Why are bad habits easier than good habits?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 2:40 am

So recently I have had enough and decided to put a stop to some of my compulsive behaviours. These could be seen as "bad habits."
I was doing these things every day, without fail. Instead, I reasoned, I'd start up some good habits, like working out and meditating consistently every day. Doesn't have to be for a long time - maybe only 10 or 20 minutes if otherwise occupied, but I'd make an effort to start doing it as an every day habit. I'd definitely spend more time than that on my bad habits, no problem.
Intellectually I know both meditation and weights are good for me. They will help me reach goals I want to reach (looking good physically and enlightenment - not lofty at all :wink: ) and I want to do these things.
I don't want to enact bad behaviour anymore.
So, why is it so much easier to maintain a bad habit than a good one? Even if you genuinely want to do the good stuff, and not the bad stuff?
So frustrating.

The Musings Of The Lost
Toucan
Toucan

05 Dec 2017, 2:57 am

I dunno. But for me, working out is a habit now and it really annoys me if i ever miss a session

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

05 Dec 2017, 7:01 am

Maybe the problem is that it's generally harder to turn things into habits than it is to maintain the habits you have weather they are good or not.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Dec 2017, 7:17 am

Yeah, nick007 makes a really good point. Hard to break a habit and hard to make one.

I also think that the good habits generally require more effort. Lighting up a cigarette is way easier than going out for a run, and the brain rewards you the same for both. Just grabbing a cheeseburger on the way home is easier than it is to cook a decent meal when you get there.
And some bad habits are just more fun than the good ones. Like me looking at WP all day instead of working.

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 9:06 am

Because bad habits can be like a lesser form of addiction. It’s not quite addiction because it doesn’t take over your life—or at least, not for most people. But it lights up the same part of your brain as addiction.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 9:14 am

Kiki1256 wrote:
Because bad habits can be like a lesser form of addiction. It’s not quite addiction because it doesn’t take over your life—or at least, not for most people. But it lights up the same part of your brain as addiction.

Yar, but why don't good habits ever do that? Provided your brain is getting some reward from it? Seems very unfair of the human physiology if you ask me.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 11:23 am

Because humans are all bad by nature, so bad things are easier or more enjoyable for them to do.