A cooking forum would be nice. Italian cooking question

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 7:11 pm

Esmerelda Weatherwax wrote:
^^ oh, I'm sorry! That sounds like an allergy, and a particularly nasty one.

Sometimes allergies can go away or become much less severe, but since I avoid cheeses so well it's hard to tell if it is changing at all.

On the other hand I milk, ice cream, and butter pose no allergy problems to me. Starting when I was about 20, I did have to start using lactaid when eating ice cream or a bowl of cereal.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 7:26 pm

East Asian dishes don't use cheese.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 7:28 pm

BTDT wrote:
East Asian dishes don't use cheese.

That's one of the most attractive things about their food to me. I don't have to ask whether it has cheese in it.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 9:48 pm

You might also see if making the sauce one day before, and letting it get all familiar with itself in the fridge overnight, helps. It's shocking how much more flavorful a tomato-based sauce is with overnight sitting. [Disclaimer: not a gourmet, not even a real foodie. Just like to cook.]

Most restaurants make stuff like sauces ahead of time because there is only so much you can do at once when the customers show up. You can see what they really do if you watch the Food Channel.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 9:52 pm

^^ making the sauce in advance - OK, makes a lot of sense! :-)

I don't have a TV, just a laptop, but links to cooking videos come up when I search recipes, and they're very useful. (My favorite deli has one TV, and that's what they have it tuned to - the Food Channel. Love it.)

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 10:01 pm

We need a cooking forum and some form of fashion forum...lol I am not into mainstream fashion but I still feel we could give each other tips and things about looking presentable and such. I mean since a lot of us probably don't dress very mainstream we could even share advice on how to go for looks outside of that...like more alternative based and such.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 10:08 pm

BTDT wrote:
You might also see if making the sauce one day before, and letting it get all familiar with itself in the fridge overnight, helps. It's shocking how much more flavorful a tomato-based sauce is with overnight sitting. [Disclaimer: not a gourmet, not even a real foodie. Just like to cook.]

Most restaurants make stuff like sauces ahead of time because there is only so much you can do at once when the customers show up. You can see what they really do if you watch the Food Channel.

How long do the good ones keep the sauce before making fresh sauce?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 10:18 pm

kokopelli wrote:

Sometimes allergies can go away or become much less severe, but since I avoid cheeses so well it's hard to tell if it is changing at all.

On the other hand I milk, ice cream, and butter pose no allergy problems to me. Starting when I was about 20, I did have to start using lactaid when eating ice cream or a bowl of cereal.

Why not just use soy milk, almond milk or something like that for cereal...I mean as far as I can tell I am not at all lactose intolerant really, but I still don't think tons of dairy is very healthy. I mean cows milk is meant for growing/developing calfs not adult humans...haven't eaten much cereal in a while but if I did I would probably try something like that instead of dairy milk.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 10:19 pm

One thing I keep meaning to try to make is fondant potato.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 10:21 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
kokopelli wrote:

Why not just use soy milk, almond milk or something like that for cereal...I mean as far as I can tell I am not at all lactose intolerant really, but I still don't think tons of dairy is very healthy. I mean cows milk is meant for growing/developing calfs not adult humans...haven't eaten much cereal in a while but if I did I would probably try something like that instead of dairy milk.

I don't use much dairy at all outside of butter and I don't use enough butter at any one time to need lactaid with that.

Also, the other "milk" products around here can be pretty expensive because there isn't much demand for them. I'm not even sure that the grocery store gets them in very often.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 11:13 pm

The store had heavy cream on sale so I made cream brulee tonight. This time I'm adding the caramelized sugar one serving at a time so it is crisp when I eat it.

Kelby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2017, 4:02 am

I LOVE creme brulee! I learned to do that with a friend, who is an amazing pastry chef. We had to basically, burn the top layer with a lighter and it created that thin crisp/glass-like, top. How did it turn out (if you don’t mind me asking)?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2017, 10:05 am

It turned out great! I used a propane torch to caramalize the sugar and get that glassy top layer. I learned from my first batch that if you put them back in the refrigerator you lose the crunchiness, so I'll be doing them one at a time, just before I eat them. I learned from watching Japanese cooking that they put on emphasis on doing things just right... and practicing a lot on just one dish.

Kelby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2017, 7:08 pm

Nice to hear about your experience. Thanks for sharing Japanese cooking philosophy. I've noticed how precise Japanese chefs are. I've thought about the artistic aspect of Japanese food preparation, while sitting at Sushi bar. It's mesmerizing to watch.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2017, 9:43 am

https://www.saltfatacidheat.com/

An excellent book on how to season food properly. Based on a quick read I'd suggest salting the chicken the day before and making sure you are using top grade olive oil. There is a lot of bad olive oil sold in the states.

https://www.mnn.com/food/healthy-eating ... prevent-it

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/mo ... il-we-use/