Page 2 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 3:15 pm

TheAP wrote:
I don't get why some NT kids/teens feel the need to be in constant communication with each other and don't have the courtesy to shut up when a teacher/leader is trying to talk.

I work in the afterschool program at a catholic school. The kids never stop talking and they are always loud. I think they'd get their homework done faster and get better grades on it if they would just stop talking and playing around. We do roll call everyday and it takes forever because the kids won't be quiet long enough to get it done quickly. Why is it so hard for kids to be quiet for five minutes?

Adults also have difficulty being quiet when a pastor, teacher, or other leadership types are talking. I have seen and heard people in my church talking to each other during mass. I have had classmates in college classes that talked to each other or played on their phones during lectures.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 3:26 pm

AP-that has to be very aggravating.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 3:33 pm

HistoryGal wrote:
AP-that has to be very aggravating.

It is, especially because it means the teacher may make a generalized comment about the whole class, and say that we're all too noisy or that we're immature or something like that, which upsets me. When I was in school, I developed a hypersensitivity to that and to people talking in general.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 4:03 pm

Tawaki wrote:
For whatever it's worth.

It is not just NTs who will not shut up.

My Aspire husband can monolog for 90 minutes holding everyone in the room hostage on his special interests. He doesn't see all the non verbal body language that people have lost interest within the first 8 minutes of the monolog.

Now... He thinks NTs won't shut up, but that is because he has zero interest in their topics. Of course, he starts on his topic (esoteric, a handful of people in the world might give a crap topic), my husband runs his mouth like a Senate filibuster.

This monologing was one of the first indications that he had ASD.

NTs don't have a lock on the mouth diarrhea.

Have you pointed out the hypocrisy to your husband?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 4:06 pm

HistoryGal wrote:
Chances are the autistics Ezra is referring to aren't filling the air with useless tidbits. Their talking serves a specific purpose in my opinion.

NT's are the ones thinking everyone wants to hear what they did last weekend or their kids etc. A little of that nonsense goes a long ways and should never interrupt class instruction. I work in education. How do we keep the kids on task if the adults can't reign it in?

I am sure what they are talking about is perhaps their interests so maybe to them what we talk about is useless to them? Aspies also seem to think everyone wants to hear about their special interest just like how NTs think everyone wants to hear about theirs which is their personal lives. It goes both ways.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 5:18 pm

TheAP wrote:
I don't get why some NT kids/teens feel the need to be in constant communication with each other and don't have the courtesy to shut up when a teacher/leader is trying to talk.

I remember that when I was at school. In the first 2 years of school the kids did sit quietly while the teacher talked, but when kids got to about 7 years old they found it harder to shut up. Actually the boys were more noisier than the girls, but it might be because there seemed to be a lot of shy girls in my class, while the boys seemed more hyper. But both genders became hard to shut up as they grew older.

I don't really notice adults talking over the leader/tutor/boss, though. Often we have meetings at work and everybody mostly knows to be quiet and listen as a group, and same goes for the training sessons we have too. With adult classes and training courses, the tutor is like a friend to the rest, where as a teacher in a classroom full of children is just a "bossy adult" to them.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 5:22 pm

Kids in college are usually more respectful than kids in high school.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 7:04 pm

League Girl, I do not talk about my special interests while at work. NTs don't need any sympathizers considering they have most of the world. Please be a little more understanding for those of us drowning in all the endless chatter.

anti_gone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Dec 2017, 8:35 pm

HistoryGal wrote:
To those NTs that can't stand any periods of silence. It's hard to hear constant chatter and that's exactly what some people do.....

Why do NTs feel the need to constantly talk about themselves? Are they needy for attention?

You can't very well say you are not interested when one of attention seekers approaches you. Just try to show your lack of interest indirectly by your body language.

I'm not interested in your grandchildren, grown kids, high school kids, where you went on vacation etc. After all I keep my special interests to myself and share only with likeminded people.

Actually, I talk way too much and I'm an aspie :oops: Especially when I'm nervous I feel like I have to keep talking because otherwise the anxiety would be overwhelming. Also, I talk way to much about myself, about how I am bad at stuff and about how I feel bad about this and that. The rest is usually complaining about other things.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 9:23 pm

Antigone- I'd be cool with listening to you.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 10:48 pm

HistoryGal wrote:
So I guess my point is lost here.

No I get it. You think "NT's" as you call other people are worthless pieces of s**t and you hate their guts and want them all to stfu.

HistoryGal wrote:
Chances are the autistics Ezra is referring to aren't filling the air with useless tidbits. Their talking serves a specific purpose in my opinion.

Nope it's mostly just garden variety yammering.

Last edited by EzraS on 11 Dec 2017, 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 11:14 pm

EzraS wrote:
You obviously don't spend time around aspies. If I made a recording of all the chatter at my school cafeteria you'd know what I mean :lol:

lol every autistic I know talks to themselves.

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 11:18 pm

The book I think about when someone bumps this thread

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 11:39 pm

Syd wrote:
The book I think about when someone bumps this thread

What's it about?

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2017, 7:48 am

Kinda sorta. Not quite how I would phrase it but I do dig it. To Ezra. I'm not offended at your paraphrase. I rather fancy it.

MariaTheFictionkin
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2017, 8:10 am

This is my own take in what I originally assumed the title was about before I read the posts following it...Hopefully what I'm about to say still relates to the topic somewhat.

People would get annoyed with me because I always talk about Shadow the Hedgehog, the Sonic series and all the other "weird" things I fixate on, including sex. Oh yes, I can talk up hours about that stuff. This was one of the initial reasons I started to go quite in most places, because whenever I opened my mouth it ends up leading me into a negative situation. Like when I first started going to college and tried to make friends. I would be told to "Shut up" "Stop talking about him!" and "No one cares!" It's just when a conversation arises that I'm either uninterested in or have a hard understanding relating to it, I try to incorporate my own life which ends up with Shadow being the center of focus for the most part.

One instance back in 2013 I was with one of my former friends (I still talk to him on Facebook sometimes) at a table in one of the open spaces at the college with some of his friends. I forgot what they were talking about but when I opened my mouth, I'm assuming I mentioned something about Shadow, one of his friends yelled at me to "GO AWAY!" He yelled so loud that everyone else at that area looked over to the table. I was shocked, confused and embarrassed and I felt like breaking into tears but I quietly got my stuff and left to go somewhere far away from the area to be alone.

From some posts I read on here mention that it's common for aspies/autistic people to be so enticed by their "special interest" where it becomes frustrating for them to focus on something else. I find it quite interesting if that is indeed the case.