Page 1 of 20 [ 306 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2017, 11:46 am

I probably should have put all these into one thread weeks ago.

Russell Simmons, facing third assault allegation, steps down from companies

Quote:
Russell Simmons, founder of the rap music label Def Jam Recordings, is stepping down both from that company and his clothing line Phat Farm following allegations of sexual assault, including from screenwriter-actress Jenny Lumet, the daughter of legendary film director Sidney Lumet.

On Thursday, Simmons, 60, issued a lengthy statement that said in part: “I have been informed with great anguish of Jenny Lumet’s recollection about our night together in 1991. I know Jenny and her family and have seen her several times over the years since the evening she described. While her memory of that evening is very different from mine, it is now clear to me that her feelings of fear and intimidation are real. While I have never been violent, I have been thoughtless and insensitive in some of my relationships over many decades and I sincerely and humbly apologize.”

The Queens native went on to say that in order not to be a distraction at the companies he founded, he was removing himself.

“I will step aside and commit myself to continuing my personal growth, spiritual learning and above all to listening,” Simmons said in his statement.

2 More Women Come Forward with Allegations Against Franken
Quote:
Army veteran Stephanie Kemplin told CNN Sen. Franken groped her in December 2003 during a photo op.

Kemplin said the senator cupped her breast as they were posing before she shifted her body.

Also Thursday, the online publication Jezebel reported a former elected official in New England who requested anonymity said Franken attempted to give her a "wet, open-mouthed kiss" on stage at an event in 2006 prior to his election to the Senate.

Geraldo Rivera admonished by Fox, accused of groping Bette Midler, after defending Matt Lauer
Quote:
After Geraldo Rivera defended Matt Lauer and called news “a flirty business,” his bosses at Fox News said they were troubled by his comments, People magazine reported.

In addition, a 1991 interview resurfaced in which Bette Midler told Barbara Walters that Rivera groped her.

Rivera’s trouble started with a series of tweets Wednesday in which he expressed sadness for Lauer, who was fired from the “Today Show” after being accused of sexual misconduct in the workplace.

Rivera called Lauer a “gentleman” and expressed concern that the “epidemic” of sexual harassment allegations against powerful men in media and entertainment is “criminalizing courtship and conflating it (with) predation.”

He then offered his own narrow definition of sexual harassment and said such an allegation should never be used by women to “get even (with) bad bosses or hated (exes).” He also said that allegations should be made in a “timely fashion.”

"A jerk's a jerk in dating. #SexHarassment should be confined to situations where superior imposes himself on subordinate who feels unable to complain because of power of perp or feared consequences to victim's employment. Shouldn't be used to get even w bad bosses or hated ex's"

"#SexHarassment allegations should require: 1-made in a timely fashion-say w/n 5 yrs. 2-some contemporaneous corroboration, like witnesses, electronic or written communications. W $ settlements in multi-millions slight chance exists some victims are motivated by more than justice"

Fox News issued this statement with regard to Rivera: “Geraldo’s tweets do not reflect the views of FoX News or its management. We were troubled by his comments and are addressing them with him.”

As for the 1991 Bette Midler interview, it showed the film and Broadway star addressing Rivera’s claim that the two had a sexual encounter.

In his 1991 memoir “Exposing Myself,” Rivera mentioned going to interview Midler in the 1970s. “We were in the bathroom, preparing for the interview, and at some point I put my hands on her breasts,” he wrote, according to a line excerpted in the Washington Post at the time.

Midler offered a different account to Walters, emphasizing that the encounter was not consensual.

“Geraldo and his producer came to do an interview with me, in the ’70s, the early ’70s,” she said. “And this was when he was very, sort of, hot. And he and his producer left the crew in the other room, they pushed me into my bathroom, they broke two poppers and pushed them under my nose and proceeded to grope me.”

“Poppers” is a slang term for the recreational drug alkyl nitrite.

In the interview, Walters looked shocked as she asked, “Grope?”

