I am AS & go by my full name. 55%  55%  [ 18 ]
I am NT & go by a nickname. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I am NT & go by my full name. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 33

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 11:51 pm

Anything but my real full name is just an insult. Everyone who knows me knows this to be absolutely and unequivocally true about me. Perhaps this has something to do with misread intentions from others and being unable to read them properly when somebody uses a nickname? Whether or not it's an insult or a compliment?

The issue of nicknames has always bothered me and I don't use nicknames for other people either for the same reason. It's just too much of an uncertainty principle.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 12:07 am

xatrix26 wrote:
Anything but my real full name is just an insult. Everyone who knows me knows this to be absolutely and unequivocally true about me. Perhaps this has something to do with misread intentions from others and being unable to read them properly when somebody uses a nickname? Whether or not it's an insult or a compliment?

The issue of nicknames has always bothered me and I don't use nicknames for other people either for the same reason. It's just too much of an uncertainty principle.

By full real name, do you mean first name, middle name, last name?

I go by my middle name, last name but nearly everyone around here just calls me by my middle name.

There is hardly anyone who doesn't know who I am in town even if I don't know them. A couple of years ago some high school girl was selling cookie dough to raise money in the local school. I had never seen her before and I was standing in front of someone else's house, but when she was filling out the paper, she wrote down my name correctly without asking!

Another time I pulled up to the drive up window at the pharmacy to pick up a prescription. I had no idea who the woman was at the pharmacy was, but she went and got my prescription and handed it to me without asking my name. With me was the son of an old friend who had come here for a couple of weeks. It really impressed him that she knew who I was without asking.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 12:48 am

My family and relives all call me Shea (my middle name). Some internet friends have called me Ezzy and or Ez. I'm fine with all those and being called Ezra too. It's up to them which they want to use far as I'm concerned.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 3:25 am

SplendidSnail wrote:
A shorter version of your full name doesn't count as a nickname, right? I answer to both my full name and its shortened version.

Same here. Zanne is the shortened version I'm known as at college and on Facebook. A few people outside of those also call me that. My family use the full version.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 9:28 pm

renaeden wrote:
SplendidSnail wrote:
A shorter version of your full name doesn't count as a nickname, right? I answer to both my full name and its shortened version.

Same here. Zanne is the shortened version I'm known as at college and on Facebook. A few people outside of those also call me that. My family use the full version.

I do sort of wonder whether I would have gravitated more towards the shortened version if I had been NT. It does seem more common in general...

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 9:35 pm

I always thought it would be cool to go by a shortened version of my real name, but people never really have called me that. Only my best online friend does.

TTRSage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Dec 2017, 11:39 pm

I reply to anything, even "hey you". Family and hometown people have always called me by my full name but everybody else has called me by my nickname (just a shortened version of my full name), which I prefer. I sign my full name but always answer the phone by my nickname. For years I worked as an engineer at a large radar site overseas and when US personnel called to talk to me they would have to go through all the console operators and others to get connected to me. So their first words to me were always "let me talk to my-nickname". I spent so much time answering, "yeah, this IS my-nickname" that it became habit as my standard way of answering the phone. I still do this today, 25 years after I returned to the US.

By the way that is the origin of my TTRSage username. The radar where I worked was called TTR (Target Tracking Radar... there were many of them built worldwide back in the 1950/60s) and after 18 years I was generally considered to be the local authority on that radar. So I put the words TTR and Sage together to come up with my username here.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2017, 7:44 am

I have a nickname which I've sort of adapted as my "real" name. Most people rarely call me by my full name either way, so I've taken to calling myself by my nickname as well.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2017, 11:25 am

I go by a nickname. I don't think anybody I know actually calls me by my real name.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2017, 5:47 pm

I can be picky about my nicknames as well. Prefer that they're male and they go along with my personality or special interests. I like Sweet Pea, Om Nom and anything to do with Schultz. I also like the odd Mick sometimes because of The Kinks.

I don't like female sounding nicknames.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2017, 11:45 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I have a cute nickname that my best friend calls me. Big Baby Schultz.

I love that!

When I graduated to junior-high school during my mutism years, I had my mother buy me some back-to-school Peanuts "Snoopy" T-shirts. I ended up being called "Snoopy" for a few years since I refused to tell anyone my real name, or anything else about me for that matter. To this day, I doubt they ever learned my real name.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

MissChess
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Dec 2017, 1:54 pm

My given name is unusual. People who see it written will mispronounce it, which I hate. People who hear it spoken will misspell it, which I hate even more. It feels as if they're trying to change my identity, which is probably oversensitivity on my part after a lifetime of people trying to...you know...change my Aspie identity.

My nickname is Chess, and I invite anyone and everyone to use it. :)

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2017, 2:05 pm

Mine gets mispronounced and misspelled too. I have to spell it for everyone (for business purposes), but people have trouble understanding my diction, especially over the phone. (One time somebody put my name down as "Eiooeeee", which is not even close!)

Buc
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Dec 2017, 2:15 pm

I go by a nickname. My real name is too white. I also hate it when people spell my name with only 1 L.