wake me up in '66?

NOW we're talkin!! !! !! !

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2017, 4:17 am

Don't know what I would've done in that particular year or the ones that followed - probably more or less the same things I did as a kid either way. I do know, however, that I would've been 16-17 years old when Doom 3 came out in 2004. In which case, I would've needed to be less secretive about playing it for the first time back in 2007.

But then, had I been born in 1987, chances are I'd have been playing the NES instead of the PlayStation in my early childhood... Not that that'd necessarily have been a bad thing.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2017, 4:29 am

1987... the worst year of my life... couldn't go through that lit again.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2017, 11:02 am

I would prefer April 20, 1986, but 1987 would be nice, too.

I was actually kind of obsessed with the idea not long ago, after seeing the movie Somewhere In Time... ¬_¬ Obviously, none of my self-hypnotism attempts were successful, maybe I should start trying again.

My idea, provided that I'm the same age as I am now, would be that I would "wash up on shore", and pretend I've lost my memory. As long as I don't get polygraphed, I think it shouldn't be too hard to fake. Police will file for missing persons, but nobody will be able to identify me.

I've looked into other cases of amnesia, and it seems that everything after that point will be an uphill battle...it's not like you get a new social security card, a job to work at, or a place to live =| So I'm not sure where this hypothetical story would go from there, but it would sure be fun to see the old city again. At least for a little while (maybe it's always been rose tinted glasses?).

Would be pretty fun to collect Atari and NES back then, and it would be awesome to see a ton of my favorite films in the theatres. I'd be more than okay without HDTVs, digital video, Internet, etc...but I think not being able to check IMDB to remember who was in what would kind of bug me a bit =P I guess I would have to buy (gasp) a book.

I would like to try to visit my younger self, to give me some advice or something...but I think if I'm playing up the amnesia thing, it would be pretty difficult to convince my dad that I'm a "long lost cousin".

It would be especially weird to fall in love with a woman, only to find out that she's the mother of someone I know O_O Maybe I shouldn't stick around in the same town...

...and then one day in 2018, my friends will all wonder where I've disappeared to, and this grizzled 64 year old man will approach them and say "sorry I was gone for a little while, but I'm BACK now." 8O

Spooky.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2017, 11:10 am

I'd slowly put my money in Apple stock. No rush, as it will be years before it takes off, but I can wait for a 100x gain.

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2017, 1:31 pm

I would also try to listen to hip hop on a boom box, and try to find some graffiti tags and pieces, along with some wildstyles.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2017, 1:36 pm

Knowing me, I probably wouldn't even notice.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2017, 7:55 am

I'd buy old Nintendo games

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 1:43 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
Would I be the age I was then or will I still be the age I am now?

Good question.

If I woke up in 1987 as how I am now, I'd be in big trouble, with no papers etc. Unless anyone thinks I can persuade my surroundings that my 40 year old self is really 10!
And considering that I live at home... would we all wake up in 1987? Then at least it wouldn't just b me being out of time....

If on the other hand I woke up as my 10 year old self, I'd firt wonder what the bleep was going on! Once I realized that I was really back, it would be the Twilight Zone experience I have wanted for ages! I'd hope with all my might that it wouldn't just be temporary, but that got to relive the last 30 years with my loved ones, and experience all the good times (and unfortunately the deaths too) all over again, and maybe change a couple of things along the way.

Please let me wake up 10 years old tomorrow! There is so much I wanna do and see and experience all over again!

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 2:22 pm

I'd go and find my 1987 me and tell me to never leave the house again - far safer

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 2:26 pm

I would see my sister's birth

Midnightstar16
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 2:50 pm

TAKE ME TO THE ARCADE!!

..also, wake me up when it's 1999/2000.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 7:12 pm

What would you do if you woke up an 20 years old at a New Wave Club in 1987?

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Utopia97
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Dec 2017, 1:03 am

Do what I always do.

Join the Labour Party, and do stuff related to that.

I'd probably watch Spitting Image, get a job working for Royal Mail, and grieve for the WWW having not been a consumer service yet. Then inevitably immediately sign up for dial up as soon as we hit the early 90's. I'd also take a ride on this branchline, which closed in 1994:

I actually had a pretty vivid dream of waking up in the year 1995 once. That was pretty nice.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 1:45 am

If I woke up in 1987 I'd probably put the kettle on, roll a cigarette and have a s**t just like I do every morning.