Midler nodded and said, “Groped me. I did not offer myself up on the altar of Geraldo Rivera. He was… he was unseemly.”

At the time, Midler’s accusation didn’t erupt into a major scandal because one high-profile star accusing another of sexual misconduct was not taken as seriously back then, People said.

"Reaction to my tweets today on #sexharassment makes clear
I didn't sufficiently explain that this is a horrendous problem
long hidden-Harassers are deviants who deserve what is coming
to them-Often victims are too frightened to come
forward in a timely fashion-I humbly apologize"

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2017, 6:34 pm

AACTA awards: Crisis talks over Geoffrey Rush allegations AACTA board members have met in the wake of allegations of inappropriate behaviour against Geoffrey Rush, who is set to play a key role in next week’s awards ceremony.

Quote:
THE Australian Academy of Cinema and Television Arts (AACTA) held crisis talks on Thursday in the wake of accusations of “inappropriate behaviour” levelled at the organisation’s president, Oscar-winner Geoffrey Rush.
Rush, who has denied the allegations made by a female co-star during the Sydney Theatre Company (STC)’s production of King Lear, was due to open AACTA’s prestigious 7th annual awards ceremony on Wednesday.

The AACTA board met on Thursday while executives debated how to proceed.

“They hope it will blow over,” a source said.
“But they are really not sure what to do.”

Former Neighbours star Meyne Wyatt, who starred in the King Lear production with Rush, has taken to social media to confirm he believes his female castmate and has called on Australia’s entertainment bodies to stamp out sexual harassment and other inappropriate behavior

And fellow actor Brandon McClelland, who worked alongside the actress who made the complaint against Rush, urged other to believe the complaints: “It wasn’t a misunderstanding.”

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2017, 1:25 pm

Metropolitan Opera suspends James Levine over sexual abuse allegations

Quote:
The Metropolitan Opera announced Sunday that it was suspending its relationship with James Levine, its music director emeritus and a monumental figure in the world of classical music, because of multiple allegations of sexual misconduct.

The suspension was a response to a one-two punch of newspaper articles on Saturday and Sunday reporting that three men said they had been sexually abused by Levine, now 74, at different points starting in the late 1960s. “While we await the results of the investigation, based on these new news reports, the Met has made the decision to act now,” Peter Gelb, the Met’s general manager, said in a statement.

On Sunday, after the New York Times published accounts by two more men who say Levine molested them when they were underage, the Met cut the cord altogether, relieving Levine of all future engagements. “This is a tragedy for anyone whose life has been affected,” said Gelb.

The Times article said that the Met had known of at least one earlier allegation in 1979, but dismissed it as baseless.

While Levine is a beloved figure in the industry, rumors about his sexual habits have been widespread for years — so much so that he addressed them in a 1987 interview. “I don’t have the faintest idea where those rumors came from or what purpose they served,” Levine told the New York Times’ John Rockwell.

Sexual assault and harassment complaints against powerful men make for tough cases Alleged victims have acquired psychological damage, so police 'move very cautiously'
Quote:
Police in London, Los Angeles and New York are working to untangle an ever-growing mass of sexual assault and harassment complaints against powerful men, creating challenges even for big cities used to handling celebrities.

Most of the cases stem from claims against media mogul Harvey Weinstein — but authorities say they've also taken complaints made against other men in power.

"It's an international phenomenon," NYPD Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce said when asked about investigations into Weinstein. "These ladies were sexually assaulted, harassed, and they acquired psychological damage, so we have to move very cautiously with anyone who comes in — and that's what we're doing."

Unlike cases involving everyday people, pressure from the media and high-powered attorneys create added problems for investigators, and many of the recent allegations date back years, sometimes passing the statute of limitations.

Los Angeles police say they have 27 open investigations into entertainment figures, including actor Ed Westwick and agent Tyler Grasham, in addition to Weinstein.

The LAPD has also taken more than 30 other reports of sexual misconduct that occurred in other parts of the United States and overseas and referred those cases to other law enforcement agencies.

