Its virtually unknown for aspies to have a sense of humour

Page 1 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Dec 2017, 3:57 am

Reading an article about Einstein and newton possibly being autistic and a psychiatrist Glen Elliot at the University of California has stated “Elliott adds that Einstein had a good sense of humour, a trait that is virtually unknown in people with severe Asperger syndrome”. My first thought is are there that many misconceptions within psychiatry that the stereotypical Vulcan type persona is what general psychiatrists believe to be the norm. Opinions? https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn ... of-autism/

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 4:40 am

Eh, those articles are so called "dime a dozen."
I think many people have just started to ignore them. Because of course it's silly to claim that autistics can't have a sense of humour. What they may mean is that some people may not pick up on jokes or humour easily, perhaps interpreting the words literally (I certainly do this) but once I am used to someone's style of humour I can usually understand when they're joking. And I can still find things funny - to suggest you can't find something funny just because you're autistic is just ... silly.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 5:06 am

There are some autistic people who don't respond to jokes and comedy. That doesn't necessarily mean they don't think it's funny, they just don't respond to it. Others have a very dry sense of humor. Then there are others will laugh out loud at virtually anything, even stuff not meant to be funny. It seems obvious to me that Glen Elliott hasn't spent time at a school or day camp for autistics.

Introverticalibrated
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Dec 2017, 5:44 am

If it weren't for my sense of humor I'd probably have offed myself by now, to be perfectly honest. It's one of the traits my mom emphasized above most others.

Or which way the river's flowing...
Is it raining, is it snowing, is a hurricane a-blowing?
Not a speck of light is showing so the danger must be growing!
All the fires of hell are blowing, is the grizzly reaper mowing?
YES! the danger must be growing, for the rowers keep on rowing, and they're certainly not showing,
ANY SIGNS THAT THEY ARE SLOWING! OOOOAAAAAHHHHHHH!

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 5:50 am

There's also the opposite effect. I often laugh at what people say because I find their vocal inflections and emotional "performance" hysterical, but they think I'm laughing at their actual joke (which I usually find stupid and half-baked). They think we never get their jokes, but it never occurs to them maybe the jokes just aren't that funny to us.

NT interaction and socializing is just theater, a performance they all believe in because they don't really take a step back to observe from the outside. I think much of their behavior is just masking ego in other forms--such as forming bonds as a distorted expression of their self-centeredness. Their ego is a false religion they believe in steadfast.

Masakados
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Dec 2017, 7:44 am

I know it's untrue because of all the trouble I've gotten into because of my dark sense of humor. No one can keep up with it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 7:54 am

Basically garbage (with the emphasis on the 2nd syllable, which is pronounced “baahge).

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Dec 2017, 8:04 am

I often take an odd point of view which results in 2 things:
1) I say something that's not funny and the room bursts out laughing, or
2) I burst out laughing at something nobody else finds funny.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 8:05 am

I think you’re a cool chick ❤️

One apt description of me is “unintentionally funny.”

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 05 Dec 2017, 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

MagicKnight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Dec 2017, 8:10 am

If it's true that people with Asperger's don't have a sense of humour, then I'm not an aspie. I have a very elaborate sense of humour. It's not my fault if people don't always get it, but I sense some seem to like it.

wbport
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Dec 2017, 8:22 am

I kinda like puns and jokes that can be interpreted more than one way such as "Scientists have been able to grow vocal chords in a petri dish. The results speak for themselves." :lol:

MagicKnight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Dec 2017, 8:53 am

wbport wrote:
I kinda like puns and jokes that can be interpreted more than one way such as "Scientists have been able to grow vocal chords in a petri dish. The results speak for themselves." :lol:

That's a good one!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 9:49 am

The quote is attributed to a Glenn Elliot, a pyschiatrist at the University of California.

So...write Dr. Elliot. Ask him "how can I break into psychiatry?" And add that "it must be an easy field to get a high paying position in like yours because they hired an incompentent idiot like you!"

"No....seriously...how were you able to break into the field. I wanna know how to pull off that scam myself!"

Then if Dr Elliot gets upset, and threatens you with a restraining order you can just write back "what's the matter dude? Don't you have....a sense of humor?"

Last edited by naturalplastic on 05 Dec 2017, 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 9:52 am

Doesn't it depend on the type of humour?

I've always liked jokes, but my assessment says that I showed limited humour, presumably because the type of humour the psychologist was testing for was the type that's difficult for those on the spectrum.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 10:02 am

I howl like a Wolfman on the subways; it seems, sometimes, as if I only see the "humor" in that.

On a different note, even Aspies have the same "humours" (the medieval conception of them) as "normal" people.

AspieAlphys28
Raven
Raven

05 Dec 2017, 10:11 am

that's a ridiculous statement! i have been notorious in my family for my sense of humor, aspies are some of the funniest people i've met! maybe our humor is too complex for the simple neurotypical mind to understand :P

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 154 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 72 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

░█▀▀▄░░░░░░░░░░░▄▀▀█
░█░░░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀░░░█
░░▀▄░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▄▀
░░░░▌░▄▄░░░▄▄░▐▀▀
░░░▐░░█▄░░░▄█░░▌▄▄▀▀▀▀█
░░░▌▄▄▀▀░▄░▀▀▄▄▐░░░░░░█
▄▀▀▐▀▀░▄▄▄▄▄░▀▀▌▄▄▄░░░█
█░░░▀▄░█░░░█░▄▀░░░░█▀▀▀
░▀▄░░▀░░▀▀▀░░▀░░░▄█▀
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░▄▀▄░▀▄
░░░█░░░░░░░░░▄▀█░░█░░█
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░█▄█░░▄▀