Things that annoy you if you live in an apartment.

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 2:38 pm

Well I suppose I will go first. When me and my boyfriend moved in here, we thought it was nice how heat efficient the building seems...we hardly had to have the heat on in our unit for it to be warm enough, in fact even had to open the window a bit a couple times to let it cool off a little. So yeah figured the heat bill may be nice and low.

Well apparently others living in the building like to leave a rock in the front doors or back door, or all of them...so the doors ajar letting all the heat out and lots of cold in, and thus its started feeling quite chilly unless I crank the heat up for a while.

Plus I kind of worry it will increase the heat bill of the whole building which might increase utilities for everyone, though not sure if that's how it works or not. Either way it is rather frustrating, I get if someone needs to step out for a minute sticking something in the door to keep it open...but its been getting left open like all night and day and its been pretty cold a few nights, kind of a weird winter so not every night is even very cold but for the ones that are there's no sense in having the door open.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 2:59 pm

My boyfriend lives in an apartment and although it's in a rather quiet area of the town, there are still things that bug me when I'm there.

The woman that lives above him is an insomniac and is also an obsessive cleaner. So she is often up all night, and you can always hear her feet making the floorboards squeak above you, sometimes you hear her moving things about and tidying stuff. Then during the day she vacuums about 4 times, which you can hear. I hate that sound of a vacuum being pushed back and forth on the floor right above you.
But I know I can't say anything because you can't stop a person from moving about in their own home. But it's still annoying.

Also I worry about fires. We can be as careful as we can with our electronics or candles, and there is a reliable trip switch, but you can't control what other people in the same block do. They might smoke several cigarettes in their bed or leave candles unattended with animals or babies in the room or forget to turn off the gas stove, and then boom! Everybody living in the same block loses their home. And I care more about my possessions than my own life (I would save my boyfriend but if he can save himself then I would save my most precious possessions before saving myself).

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 3:11 pm

I love my flat but if I could change anything then it would definitely be not to have to carry my bike up 2 flights of stairs every night and also I would love to have a window in my bathroom as well.

MariaTheFictionkin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 3:15 pm

One of the things that annoy me is knowing that my neighbors can probably hear me have conversations with my soulbonds. Especially if I'm being loud at that moment. Also, when I'm having a.... "moment" and end up slamming and throwing things around...

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 5:49 pm

The neighbours that argue right behind a thin wall. I swear I will call the police one day.
And the fact it is difficult to realize which intercom is calling because all have the same sound and I can hear the intercom from 4 flats in my room(2 sides, up and down). I did miss ours a few times because I thought the sound is coming from the neighbors and I did pick up some that was not for me (and I heard everything, lol).

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 9:20 pm

I worry a lot that my neighbors can hear me, although it's quiet most of the time in the other apartments now. It wasn't like that when I lived in the ground floor, though. I used to have people living above me in the apartment I am now getting really drunk and blasting loud music late at night when I'm trying to sleep and banging around a lot. Another time the guy in the apartment right next door to me started running a tattoo parlor and I could smell weird chemicals or something coming from it, plus we would play really loud music with a bass that thumped the walls. That was when the old landlord left and got some other guy he knew to look after it. It wasn't until that guy got fired and another landlord took over that things got quiet again.

At least, it is inside the building. We live across a high school so things get noisy outside. At least I'm too high up now for the brats to bang on my windows and scare the cats, but I had a real problem with them loitering all over my doorstep, smoking, spitting, littering and even putting graffiti on the walls. :x

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 10:39 pm

My room is too small, and I have to keep my phone right by my bed, so I get tempted to use it too much!

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 11:15 pm

Kiriae wrote:
The neighbours that argue right behind a thin wall. I swear I will call the police one day.
And the fact it is difficult to realize which intercom is calling because all have the same sound and I can hear the intercom from 4 flats in my room(2 sides, up and down). I did miss ours a few times because I thought the sound is coming from the neighbors and I did pick up some that was not for me (and I heard everything, lol).

When I used to live in one apartment complex in Houston, the police used to show up quite often to some couple's apartment on the second floor. I was on the third floor. One day I was standing in the walkway watching the police walk by when I looked down and saw on the first floor where someone had a fenced in area by the apartment and saw that it was full of what I'm sure was marijuana. I don't guess the police ever looked down at it because they couldn't have missed it.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 11:55 pm

In one apartment I lived in near the Johnson Space Center in Houston, each apartment had an assigned parking space. But when someone else parked in your space, they refused to do anything to have the vehicle towed.