Separately, Beverly Hills police say its department alone is investigating a dozen allegations of sexual assault involving figures in the entertainment industry.

London police say they are investigating sexual assault allegations from nine people.

In New York, detectives have received more than a dozen complaints from people who reported being abused by entertainment industry figures around the country, and they say most of those cases involve Weinstein. At least 75 have made allegations in the media against him that range from rape to inappropriate comments, but not all have gone to police.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 12:28 am

Lest we forget....
http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/ce ... a2392de66f

Trump somehow dodges bullets like a fat version of Neo from the Matrix

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 2:19 am

cyberdad wrote:
Lest we forget....
http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/ce ... a2392de66f

Trump somehow dodges bullets like a fat version of Neo from the Matrix

Now has has the gall to say It is not his voice on the tape. Why not, he has been given the ultimate reward dispite and because of bragging about sexual assault.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 3:41 pm

Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix's 'The Ranch' Amid Rape Allegations

Quote:
The actor, who is facing multiple allegations of rape, has been fired from the streaming giant's scripted comedy The Ranch.

"As a result of ongoing discussions, Netflix and the producers have written Danny Masterson out of The Ranch. [Monday] was his last day on the show, and production will resume in early 2018 without him," Netflix said in a statement.

Masterson will still appear in the second half of season two, due Dec. 15, and could return for parts of the previously announced third season as the streaming giant writes him out of the Ashton Kutcher comedy. It's unclear if another actor will be brought in to make up for the void. (Kutcher famously came in as the new male lead after Charlie Sheen was fired from CBS' Two and a Half Men.)

The LAPD has been investigating sexual assault claims against Masterson and a potential Church of Scientology cover-up since March. Three women came forward at the time with claims that the actor sexual assaulted them. The claims stem from an alleged victim's 16-year-old claims that were brought to light after contact with Leah Remini as part of her A&E docuseries Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath.

On Monday, Netflix came under fire again when one of Masterson's alleged victims recounted a story to the Huffington Post that a Netflix executive told her he did not believe four women who have made claims against the actor. The executive, director of global kids content Andy Yeatman, did not know he was speaking to one of Masterson's alleged victims until she identified herself as such.

As of Monday, a petition calling for Netflix to cancel The Ranch had earned support from more than 38,000 people.

“I am obviously very disappointed in Netflix’s decision to write my character off of The Ranch. From day one, I have denied the outrageous allegations against me," he said in a statement. "Law enforcement investigated these claims more than 15 years ago and determined them to be without merit. I have never been charged with a crime, let alone convicted of one."

The statement continued, "In this country, you are presumed innocent until proven guilty. However, in the current climate, it seems as if you are presumed guilty the moment you are accused. I understand and look forward to clearing my name once and for all. In the meantime, I want to express my gratitude to the cast and crew that I’ve worked so closely with over the past three seasons. I wish them nothing but success. I am also so thankful to the fans that have supported me and continue to do so.”

Facebook’s Sheryl Sandberg warns of a “Me Too” backlash against women at work
Quote:
The Facebook COO posted a lengthy message on Facebook (natch), where she waded into the tidal wave of sexual harassment and assault accusations that have captured headlines lately. In her post, Sandberg wrote about her own experiences with harassment, including “a hand on my leg under the table at a meeting,” married men offering “career advice” “alone late at night” and, most alarming, a man at a conference who came to her hotel room late at night and banged on her door until she called security. So Sandberg, too, is ready for a change:

“Sexual harassment has been tolerated for far too long in the halls of government and companies large and small. For the first time in my professional life, it feels like people are finally prepared to hold perpetrators responsible. I’m cheering.”

That said, she is also worried about workplace repercussions that could limit the opportunities women have in their careers. “I have already heard the rumblings of a backlash: ‘This is why you shouldn’t hire women,'” she wrote. “Actually, this is why you should.”

