Jobs for people with low social skills (me)

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Hhfdsfbjhgcsdhjjgvdsadghj9
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Nov 2017, 2:31 pm

I’m not diagnosed with anything and honestly I don’t know what’s wrong with me but clearly something. Maybe Autism. Definitely social anxiety. I’m so depressed and overwhelmed by what I’m going to do for a living because I don’t have the social skills to do anything. I’m 22 so it’s really crunch time now.

I want to be a researcher in academia but I’m not really smart enough for that. I got rejected from grad school last year. I applied to grad school again this year so it could happen ... but probably not. I will have a BSc in psychology in May (I could’ve graduated last year but I chose not to because I didn’t get into grad school).

If not then what? I’m not smart or good with math or computers.

I can handle formulaic social interactions. I work in retail right now and I’m good at it. I can handle being a cashier because you know exactly how the interaction goes. “Hi how are you would you like a bag that comes to $5 have a great day bye” easy. I need a job that has similarly formulaic interactions I guess.

I was originally hired to be a key-holder / on-duty manager but my manager changed her mind when I started working, I assume because of how shy and lacking in social skills I am. That’s ok because I am good at being a normal cashier but this shows how bad it is.

I like the idea of being a teacher (maybe special ed) because I’m good with some kids and I like thinking of activities for kids to do. I used to babysit and volunteer with kids a lot. I’m good with autistic kids. But I’m really only good with some kinds of kids one-on-one. I’m volunteering in a grade 1 classroom this term and I like it but I can’t see myself being in charge of a class. It requires good social skills.

I have thought about doing the ABA program and being a therapist because I’m good with autistic kids. But I don’t like ABA and the main thing that appeals to me about teaching is the creative part - thinking of activities and tailoring them to the individual kids. ABA has no individuality or creativity at all so I don’t think I’d like that job. Plus social skills.

I’m not handy or good with tools, plus I hate loud noises so I don’t think the trades are for me at all.

Maybe I’ll end up in retail for the rest of my life since that’s something I can do. I have a deep desire to be financially stable though (lol who doesn’t).

I was wondering if you have any thoughts about what I should do for a living.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2017, 2:38 pm

I'd suggest working with autistic kids. This is not something that comes easily to "normal" people. Most importantly it looks like you will have a job for the foreseeable future. And have some choice in what sort of therapy you will do by choosing the appropriate employer. Private schools typically pay less than public schools because they are better places to work for.

Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Nov 2017, 4:54 pm

Thanks for your response. I would like that but I’m not sure I’ll “make it”. It seems like a lot of autism therapists are really bubbly, in-your-face type extroverts (from my volunteer experience). I’m not like that.

I guess I’m also wondering if anyone has experience having a job like teacher/therapist with problems with social skills. How is it for you?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2017, 11:31 pm

There is a growing understanding that in-your-face extroverts doesn't work for autistic kids. There was just a
story on the local news about making visits to Santa less of a sensory overload to autistic kids.

Similar story online
http://www.journalpioneer.com/community ... en-166014/

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2017, 6:17 am

In your face extroverts aren't what the autistic kids like.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2017, 6:20 am

P.S. I wouldn't go thinking I wasn't that smart. You are very eloquent in your writing. The smart people out there often don't even realize it. Don't give up on yourself.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2017, 8:39 am

Getting a 4 year degree opens up more job opportunities.

Just like the Santa and Autistics, your working environment may make a bigger difference in whether you can do a job than your job title or what you actually do for work.

You don't have to fit the stereotype to do well in a job. Professional baseball has realized you don't have to be tall to be a good baseball player.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... jo01.shtml
Jose Altuve won the Most Valuable Player award. The voting wasn't even close. He is short, just 5' 6" tall.

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2017, 11:26 am

I have volunteered in several classrooms and I work in an after school program at the local catholic school. I graduated with my bachelors degree in elementary education last December. Through these experiences I have learned that I can't handle large groups of kids at all. Managing a large class of kids is too much especially when there are a lot of kids with behavior problems to deal with. I don't mind working with small groups or one on one. I am socially awkward and the kids can pick up on it pretty quick and they will try and take advantage of me.

I also don't care much for ultra extroverted NTs. They can be overbearing and seem to force themselves on you. I especially don't like the ultra high pitched giggly voices. I find that autistic children like someone who is calming and doesn't talk down to them. If you like working with autistic kids, then you should do it.

Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Dec 2017, 12:47 pm

Thanks so much for the input!
I’m applying to the education program for next year. It’s 2 years. Hopefully in that time I can learn how to teach (I guess that’s the point of it!) and feel more confident. Also have more experience.

@ladyelaine: yes there are some NT kids who seem to have better social skills than me! I’m fine with behaviour problems like not sitting still or paying attention, but when kids shout out “witty” things, I have no clue what to say. :?

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2020, 5:56 pm

OP how did grad school and your job search go since you posted this?