Someone used to regularly park his pickup in my parking space and I did my best to try to convince a tow company to tow it off, but they always refused.

I'm surprised I didn't do something to the loser's pickup.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

07 Dec 2017, 8:04 am

The walls are really thin & probably have no insulation so we can hear noises from our neighbors very easily. The 1s on one side of us leave the TV or radio on almost all the time lately & it has heavy bass. It sounds pretty loud sometimes when we're watching TV. We're night people who go to bed when others are waking up. The guy sleeps with his kid daughter & sometimes at night he'll start yelling at her things like "quit moving I'm trying to sleep", "I don't want to feel your body against mine", "be quiet" ect. We think we disturb her sometimes if we're in our bedroom so we try to spend time downstairs at nights instead but the bass from the TV/radio is pretty loud down there & there's a noise ordinance from 10 to 6. The girl also runs around a lot during the day sometimes & we can hear loud banging & feel the floor vibrating at times. She used to cry very easily too & the guy would start screaming at her to shut up which of coarse made her cry more.

We're also not supposed to smoke in our apartments or rite outside but those neighbors smoke in their apartment which sets off their smoke alarms at times & sometimes our place reeks of smoke.

My girlfriend has a stress illness on top of anxiety & depression along with other mental & physical issues & these kinds of things really upset & frustrate her.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 3:06 pm

The landlord got some people over this past summer to finally fix the roof. They had to replace the whole thing. Also the workers blocked the door to my apartment because they thought there was a back door that I could go out of. At least they moved things around to make a space wide enough for me to get in and out of when my mother and I told them. Why my landlord didn't tell them I have no idea why.

But I still have big, hideous cracks in the ceiling of the spare room. Hopefully with the new roof there won't be any leaks from snow getting inside the attic and melting. And my door is rusting away and it really get replaced. When we had a major storm a couple of months ago the door blew open, I couldn't keep it shut and locked, and the cats got out. I had to push the garbage can downstairs against the door to keep it from blowing back open. And of course I was worried about the cats, but I got them back indoors the next day.

And just a couple of weeks ago the faucet in my bathroom broke, and my dad had to replace it with new one. Obviously, my parents are much more reliable. I'd hate to think what it would be like if *they* weren't around to help.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

07 Dec 2017, 8:22 pm

One thing I forgot to mention is that our refrigerator broke & it took 10 days before we got a new one. We called maintenance on a Friday & they said someone will come Monday to take care of it since it was a weekend but noone came. I called management Tuesday & they sent a repair guy out the next day which was Wednesday & the guy said we'll get a new one. Management called me the next day which was Thursday & he came over & measured it. He called the next day which was Friday & said we'd have a new one on Monday.
F#ck if we were in our own home we would of just went to places Friday which was shortly after it broke or on the next day if they were closed & ordered one then. it would of been alot less stressful & we would of got it alot faster & maybe we could of saved more of our food & had better food options to eat instead of just nonrefrigeratorebles or eating out for most of 10 days.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2017, 11:16 am

kokopelli wrote:
In one apartment I lived in near the Johnson Space Center in Houston, each apartment had an assigned parking space. But when someone else parked in your space, they refused to do anything to have the vehicle towed.

Someone used to regularly park his pickup in my parking space and I did my best to try to convince a tow company to tow it off, but they always refused.

I'm surprised I didn't do something to the loser's pickup.

Yeah, parking spots are a huge issue where I live too.
The whole street is for "residents only" but noone cares because with so many people living here (300 flats, one short street, each flat contains 2-3 people on average, including students that move in and move out every half of year) you can't really say who is a resident and who isn't. And even if it was really "residents only" its still not enough room fro all the resident cars.
But it's an issue with the whole city. And they even remove parking spaces to make parks. They do build P&Rs at the outskirts of the city but they are mostly empty because people prefer fighting over parking spots and waste time in traffic jam.
Fortunately the public communication is good, especially trams. Buses get caught in the traffic jam and reach their stops at random times.

MariaTheFictionkin
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2017, 5:57 pm

Having random maintenance inspections without being notified beforehand. This used to be a problem for me with the old management. I could be taking a shower or something and some strange man comes walking in the house (never actually happened but it was a possibility).

Having inspections in general just bother me as well. I understand the necessity for it... but I don't like having strangers in my space traipsing around the rooms. Doesn't make me feel safe. Hence why when possible, I try to leave when it's time for an inspection.

Phrygian
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Dec 2017, 6:11 pm

My hearing is extremely sensitive, so I get distracted quite easily by sounds from neighbours. It's a curse... sigh..

It's one of the reasons I want to buy a house as early as possible.