parties.” --Thomas Jefferson to Francis Hopkinson (March 13, 1789).

I despise the idea of political parties in government. Make individuals in government work without parties (except during their own personal time). I am a Jeffersonian constitutionalist, not a federalist (Republican) or antifederalist (Democrat).

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2017, 2:15 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
Having been a Democrat who could work well with Republicans, I have learned enough about all political parties to realize that, while parties are legally able to exist, they should be prohibited in government.

Doing away with the freedom to associate with those you want is not what we need.

What I'd like to see is the elimination of the mention of political parties from ballots. Have people vote for the person, not the party. If someone wants to vote for the candidates of one party, let them study the candidates sufficiently to know which are Republicans, which are Democrats, which are Libertarians, ... .

Also, no party is going to do well in a Presidential election if they can't get into the debates. The Republicans and Democrats jealously guard access to the debates because they don't want the competition.