“We need systemic, lasting changes that deter bad behavior and protect everyone,” she wrote, noting that in her book, Lean In, a majority of senior male managers told her they were afraid to be alone with a female colleague, over fear of sexual harassment accusations. “Doing right by women in the workplace does not just mean treating them with respect. It also means not isolating or ignoring them,” Sandberg wrote, encouraging men not to “just hire women,” but to “mentor, advise, and promote them,” too.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 12:02 am

John Conyers to Leave Congress Amid Harassment Claims

Quote:
Mr. Conyers, 88, the “dean” of the House and the longest-serving African-American representative in history, acquiesced to weeks of pressure from fellow Democrats. But by trying to keep his Detroit-area seat in the family, he touched off a family feud between his 27-year-old son and his great-nephew Ian Conyers, a state senator from Michigan who also plans to run in a special House election.

In a phone interview, Ian Conyers said that his great-uncle encouraged him to run for the seat days before deciding to step down. Now the two younger Conyerses will most likely face off in what may become a battle over the legacy of Mr. Conyers, considered an icon to many black people.

“I am retiring today,” he told “The Mildred Gaddis Show,” a local radio program, from a hospital in Michigan. “I am in the process of putting together my retirement plans.”

He continued to deny that he had harassed former employees and said he did not know where those allegations came from.

Black lawmakers resentful after Conyers resignation Members of the Congressional Black Caucus see white politicians being treated differently after facing sexual misconduct allegations.
Quote:
Many CBC members see a double standard at play. They won't say the treatment of Conyers is racist, necessarily — and all express strong support for his alleged victims — but they think white politicians accused of similar misconduct like Blake Farenthold, Al Franken, Roy Moore and Donald Trump get a "benefit of the doubt" that black politicians don't enjoy.

Some members believe House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and other party leaders moved too quickly in calling on Conyers to resign and should have let the process play out more, although they understand the pressure she was facing. And still another faction thinks Conyers' declining health and mental acuity after more than 52 years in Congress led to the debacle, despite evidence that Conyers allegedly had been harassing female staffers for years.

Congressman Says He Will Pay Back $84,000 Sexual Harassment Settlement
Quote:
A Texas Congressman said Monday he would pay back the $84,000 in taxpayer money that was used to settle a sexual harassment lawsuit that was filed by a former employee.

“Even though I was completely exonerated by [the Office of Congressional Ethics] and the settlement agreement has been paid, I am doing my best and am going to hand a check over this week to, probably Speaker Ryan or somebody, and say, look, here is the amount of my settlement. Give it back to the taxpayers,” Farenthold said in an interview with KRIS-TV.

In 2014, Rep. Blake Farenthold’s former communications director Lauren Greene sued alleging she’d been sexually harassed by the Congressman while working in his office. On Friday, Politico reported that Farenthold’s office used taxpayer money to pay off an $84,000 settlement that was reached in that case.

“I want to be clear that I didn’t do anything wrong,” Farenthold said Monday. “But I also don’t want the taxpayers to be on the hook for this and I want to be able to talk about it and fix the system without people saying, ‘Blake, you benefitted from the system. You don’t have a right to talk about it or fix it.'”

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 11:22 am

More on the Democratic icon (that's what Nancy Pelosi called him the other day) Rep. John Conyers:

In case you've forgotten, Chandra Levy was a D.C. intern who disappeared about 20 years ago, and whose decomposed body was found months later in a D.C. park.

There Are Four Lights!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 11:37 am

Time Magazine Person of the Year - The Silence Breakers

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 12:56 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

There Are Four Lights!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 3:24 pm

Al Franken announces he will resign from the Senate

Quote:
Yielding to pressure from other Democrats, Franken said he will leave Capitol Hill in the “coming weeks,” but continued to deny allegations of groping and unwanted advances from more than half-a-dozen women.

The former rising Democratic star used his resignation speech to take aim at President Trump and Alabama Republican Senate candidate Roy Moore, who have not been forced aside despite facing arguably more serious allegations of sexual misconduct.

