Calmer In Urgent/Emergency Situations Than Non-Emergencies

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 11:16 pm

@ Xatrix: bet you dollars to donuts that if that child is crying because it's been injured, you'd hardly hear it and would respond to the emergency like a pro.

Yeah, I think this is probably one of the things we are for, why we keep popping up in the gene pool.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 11:21 pm

elbowgrease wrote:
Yes, but my usefulness is kind of limited.
They're kind of like zen moments, when I just react without thinking and am amazed when I look back and try to figure out how I did what I did.
I think it's part of why I'm an adrenaline junkie, and into jazz.

I, too, experience this phenomenon. Although, I’m not in any way, an adrenaline junkie.

Jazz is my favorite music genre.

ZachGoodwin
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 11:39 pm

I'm overly emotional in both situations. I don't think I'd be able to handle emergency or urgent situations.

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 11:43 pm

What does it mean when a person’s post (Zach’s, in this case) states ‘topic bumped by Britte’, at the very bottom? I did not bump a topic. How would one do that, apart from simply writing in the thread? strange.

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 11:45 pm

I guess for me a course of actions becomes clear suddenly. When I'm calm it's usually in situations where I'm weak, like social ones. Those make me extremely nervous because I have no idea what I'm doing and there's simply too many things to think about, while when a major situation or an emergency occurs my brain can prioritize that and quickly create a course of action to follow, as well as backups incase of failure.

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 11:58 pm

xatrix26 wrote:
This is a very interesting aspect that many of us seem to share. I wonder if this is Autism related or simply a wild coincidence. This is definitely worth further study.

Interesting. Isn't it?

Indeed, I wonder the same, after reading the posts in this thread. I, too, will be doing some research. Thanks for sharing your experiences, here!

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 12:17 am

wrongcitizen wrote:
I guess for me a course of actions becomes clear suddenly. When I'm calm it's usually in situations where I'm weak, like social ones. Those make me extremely nervous because I have no idea what I'm doing and there's simply too many things to think about, while when a major situation or an emergency occurs my brain can prioritize that and quickly create a course of action to follow, as well as backups incase of failure.

Perhaps this explains, at least, in part, why this characteristic could be prominent in Autistic people. pondering...

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 12:38 am

ZachGoodwin wrote:
I'm overly emotional in both situations. I don't think I'd be able to handle emergency or urgent situations.

Perhaps, the opportunity to find out, simply hasn't presented itself. Or, it should matter, not, as you have the gifts of kindness, nurturing and spreading positivity.

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 1:45 am

Esmerelda Weatherwax wrote:
@ Xatrix: bet you dollars to donuts that if that child is crying because it's been injured, you'd hardly hear it and would respond to the emergency like a pro.

Yeah, I think this is probably one of the things we are for, why we keep popping up in the gene pool.

You could be right Esmerelda! And your point is well taken - aside from regular Autistic overstimulation issues, a legitimate emergency situation might bring out the best in me.

:D

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

06 Dec 2017, 4:50 am

The same :) I remained calm and focused when lost in mountains in winter and when assaulted, and when my daughter was losing her breath - in all the mentioned situations I managed to calmly find a working solutions but the everyday social stress is killing me.

I posted it in another thread but nobody replied, so I repost the news: there is a recent research suggesting this may be a typical reaction for HF ASD:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 124717.htm

My interpretation is: we are the ones to remain calm when others panic and to keep guard when others rest. The society needs us :)

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 8:01 am

Reminds me of another time when I lived alone and accidently sliced open my arm. I was always very clumsy in my training and someone managed to bluff my way through it. In this situation however, I managed to bandage it up before I even realized what I did. I bet I would never be able to replicate what I did in a controlled environment.

What's weird is that I am a highly emotional and high energy person otherwise: I would imagine many people might assume I have ADHD. Still, when we had a fire at my apartment building a couple of years ago everyone let me take command without a word being spoken.