Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2017, 7:10 pm

Do you prefer to have a conversation with one person or a couple of people? I find it easier to participate in the conversation if it is with one person. If I am interacting with more than one person it can be hard to jump into the conversation sometimes. I find it to be easier for people to get to know me one on one. In a group conversations, there seems always be one or two people that have to dominate the conversation and make it all about them. What are your experiences/observations on group conversations?

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2017, 7:23 pm

It depends, but with one person it's often awkward because I don't know what to say, while with a group of people I often get left out of the conversation. I suppose I prefer a small group, like two or three others, but even that depends on the people and their willingness to include me.

doofy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2017, 7:26 pm

One is so much easier.

Usually with more than one, the others tend to have some sort of internal dynamic that I'm not a party to.

And with more than one - who am I supposed to be talking to? And when is it my turn to speak?

Some "support" numpties wanted to visit me recently as a threesome. I refused.

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2017, 7:31 pm

One on one. And even that can be difficult. Occasionally the small group works out, but not usually. If there is someone that I know, who is familiar enough with me to kind of translate for me it helps. Otherwise I really can't do it.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2017, 9:02 pm

Generally I prefer small group because I don't really have to carry my end of the conversion.

If it's one person and I'm expected to respond and don't know how, I'm put in an awkward place. If it's a small group, I can just stay silent if I don't know what to say.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2017, 9:05 pm

I really suck at group conversations, so I definitely prefer one on one. I either end up talking over everyone or not saying a word in group conversations.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2017, 9:33 pm

I have also experienced awkwardness in one on one conversations with people I don't have much in common with. I don't always feel included in conversations especially when there are domineering people in the group. I have a hard time with the internal dynamics and extensive history that some groups of people have with each other.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2017, 7:40 am

In all fairness, NT's are extremely competitive with one another and will attempt to snuff out competition amongst themselves. Only the slickest NT's come out on top in these group conversations.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2017, 7:48 am

Being nonverbal I only participate in textual conversations.

If I'm on chat with one person I do a lot more talking because I have to keep my half of the convo going.

But if I'm in a chatroom with 2 or more people I tend to let them do most of the talking and chime in when I feel like it.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2017, 7:59 am

Ezra, that works too. I prefer written communication even though I'm verbal.

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2017, 11:58 am

I'm more likely to chime into a group conversation if they are talking about stuff I can relate to. It's hard to converse with people who only talk about their endless vacations and children/grandchildren.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2017, 12:33 pm

The smaller the group the better, one person even better. Conversation with a group is multitasking :cry:

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2017, 3:37 pm

Ditto on the vacations -leisure class scene.

Cratilla
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Nov 2017, 4:37 pm

The more people, the worse I find it.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2017, 4:41 pm

SplendidSnail wrote:
Generally I prefer small group because I don't really have to carry my end of the conversion.

If it's one person and I'm expected to respond and don't know how, I'm put in an awkward place. If it's a small group, I can just stay silent if I don't know what to say.

This^^^

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

thewheel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Nov 2017, 5:08 pm

I tend to speak only when it's one on one, when I have to. In a small group I mostly just let the others talk while I listen. I can only fake conversation for a short period, i'm not great with give and take; mostly because I run out of things to say.