Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2017, 9:09 am

arielhawksquill wrote:
magz wrote:
Well, I disagree with your therapist. I guess she imagines everyone wants to be a football player or a famous artist.

Presumably he told his therapist what his special interest is, and as a grown-up experienced in the world of work she knew it wasn't something likely to become a job. If he said, "I want to program computer games" or something stereotypically Aspie and well-paid, she probably would have encouraged him in it.

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2017, 6:58 pm

I come up with ideas that seem to have a market somewhere out there however get shot down because of upfront costs, too many people doing it or not knowing people or having that wide a circle of friends or any at all.

For instance:

An addictive mobile golf game or adventure game - a potential to market the app on the store that costs (£1/$2), possibly giving you a share of 50% from e.g. 10,000 people, thats like 5k/10k from just one app that might take approx 6 months to develop. Downside, my programming skills suck and I try to improve them with no avail, tutorials also take a while to get through, even basic ones taking weeks.

An ASMR youtube/twitch stream - from a twitch stream or youtube, it's dependent on how many viewers are interested, where twitch has higher probability of donations to the streamer which allows them to display incentives or make it more attractive by dedicating some donations to a charity. I thought ASMR because it seems to be trending recent weeks. Upfront costs however include microphone equipment, video capture which I won't be able to afford at the current time. Again it depends on amount of viewers and most may be focused on the most popular channels.

Meanwhile I see no other solutions to getting an income, and homelessness becoming a reality for years to come.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2017, 8:56 am

Matthew

Maybe your therapist told you that, because your (Matthew) specific passions are not particularly financially productive usually.

But I feel the same as you

Fear of work

Ergophobia

Get counseling for depression

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2017, 9:29 am

Mathew

While she's not wrong exactly she may not have taken account of all the facts.
1 How important is this to you.
2 How difficult for you will it be holding down a full time job
3 What are your income expectations
I left school at 17 to be a writer, I have put several hours a week into my writing and working about 25 hrs a week until the age of 40. I then wrote full time for 2.5 years living off of my savings and odd jobs. I have yet to earn any money from it. If I get published I hope to build up to an income of £10,000 per year. In other words there is no logic to my being a writer as I will never match minimum wage or be reimbursed for the work I've already done BUT

1 It is obsessively important to me
2 When I've worked over about 20hrs (excluding writing) it has exhausted me and left me struggling to cope including with my writing and i have no life, it's work recover, work recover, work recover, that's it.
3 I can live on very little and have kept my overheads to a minimum, this takes sacrifice, I would love to get on the property ladder but that is impossible.

My point is, sorry I ramble, that it depends how much you are willing to sacrifice and what you are expecting to get for your efforts. I have finished my first novel and am back looking for a part time job (shop assistant around 15 hours) that I can do alongside some rewriting and submitting to agents. Was I realistic, no, do I regret it, NO! :D

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2017, 3:03 pm

Matthew

What are your hobbies?

Maybe you could take a day job and pursue hobbies after work

Some aspiring actors (models, musicians, writers, painters) work day jobs and go to auditions and etcetera at night

But anyways I got a similar problem

In that I ain't got no job or job skills

The jobs I qualify for, any old monkey also qualifies for

So a lot of applicants per job listing

And those jobs only pay minimum wage anyways

And those jobs do not match my weirdo autistic demeanor

Except, the unlike you, I have no hobbies

:D

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2017, 4:14 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Matthew

What are your hobbies?

Maybe you could take a day job and pursue hobbies after work

Some aspiring actors (models, musicians, writers, painters) work day jobs and go to auditions and etcetera at night

But anyways I got a similar problem

In that I ain't got no job or job skills

The jobs I qualify for, any old monkey also qualifies for

So a lot of applicants per job listing

And those jobs only pay minimum wage anyways

And those jobs do not match my weirdo autistic demeanor

Except, the unlike you, I have no hobbies

:D

My Dad told me that if I went to work in a factory I would be bored, doing a job a monkey could do. My first job was in a factory making star shaped tissue boxes, but I couldn't get my stars pointy enough. I was not bored, I was incompetent, and there were no monkeys around to show me how to do it properly. :oops:

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 9:01 am

Maybe the best option is that I work in a factory

No job is perfect

And there might not be a good job for me

If there were a good job for me, then it would be a good job for plenty of other applicants too

And then competition

:cry: beggars can't be choosers :cry:

Some jobs are physically dangerous, like police officers. Some jobs are unhealthful, like landfill workers. Some jobs work 100 hours a week, like certified public accountant. Some jobs are degrading.

Boring might be "As Good As it Gets"

And besides, I have few or no job skills

:lol:

Besides, boredom is not necessarily a bad thing

Getting raped is exciting

Many things are worse than boredom

When I was in third to seventh grade, my precious lil "parents" made me memorize ten to twenty SAT words per day in the summer. And ten to twenty SAT words per week in the school year. The made me take the SAT in seventh grade

With the exception of six months clarinet lessons that I did not want, and nine months Chinese school, they did not send me to extracurricular activities either

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

And now that I am 34, I have only had minimum wage jobs

All the jobs were boring

Minimum wage is not enough to live off anyways

So why bother?

And now when I write the panhandling sign, it could have zero grammatical errors. And when I count pennies for Kit Kat at Seven Eleven, I count correctly

After all that time and energy wasted on studying for the SAT

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: