Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

jon85
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Dec 2017, 10:51 am

I'm already trying to talk myself out of it.

But I am prepared. I have screenshots of the numerous aspie online test results plus notes on why I think I could have AS. The last doctor I suggested it to laughed at me. This time I'm going because I WANT a diagnosis, even if just to rule it out!

What are other peoples experiences getting diagnosis through NHS?

Stunning Images On T-Shirts, Homeware and More!!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2017, 10:59 am

You've come well-prepared---perhaps too well-prepared. But I guess you have to carry ammunition. I hope it all works out.

I would bet that many doctors wouldn't take those online "Aspie" tests seriously. They take, quite seriously, your functioning in childhood.

Are your parents coming for the interview, too?

jon85
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Dec 2017, 11:16 am

No. I don't remember that much of my childhood, but I do remember always being socially awkward and preferring to be on my own. I do remember intentionally hiding a lot of my weirdness because from a young age I was always being judged by members of my family (I know, I could hear them talk behind my back, sometimes not even subtly) and there seemed to be a lot I did that was 'wrong' or 'not normal' so I would prefer a lot to be by myself because then at least I could be me without any judgements. And I was also always told as a child if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. I'm pretty sure this is why now, as an adult, I chose not to speak to people at all because I can never be sure if what I want to say is classed as 'acceptable' or not.

I am dreading if i get to the point they want to interview my mum, she won't be helpful at all as I am sure I did very well to hide a lot of my weirdness, as well as what I couldn't hide, she wouldn't have picked up on anyway (she's that kind of person, as if she missed out on the whole maternal guidebook).

thewheel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Dec 2017, 11:22 am

I assume by appointment you mean with a GP to request referral, rather than it being the actual diagnostic testing?

Yes ultimately the best way is to take someone with you who knows you from childhood and can confirm symptoms were present. It’s hard for doctors to dismiss if there is an independent witness so to speak.

I suspect it is probably quite hard to get referred for a diagnosis straight up unless there are complicating factors. I got the referral through the psychiatrist at my local mental health services. It is a long-winded process.

The doctors will not be interested in how you score on online tests, they will be interested in indicative symptoms as well as evidence this is impairing your quality of life. Referral is expensive, they are unlikely to do it just because you want to know.

jon85
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Dec 2017, 11:26 am

I can't really take anyone with me who have known me from childhood because they all live in another city.

I do have notes I've written in regards to how the symptoms it affects me in life

moarjin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Dec 2017, 11:46 am

Be cool. Good luck.
And please, let us know how it goes. :-)

NT: 54
RAADS-R: 186

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2017, 1:00 pm

Diagnosed last year. Maybe I got lucky with a kind doctor but I asked for a referral 4 years ago and they had a chat to me and said it did seem I may be onto something. I didn't go to that appointment but 1 year ago I went back and explained I was now ready and another doctor referred me.

I did go private though as I didn't want to wait. Saw a neuropsychologist(?) who was 4 days NHS and 1 day private. My family still don't know so obviously couldn't take childhood person but I have been with my wife for 18 years so she answered a lot of questions in a letter before I went.

jon85
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Dec 2017, 2:31 pm

That went a whole lot better than I expected. The Dr I chose was one I've had positive experiences with in the past and today was no exception. He listens. Out of every Dr I have ever seen in the past, this guy is 100% dedicated to his patients. He understood me and even complimented me on coming to him on this subject, knowing its not an easy thing to talk about.

He has put forward a referral for me :)

Now, we wait and see I guess.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 5:24 am

That's excellent. Like you I have a doctor who really listens. Even though I only go about every 3 months, he still remembers things I told him on previous visits.

I'm happy for you. :D

LostGirI
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Dec 2017, 6:27 pm

I am so pleased for you OP. It makes a difference if you have a good doctor. You’ll have to let us know how everything turns out for you. I only got diagnosed myself in the summer