“There is some irony in the fact that I am leaving while a man who has bragged on tape about his history of sexual assault sits in the Oval Office and a man who has repeatedly preyed on young girls campaigns for the Senate with the full support of his party,” Franken said in a speech on the Senate floor.

On the Senate floor, Franken called the reckoning an “important moment” that is “long overdue,” but he denied engaging in behavior that disrespected or took advantage of women.

“I know there’s been a very different picture of me painted over the last few weeks, but I know who I really am,” he said. “I know in my heart that nothing I have done as a senator — nothing — has brought dishonor on this institution.”

He is expected to make his resignation effective at the end of the month, according to a person familiar with his decision-making. This timetable could allow him to cast several consequential votes on the Republican tax bill, funding the government and possibly the fate of “dreamers,” immigrants brought to the country illegally as children.

The seat is safe for the Democrats. The Democrat governor will appoint his replacement. I wonder if so many Democrats would have called for his resignation if a Republican governor was tasked with appointing his replacement.

If the Republicans seat Roy Moore (and the party after they said they wouldn't are now financially backing him) the Dems will reap a political windfall.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 4:42 pm

Democrat women and leftists have been covering for these men for decades. Which shows it has nothing to do with women's rights or justice, and everything to do with maintaining their own political power (at the expense of as many expendable women as may be necessary).

Anybody who thinks these people actually care about women's rights is a gullible fool.

There Are Four Lights!

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 7:26 pm

Allegations, allegations, allegations. That's all I see here. Whatever happened to the notion that someone was presumed to be innocent until shown otherwise? Has it ever occurred to anyone to think that maybe - just maybe - some of these women are lying? That is possible you know.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 7:36 pm

Darmok wrote:
Democrat women and leftists have been covering for these men for decades. Which shows it has nothing to do with women's rights or justice, and everything to do with maintaining their own political power (at the expense of as many expendable women as may be necessary).

Anybody who thinks these people actually care about women's rights is a gullible fool.

Exactly! :salut:

If these people really, really care about women's rights, then they should actually raise issues that for some weird reason they never do. You know, like the way in which women and girls are treated as cattle in Saudi Arabia. Or how about the disturbing rise in rape cases in those parts of Western Europe (ex. Germany, Sweden) that is directly attributable to those nations willingness to accept "refugees" from parts of Africa and the Middle East? What about F.G.M. and "honour killings"? Why the deafening silence regarding the issues that actually matter?

They've called it the "Me Too" movement. Well, that says it all. Time's "person of the year" apparently. It's utterly ridiculous.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 7:39 pm

Lintar wrote:
Allegations, allegations, allegations. That's all I see here. Whatever happened to the notion that someone was presumed to be innocent until shown otherwise? Has it ever occurred to anyone to think that maybe - just maybe - some of these women are lying? That is possible you know.

To summarize what I predicted in another thread a lot of people at long last will get what is coming to them, innocent people will be hurt, the country will move on to the next moral panic and we will regress back in a similar manner to the way we did after the Justice Thomas hearings were supposed to end ignoring sexual predation.

Some good will come out of it but Innocence and guilt have nothing to do with it, the bottom line be it money or politics is what matters.

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 07 Dec 2017, 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 7:40 pm

Darmok wrote:

Oh bull corn.Perverts come in all political parties.People on both sides have been hush hush about this crap for years.Thank goodness that time is drawing to an end.
I'd zap them all with a taser,liberal,conserve,independent,white,black,male or female.
On the last two occasions where somebody got fresh with me and touched "personal space "resulted in me twisting ones thumb,the other got beat with a large stick I found beside the road.So tired of that BS.
Maybe we should just issue shock collars for all politicians and the Hollywood crowd.
You've got a big orange one loose in the White House,but recently he looks like he's more interested in a bucket of chicken than coochie.He is looking more and more like Tubby from Little Lulu than a POTUS.
Everyone here knew Clinton was a horn dog.We were happy to get him out of the state.Folks could finally release their daughters and wives from the tater cellar.Hell,some people even hid the fresher looking grannies.